PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as

wedders
29-05-06, 09:40 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted but I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer.

Just bought a nova that has been lowered 60mm all round. I won?t to raise the car up a bit as it's too low for me. The guy I bought it from said there is no such thing as 60mm springs you just use 40mm springs without the bump stops. Is this true?

I need to know what parts to buy

Thanks

Stanley
29-05-06, 09:42 PM
he is talking absolute garbage lol

you can buy 35/40/50/60mm kits from many retailers depending on what model you have but 40mm or 60mm seem the most popular.

hope this clears that up

draper
29-05-06, 09:42 PM
its bullsht mate, you can get bloody 100mm lowering springs, ive got some G-Max 4omm lowering sorings and shocks if your interested ?

-tucny-
29-05-06, 09:59 PM
bump stops dont have anything to do with the ride height. they just do what they say- 'bump stop', a sort of shock absorber for if the suspension 'bottoms out'. when lowering the car sometimes these need to be shortened slightley but this still dosent effect the ride hight. if your not sure what a bump stop is, have a look at the front shocker. inside the spring there may or may not be a plastic muck cover, lift this up and there will be a spongey type thing up at the top. if there isnt one then there should be.

back to your problem, a new set of springs (40/35mm) should raise the car back up for you and still keep a firm ride and providing the dampers are uprated the springs should go straight on no problems and you'll be fine, >?40 - ?65 for springs depending on brand and for under ?10 you will get new bump stops if you need them.

wedders
29-05-06, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies every one, thought he was talking rubish. Only thing I can think is he's removed the stops as it was hitting them all the time.

Will get the car jacked up and have a look.

Is 40mm more of a sensible drop or should I go higher? Car is on standard 13" wheels

draper
29-05-06, 10:34 PM
go lower !!!!!!

Adam
30-05-06, 12:21 AM
100mm on 13s ;)

craig green
30-05-06, 09:05 AM
Ive just put 60mm springs on a Nova on std 14" wheels & tyres. It is very low tbh & tad bouncy. 40mm should be OK in terms of practicality etc & you should find the bump stops will take less of a beating. You might just want fr springs though, with the 60mm rears you might find it sits level.

CG

SRlew
30-05-06, 09:35 AM
a couple weeks ago i thought id be clever and see what sort of "different" springs on the back. my brother cut some coils off his xr2. so the left over 3 coils, i put on the back of mine! (was just testing as i dont know how low to go) and f**k me it was low, was probably bout 130mm atleast! and it had no interior. and was on 15's but that was well to low.

one thing i found mate. the back is pretty high on 40mm. so dont get rid of your 60mm springs till you have tried the 40mm out.