PDA

View Full Version : What to look for, for an engine coverted car

RobMorris
28-05-06, 11:44 PM
Howdy chaps

Im after a Nova 2.0 16v...

What should i look for?
Does any prominent faults arise from the conversion?

Ive had turbos (RS, 200sx, Silvia S12 and drive a Rover coupe turbo at the mo) and i just want that kind of power from a light weight/ big engined car...

on average what 1/4 times does a 2.0 16v nova see?

Cheers Rob

Stuart
29-05-06, 12:17 AM
make sure the bay is stitch welded properly.
make sure its taxed etc as a 2.0
obv brakes and suspension upgrades too.

avg 20xe 1/4 mile is about 15ish iirc

craig green
29-05-06, 01:04 AM
Conversions can vary dramatically in details like eng bay wiring & dodgy gear linkages & even substandard welded up shafts.

Thinking about it, I'd want an XE fitted with all GM driveshafts & hubs & CV's etc as opposed the Mtech kits Ive heard horror stories about of late.

CG

Philsutton
29-05-06, 05:17 PM
main thing is welding, if it hasnt been welded walk away simple as.

Adam
29-05-06, 06:05 PM
I've heard a few people say welding isn't too important?
As when its welded it puts more strain on the shell as theres no "give" in it?

NickWalliams
29-05-06, 06:16 PM
a good shell can get away with welding for a std valver, but if it aint been welded what other corners have been cut?!

Lee
29-05-06, 07:03 PM
Check the clutch isnt heavy, cos if it is, the nipple where the cable passes through the bulkhead hasnt been modded properly, therefore youll be snapping clutch cables every few months. As mentioned above, another sign of an improper conversion!

Philsutton
29-05-06, 07:09 PM
I've heard a few people say welding isn't too important?

thats rubbish, people who say that:

1. dont actually drive the car
2. dont drive it properly

If you gave me a non welded one i bet i could have the front end hanging off it within the week lol.

bump
29-05-06, 08:45 PM
If you gave me a non welded one i bet i could have the front end hanging off it within the week lol.

Strangely enough Phil I believe you for some reason lol.

draper
29-05-06, 09:41 PM
main thing is welding, if it hasnt been welded walk away simple as.

i made this error, all i have left of my 1400 pound nova is a novadose rear bumper, digi dash and smooth boot

oh, and the desire/drive to get my hands dirty because that car was still fun !!

Paul
29-05-06, 10:51 PM
I know someone who has done over 50k in his 2.0 16v nova, totally standard, no strengthening what soever, no welding.

I also know someones who you could get 2 fingers in between the door and the wing, who didnt weld theirs!

Principally, strong shell doesnt need welding, but while the engines out it only takes a few hours tops, so really it should be donme.