PDA

View Full Version : i need a faster nova!!!!!

jammyjoe
22-05-06, 10:13 PM
right i have an sri nova and my mate has just got him self a corsa 1.6 16v gsi.
what do i need to do to beat his car????
i was thinking engine change. if i put a nova gsi engine in it wil it have a chance??
would be great if anyone could help me.
cheers joe

dhdev (Oli)
22-05-06, 10:15 PM
what do i need to do to beat his car????

A lead right foot and balls of steel :p

Strip it add some decent brakes and suspension.

Or if its straight lines ur on about either 2.0 16v or NOS.

Stuart
22-05-06, 10:16 PM
i wrote a 1400 tuning guide in my sig link (link might be a bit iffy tonight as the web seems fecked)

Timmy
22-05-06, 10:17 PM
what size engine is an SRI? a Gsi or gter engine should drop in as far as iknow. stand corsa arn't much if as all faster than a 1.68v nova, due to a nova being lighter and better rotis. strip back seat out and anyother no essental and you have him beat

matthew172
22-05-06, 10:27 PM
gsi novas will have a standard corsa gsi but the nova sri isnt much slower than the nova gsi

Spudly
22-05-06, 11:03 PM
SRi`s are 1.4`s ande id say they are the best all rounders (along with the 1.4 carbed SR) a mate of mine has an extremely quick SRi and i think he has only chipped it with a decent filter and a 4-branch manifold and its tha fastest 1400 ive seen, definately want an SR engine for me 1.2 if anyone knows of a decent one looking for a new home lol!!!

Adam
22-05-06, 11:56 PM
A SRi with a decent exhaust, de-cat and 4branch manifold shouldn't be too far behind a corsa gsi.

craig green
23-05-06, 10:02 AM
A SRi with a decent exhaust, de-cat and 4branch manifold shouldn't be too far behind a corsa gsi.

But he wants to be in front.

Quite simply the easiest & surest route to success will be a bigger engine than the 1.6 16v.

Turbo'd 2.0 8v would be my choice of cossie beater.

CG

johnny27
23-05-06, 10:05 AM
for some unknow reason, every one i know agree's with me that the nova's with std suspension and decent wheels will out handle a corsa with moded suspension. Corsa's are very poor on corner's and have alot of roll and dive, but a nova with proper offset wheels is brilliant espically with 1 or 2 passangers. Go figure.

johnny27
23-05-06, 10:06 AM
a e16se on 40s and a few other engine mods would see a gsi corsa beaten very easily.

johnny27
23-05-06, 10:07 AM
the std gsi nova is around 100bhp where the corsa i think is only 106bhp, with the 40s running you'd be well over that

dannyb
23-05-06, 10:44 AM
Cheapest option is to sell your car and buy a GSi for all the messing around you would be doing to your car. It will probably be as cheap to insure a standard GSi as a modded SRi. BTW, I hope you are talking about faster on a track than on the road, as street racing is irresponsible, dangerous to you and other road users and may result in injury or death of a perfectly good Nova....

craig green
23-05-06, 10:48 AM
Beat him at his own game. Install a 1.6 16v & fit a Mantzel powerbox. Another 20 odd bhp over him + the power to weight ratio which is already in your favour & the fact that Nova's are far superior anyway.

CG

Iain
23-05-06, 11:03 AM
injury or death of a perfectly good Nova....

lol Safety of Nova comes first.

Welsh Dan
23-05-06, 11:09 AM
lol Safety of Nova comes first.

Especially if the shell is a minter :).

johnny27
23-05-06, 12:17 PM
i hate it when ppl convert to a 1.6 16v, come on the engine is from a corsa ! lol Nova's are much superior, the 1.6 gsi is a good engine, and the money you would spend doing a 16v conversion, you could have a 1.6 gsi nova engine with t40s setup, your choice of lairy cam and lifters, 4 branch, good system, B+ head if you can find one and much more. I would'nt overlook a tuned e16se they can become a fast engine, and the nova will out handle a corsa any day, so you have that advantage too.

johnny27
23-05-06, 12:18 PM
even with a near std nova gsi, maybe just exhaust system and air filter you would be as fast as a gsi corsa

Mike
23-05-06, 12:44 PM
Go all out power to weight? Keep the 1.4 (either SR or SRi) add twin 40's, cam with pully then manifold and system, possibly a big valve'd & polished head, strip out back end, fit buckets (considerably lighter than nova seats!!!) then proceed to get an uprated diff (either a Gripper or Qauife road spec item) and g/box.

With about 20%(max) power over standard combined with minimal transmission loss and an uprated more "pullable" transmisson setup, add light weight into the equasion plus cheap 1.4cc insurance/running cost's equals a very scary to drive but incredibly fast nova that WILL keep with VTR's and VTS's if needed, let alone corsa gsi's!

(all above based on own experience with my own nova SR)

johnny27
23-05-06, 01:03 PM
would be a great spec, but extremly costly for some, you could use the 1.6 8v and do less mods but get same power, plus the gsi has a big valve head, and bear in mind the lsd costs ?500 or so. You could go for a f13 cr cluster and 4.18 cwp.

draper
23-05-06, 02:30 PM
a nova sr/sri will keep up (and beat if your an able driver) a VTR anyway, vtr are only a 1.6 and still have a cat on, as for the standard nova suspension will beat a uprated corsa set-up - erm, i cant see it personally !!

craig green
23-05-06, 05:30 PM
well serviced std E16 will out pull a std VTR in my experience. Think the output of the Nova is actually higher anyway.

CG

SRlew
23-05-06, 07:38 PM
as draper said, my SR was left a vtr until we got top endish speed. but i thought, so next time i'll take you to a track or some back roads and see what happens.

Jack
23-05-06, 08:20 PM
well serviced std E16 will out pull a std VTR in my experience. Think the output of the Nova is actually higher anyway.

CG
Yep; VTR is 90bhp and somthing gay like 1100kgs; Nova GSi is about 800kgs and 100bhp.

Compared to the Corsa though the Nova should be faster if its well serviced and putting out standard power. But a car is only as fast as its driver ;)

johnny27
23-05-06, 08:33 PM
I firmly believe the nova is a much much better handling car than a corsa. Like most ppl having drive uprated nova suspesnion and std, and corsa std sus and uprated sus the nova is much superior, even std with proper wheels, where as the corsa is alot more prone to diving at the front end. Its difficult to see why or explain it as the suspension layout and components are very similar. Does any1 agree?

johnny27
23-05-06, 08:35 PM
also i would feel much safer driving fast in a nova rather than a corsa

Nobby
23-05-06, 10:50 PM
for some unknow reason, every one i know agree's with me that the nova's with std suspension and decent wheels will out handle a corsa with moded suspension. Corsa's are very poor on corner's and have alot of roll and dive, but a nova with proper offset wheels is brilliant espically with 1 or 2 passangers. Go figure.

You know it!!! - I dont condone street racing but lol when some **** in a 1.4 ****box corsa thinks he can out run you in a 1.2 Nova you have to show him whos boss!! Dive in tight around corners while hes swinging and bumping on the outside n by the time hes shifted gear your gone!!!lol :p

Spudly
23-05-06, 10:51 PM
Lol erm just a random question but why does everyone keep mentioning cheap horrible little plastic french things??
But from experience i had a 14SR with a powerflow and k&n filter and with a full car (i only ever have 4 ppl in as i wont let ppl use lap belts) i out pulled a mate in his paxo vtr with 2ppl in including himself side by side from 20mph in 2nd n beat him lol so they aint too hard to squash lol!!!