PDA

View Full Version : amp cutting out

LukeManic
27-05-06, 11:38 AM
Hello guys,

I had a sub and amp with 6x9's professionally installed last year, all Phoenix Gold gear attached to a very good Alphine HU (I'm not 100% sure all on the stats for it all - can get them all if it helps)

The setup was working fine for about 8 months but recently for no consistent reason the back (e.g. 6x9, sub & im' assuming the amp) all die and the HU stays on power just powering the front standard nova speakers, it dies for what can be 10secs to up to half a minute and then all comes back to life :confused:.

I've checked for loose connections, any other ideas what u guys think it might be? BTW it's a 1.5 TD so benefits from a high powered battery which is very new.

Thanks in advance.

Timmy
27-05-06, 01:33 PM
dose it happen at any particur time ? when your braking

LukeManic
27-05-06, 04:05 PM
no mate, completely random :(

dannyb
27-05-06, 05:07 PM
Amp overheating? on the side of my sony theres a little light which tells me if it has cut out due to it getting too hot (its says thermal next to it). How is the amp mounted, it there any ventilation underneath or is it screwed into carpet?

LukeManic
27-05-06, 05:16 PM
well thats what im thinking, but like i said - it was professionally installed, so I thought that would have been thought about and dealt with :confused: . It's mounted on the back of the rear seats in the boot. There is no lights indicating if it is overheating, I can't check to see if the amp is actually overheating and cutting out as a result as i'm driving when it usual happens :( .

novawez
27-05-06, 08:43 PM
sounds likethe amp is overheating my jbl did the same

dannyb
27-05-06, 11:33 PM
Perhaps mount the amp still on the back seat on 1 cm wooden blocks, use longer screws and see if it still does it. It won't look as pretty but it will eliminate one thing that it could be.

Jack
28-05-06, 12:36 AM
it was professionally installed, so I thought that would have been thought about and dealt with
You'd like to think that lol

Temporarily sit the amp in a cooler location to see if its heat causing the problem. You could then install a few fans to blow air over it.

mikey14sr
28-05-06, 10:54 AM
Heat travels upwards, with the way the amp is mounted all the heat will be at the top edge of it, most likely making the thermal protection cut in. If you can, try mounting it flat on the floor and see if it still cuts out. If it doesn't, then heat soak was the problem, if it does, the heat soak in the past may have damaged the internals.

LukeManic
29-05-06, 09:06 AM
ok guys, ill try all your suggestions - thanks for your help :)

one quick thing...

just drove for 6 hours with the HU on all the way and it didn't cut out once, sod's law lol

Tazzy
30-05-06, 04:23 PM
my amp is fixed to the back of the seat, and it does the same thing, only mines only been cutting out since i wired the sub up to it

philly
31-05-06, 12:08 PM
amp might not be powerful enough for the sub or vica versa and its going into protection

Ste L
31-05-06, 12:11 PM
you porbably have the gain too high, and cabling not rated to the power of the amp,

turn gain down a bit if it that helps

Tazzy
31-05-06, 01:54 PM
i think mine is only cutting out at the moment as i have a pair of 300watt 6x9s and a 1200watt sub running through 1 channel, as the other channel isnt working and its only a 2-channel amp, i need to get round to buying a new amp, but other things are more important!

oh well!