PDA

View Full Version : insurance vs. performance

bola
22-05-06, 04:59 PM
aup i am a new member to nl but have been lovin your site so i thought i better join. i dont hold a driving licence yet and am only 15 but i have loved novas 4 ages. i am soon getting a nova :thumb: and starting to modify it ready for when i pass my test so i just wondered what model i should buy bearing in mind i have to get affordable insurance. i was thinking about a 1.4 SRi? any help would be much appreciated! :)

Stuart
22-05-06, 05:04 PM
welcome...

oh how i wish we had an insurance forum.... oh hang on theres ones right down the bottom of the page

Welsh Dan
22-05-06, 05:09 PM
If you want to be insured, i'd say a 1.4 SR or SRi would be the top models to go for in terms of performance. It would probably be cheaper for you to get a 1.3 or 1.4 model, unmodifed, then a 1.2 tuned up to the same power.

Don't underestimate the 1.2 carbed engines though, I drive one of those at the moment and its reasonably nippy, its only drawbacks come when you get over about 70mph or on a steep incline (or both lol).

Iain
22-05-06, 05:19 PM
Don't underestimate the 1.2 carbed engines though, I drive one of those at the moment and its reasonably nippy, its only drawbacks come when you get over about 70mph or on a steep incline (or both lol).

Yep nothing wrong with a good little nippy 1.2 carb as a first car. :thumb: If my experience is anything to go by then you'll be paying plenty for insurance on an SR/SRi at 17.

Tim
22-05-06, 05:19 PM
welcome,

to be honest i think ur going to be better of with a base model as your first car, 1.2 to keep things cheap, but it really depends where you live, where the car will be kept, alarmed, immobiliser all that sort of stuff.

if you buy a good 1, and your planning on keeping it a while then theres nothing stopping you from modding it as and when u can afford to do so. Mine started life as a 1.2, kept it, drove it, did a ****load of work to it and now its going to be a 2.0 16v (one day, when i pull my finger out). Unfortunatly its an age thing :( .

"With great power, comes great responsibility" - Spiderman i think, but its truelol

tim

bola
22-05-06, 05:26 PM
fanks everyone i will be spending quite alot on it on security like alarms, security window tints etc to help the insurance go down. But then again i will be puting a bodykit and an ice install in it too so now i think that i should start off with a 1.2 from what you have said.

bola
22-05-06, 05:29 PM
i

bola
22-05-06, 05:29 PM
i was

bola
22-05-06, 05:30 PM
i was also thinkin about a 1.3 sport (think

bola
22-05-06, 05:30 PM
i was also thinkin about a 1.3 sport (think thats

bola
22-05-06, 05:35 PM
i was also thinking about a 1.3 sr / sport (think thats what is called!) but these are group 5 and its an early model so the front end isn't as nice and the rear arches are 5mm smaller at the back (harder to get 17s in! lol) but if i converted the front end to a mk 2 then i might get one of those and make do with 16''!

bola
22-05-06, 05:36 PM
i dunno whats happening to my computer with all the 1 word entries i think that its going crazy!

Stuart
22-05-06, 05:47 PM
id not get a sport and MK2 it.... thats kinda criminal lol. but hey if you want to spend what ever it is to get a decent sport and then butcher it then thats your call...

bola
22-05-06, 05:49 PM
ok then i dont think that ill do that then mate! Maybe ill just get a mk 2 1.2!

Philsutton
22-05-06, 05:50 PM
mk2 a sport an i will personally bitch slap you to the floor, but i would go for a 1.2 as a first car. Anything else an you will probably crash it

Welsh Dan
22-05-06, 05:53 PM
/me joins phils gang

Tim
22-05-06, 05:56 PM
think this boy needs education, u will piss many, many people off if you start butchering a sport about, best way to own a sport is to leave it just as it should be :thumb: , no silly bodykits, no silly wheels, no silly flashing lights and neon kits and washer jets leds, just STANDARDlol

bola
22-05-06, 05:57 PM
1.2 it is then i dnt fancy getting the livin daylights slapped outta me lol I have currently got a 1.8 turbo diesel sierra that i drive off road so ill probably be alrite handling the power.......i think! lol

Welsh Dan
22-05-06, 05:59 PM
rwd power and fwd power is different entirely.

bola
22-05-06, 06:00 PM
oh ok to be honest ive never driven a fwd car before!

bola
22-05-06, 06:06 PM
thanks for the help every1

SRlew
22-05-06, 06:55 PM
well by the time i pulled my finger out and got my insurance. i had just turned 19. i got a 1.4sr and the insurance is killing me cause i live in a bad area at the minute. but as for the power thing, i would defo say go for a 1.2, the week i got my car on the road, it kept wheelspining and nearly lost control a couple of times. so id get a 1.2.
as for butchering a sport. i think there'd be a load of people out side your dour waiting to floor you.

lew

Spudly
22-05-06, 07:41 PM
Besides that i dare you to try and find one that a 15 year old could afford (unless mummy loves him lol) but they aint very easily come across there was one in hull after being restored, minus its graphics and that went for about ?1500 i think and im still trying to find it having missed out because i bought a valver bugger lol!!!

skud52
22-05-06, 08:13 PM
i don't know your financial situation mate but i remember when i first started driving but you want everything to be as cheap as possible. its all well and good planning your bodykit and ice and 17's but once you get your car and realise how much all these things cost ON TOP of the running costs (repairs/tax/insurance/petrol)

dont wanna spoil ya dream but chances are in2 years time when/if you pass your test everything will be different. i reckon if you spend enought time on here you'll end up wanting a standard car anyway.

good luck with whatever youchoose tho mate

Philsutton
22-05-06, 08:17 PM
or do what ben does an just ram your car into trucks then it doesnt matter lol

SRlew
22-05-06, 08:25 PM
yer good point skud52, when i was speaking to my brother about buying his SR off him i was like, oh i'll get coilovers different alloys buckets and a highspec engine. BUT then i got it on the road and was like f**k me i carnt afford to do anything to it. at the minute i spend about ?150 on mods/parts a month then im just skint, petrol is a joke aswell!

Mike
23-05-06, 12:29 PM
Get a SR as a first car. Reasonble power to weight as standard and not that bad to insure tbh! Just dont make 2 insurance claims at 18 then try an insure one! (Trust me, it set me ?2.5 f/c compared to ?1.4k before claims!)

Although yes the 1.2 carbs are actually quite nippy cars (for a 1.2) there alot quicker then a 1.2 fiesta etc

Jack
23-05-06, 06:13 PM
at the minute i spend about ?150 on mods/parts a month then im just skint, petrol is a joke aswell!
Wish my car was that cheap lol