PDA

View Full Version : Digidash wiring(solder, bullets) ???

Adam
24-05-06, 01:39 PM
What have other people used.

Will crimp terminals do, or scotch lock?
Or those screw block ones?

Or is it best to solder the wires?

The amount of wires and the space to work in looks a bit small to be able to solder each wire.

I dont want the speedo flashing off when i hit a bump because of a crap connection lol

:thumb:

bump
24-05-06, 02:58 PM
I say solder and heatshrink. Test it on choccy block then remove each side of the wire and solder it up.

Cheers

Bump

Adam
24-05-06, 03:01 PM
Mehh, its going to take ages soldering :( lol

I spose it is the most permanent way of connecting the wires, and so the safest.
Dont want a live wire come loose and be bouncing about behing the clocks,Lol.

Tim
24-05-06, 03:03 PM
deffo worth soldering and heatshrinking them, as u said u dont want them coming apart, and if a jobs worth doing then its worh doing right.

bump
24-05-06, 03:33 PM
It's a pain the backside but it's the best way of doing it. I've found that choccy blocks can work loose over time, solder on the other hand won't.

I'd say get a gas iron, much easier to work with in tight spaces.

Cheers

Bump

Ste L
24-05-06, 03:39 PM
i used scotch blocks had digi in my old sri over a year and never had a problem with it,

but if i was to do it again, i'd solder them

alistairolsen
24-05-06, 03:55 PM
all the nova terminals are the same as the ones in the astra black plug, so you can poke half of them out carefully with a screwdriver and swap them over, save joining them at all.

Once you have done that, solder and heatshrink the rest carefully, try and get them to be the right length so afterwards you can tape the loom up neatly, and ideally dont join them all in the same plce so you end up with a massive bulge

Tidy wiring is the way forward!

Adam
24-05-06, 04:20 PM
Ok, i'll give it a go when the dash arrives :thumb:

craig green
24-05-06, 06:37 PM
bulllet connectors have 3 joins in theory. Thus 3 x more likely to fail.

Solder & heat shrink em.

CG

SRlew
24-05-06, 06:44 PM
i have used crimp things, has worked fine. dont know if i want to keep it in when i put my gsi dash in so would be easier to swap back over etc.
am gunna solder one of them in though as it is defanantly the best option.

bump
24-05-06, 08:04 PM
De-soldering isn't exactly tricky. You can either used a solder sucker or braid for wires.

Cheers

Bump

Adam
24-05-06, 08:09 PM
Ye, its quite easy to just melt the solder and pull the wire off and replace it with another wire.

SRlew
25-05-06, 10:29 AM
ah why didnt i think of that!

bump
25-05-06, 11:08 AM
Just watch that you don't drop molten solder on anything you like (my scar from it has just about healed 10 years later).

Cheers

Bump