PDA

View Full Version : suspension, brakes and cam

Anonymous
10-01-01, 03:34 PM
ok blokes, my nova 1.4sr (91) is sitting on 15" alessios and standard suspension. The front is riding high so im gonna drop it. Im gonna go for a spax 60mm kit, will this cause any problems? next im gonna go for a big brake conversion. what do i need? ive been told to get astra gte discs and callippers and the astra servo.
finally, im having the engine reconditioned and fitting a kent cam whilst the engines in bits. any ideas of the performance gains? ive heard that it should gain 18 brake. cheers

Anonymous
10-01-01, 04:12 PM
If your going to drop it 60mm, your rear arches will need moddin. The best fit tyre will be 195/45/15's. If your off set isn't the Vauxhall off set (49mm) you will encounter problems lowering it this much.

As 4 your brakes, I don't think you need to change the brake servo, I have Astra GSI brakes on the front of mine, and there fine on the nova 1.

The cam, I think you could realistically be looking at about 10bhp, but any thing else is a bonus.

Hope that helps

Dan

Anonymous
10-01-01, 04:20 PM
There's a guide to fitting Astra 16v brakes on www.topbuzz.co.uk in the guides section. It'll tell you what you need in there.

Anonymous
10-01-01, 06:02 PM
I don't think you need the astra servo. The kent cam alone won't give you 18bhp, if you fit a K&N, Exhaust and manifold and get it gas flowed it might just about give you that. The suspension should be OK if it is a spring & shoks kit apart from the rear arches may need some minor work to stop the tyres scrubbing.

Anonymous
10-01-01, 07:26 PM
firstly im a chick so address the msg to chicks too!!! in response to ur 15in wheels they should have 195/50 tryes, if ur lowering more than 35mm and ur tyres are more than 175mm u will get scrubbing! unless u get ur arch lips ground or flattened! this is an easy one as u have 15in wheels already. the astra gte brakes have ATE callipers and 256mm discs this means u will probably need a bigger brake servo. just remove the dust covers from the back of the calliper then remove the bolts using a hex key(10mm i think!) follow instuctions in the haynes manual and make sure u bleed the brakes b4 sing it!

cheers novachick

Anonymous
10-01-01, 08:01 PM
I`ve done the 256mm conversion to mine (GTE) and it`s a lot better. Watch ot for the clearance between the wheel center and the calipers though, I had to shave 1mm of to stop them rubbing.

Anonymous
10-01-01, 09:45 PM
aren't allessios 16"?
and u can just get a nova gte/gsi servo no need for astra.

Anonymous
10-01-01, 10:56 PM
actually novachick my tyres should be and are 195/45 tyres, next paul jackson my car is already 20bhp up from standard from the mods i already done and ive got the rolling road printout to prove it. anyway ive plumped for a 40mm drop and rolled rear arches, and im not bothering with the brakes as im just gonna upgrade to red dot stuff, i know it wont be as good but i cant be arsed.

Anonymous
11-01-01, 02:06 AM
Yeah I thought it was 195/45 for no scrubbage too...

Anonymous
11-01-01, 09:14 AM
Andy I believe your car is 20bhp up with the weber carb and exhaust. What I was trying to say was to get the best out of the cam you will have to do other mods, i see you,ve already got the filter, exhaust and a weber carb. If you combined the new cam with a gas flowed head at the same time you will see a big increase, also a 4-2-1 or 4-1 manifold might be a good mod. if you havn,t done it already.

Anonymous
11-01-01, 01:43 PM
aye the rear arches will definately need rollin.
i had to trim and stretch my front arches as well when i dropped mine 60mm and the compomotive wheels are vaux offset.
for the breaks u dont need the servo-i'm runnin sri cavalier discs and calipers-much better than standard.