PDA

View Full Version : Dump Valve for a cav 1.7 TD??

Nobby
28-05-06, 09:45 PM
JUst wondering if anyone knows where to get them from as i want 2 play with a cavi i juts bought as a run about for my old dear, are they easy to fit??:thumb:

General Baxter
28-05-06, 09:47 PM
they dont work the same as a petrol dump valve,

on the 1.7 and 1.5 TD it dumps all the boost when you let off, so it has to spin up allover again and you loose bhp and speed

just crank the boost up to 20psi and fueling to match and a FMIC :), up grade the exhaust and put the air filter stright onto the turbo

johnny27
29-05-06, 12:22 AM
as a matter of intrest, what does or what stands for FMIC? cheers

Adam
29-05-06, 12:23 AM
Forged Metal InterCooler?

General Baxter
29-05-06, 12:26 AM
front mounted fool lol

Adam
29-05-06, 12:28 AM
front mounted fool lol Really?
Where TF did i get Forged Metal from, Lol
I swear i've heard it called that before
:wtf::wtf:

Front mount, where else do you expect mount it, hmm, at the back :roll: Lol

Stuart
29-05-06, 08:29 AM
the imprezza and pug 306 TD have their IC's ontop of the engine.....
calibra turbos had the IC above the gearbox iirc. lol

you probably got forged from the fact a company called forge make them

Adam
29-05-06, 01:19 PM
Forge Motorsport InterCoolers.
that must of been what i was thinking of,lol.

TommySR
30-05-06, 11:45 AM
Always thought that was a stupid idea sticking the Intercooler on top of the engine like the Imprezas, surely that just soaks up all the heat from the engine when they are sat in traffic etc??

Stuart
30-05-06, 11:51 AM
i think tis so taht you dont need such a huge open face to the engine bay, therefore the aerodynamics are improved, which means better economy/top speed etc.... dont quote me, but that in my mind is the most reasonable explaination as to why its done. Also pipe routing and general packaging is easier ontop too.

Jack
31-05-06, 01:13 AM
I have a Forge DV... bling :D

And yeah, TMICs are cheaper than FMICs. Also, a TMIC requires a bonnet scoop - which the marketing boys and designers (who are driven by the public in some respects...) love. Evos have a vent because they don't need a scoop - there's no TMIC to ram air into - and I have a vent as I have a charge cooler instead of an intercooler :D

IMO FMICs and charge coolers are better than TMICS, as the vent allows hot air to vent from the engine bay on standing. I removed my underbonnet cladding this weekend which opened up the vent; the heat haze which comes out is great :lol:

/warble lol

novabex
31-05-06, 01:20 AM
TMIC's are retarded. What special kid decided to put the cooling system ontop of an engine FFS heat rises! It's common knowledge to any 11 year old.

GTiR's have top mounts as standard. Someone at Nissan must of employed a window licker in the design team. It's one of the reasons it failed so much as a rally car.

1.2t_chris
31-05-06, 07:19 AM
dont use a dv cos u need wastegste chatter

Jack
31-05-06, 08:14 AM
As said, TMICs are cheap, and require bonnet scoops which the public love. And if you can't put it in the front, the top is the next best place as you can cut the bonnet up (i.e. scoops) to force air over the cooler. Its only when the car is stationary that heatsoak is an issue, and when you're stationary you probably aren't using the turbo so don't need it operating at maximum efficiency ;)

novabex
31-05-06, 09:58 AM
dont use a dv cos u need wastegste chatter

Yeah because that shortens the life of your turbo as it's just the sound of air flowing back on to the blades. ****ing great idea. :thumb: :cry: