PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Nova opinions

wedders
24-05-06, 11:54 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum.

Some of you might think I'm mad but I've just purchased a nova on ebay with the intention of using on as a beginners trackday car. Cost me ?350

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4641043703&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&rd=1#ebayphotohosting (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4641043703&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&rd=1#ebayphotohosting)

I'm aware that it's not the best engine to put in a nova but for ?350 with mot and tax im hoping I can make the most of what it is. I went for it as the car was local plus the fact that it's an early Nova appeals to me.

I plan to get some new tyres as the ones on are all but illegal, replace the rear arches found these for ?10 each which my dad can weld in.

The main area of concern is the brakes they came from the same car as the engine (1.6 cav) if I was just to replace the disks and pads what?s my best option, will vented disks fit under the callipers?

Opinions and advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Wedders

Adam
25-05-06, 12:27 AM
Dont look bad, apart from the arch.
Looks quite tidy for the year.

It looks like a 1.6carb engine.

As for brakes, get some calipers off a 2L cavalier/calibra/astra gsi, then fit new pads and discs.
Much better than those 1.6 ones will be.
They might not fit under the wheels tho.

Welcome to Novaload btw :)

dannyb
25-05-06, 12:44 AM
It would be cheaper in the long run to buy 2ltr 16v Astra calipers, then fit standard discs and pads, these will provide ample braking power unless you plan to track day it then I'd suggest green stuff (or similar fast road) pads. The wheels are 14x5.5j iirc, the 256mm calipers and discs will fit under your wheels. Nice choice for a few hundred quid car btw!

craig green
25-05-06, 01:41 PM
Looks OK.

My parents old Cav L from way back had same reg prefix B***BPU.

yeah fix it up with decent brakes & handling & it'll be loadsa fun on track.

CG

draper
25-05-06, 04:38 PM
looks good mate, surprise a few people with that !!

Jack
25-05-06, 04:54 PM
Scchhhwwwiiing

Nice colour too ;)

wedders
25-05-06, 10:56 PM
:thumb: COOL thanks for all the coments. I'll post an update once I've got my hands dirty and made some progress.

vaughanmc
25-05-06, 11:26 PM
its the right reg..........make it a sport rep.

SuperNova!
25-05-06, 11:30 PM
Welcome to Novaload.

I think also you will be surprising loads of people and it will get you some great laughs.

The engine will be a 1600sv engine I have one and havent had any problems with it.

Good Luck
:thumb:

wedders
26-05-06, 09:06 AM
its the right reg..........make it a sport rep.

Yep I though that as well. I'll have some fun with it first, but a long a long turm plan might be to do a Sport replica.