PDA

View Full Version : something weird

mdibb
20-05-06, 12:32 AM
got home tonight,took the key out of the ignition and the engine kept running .didnt go off until i put my foot on the brake ,any ideas ??????

cheers

nova~norm
20-05-06, 10:42 AM
is it a carb mate
my nova does that now and again dnt kno y but doesnt run 4 long

tom_beverley
20-05-06, 10:46 AM
Usually means the timing is out I think

johnny27
20-05-06, 10:54 AM
its called pre-ignition. Happens if timing is retarded, or just bad pertrol can cause it.
Although maybe you have an electrical fault as you said it stopped with the brake.
When you pulled out the keys, did the engine run as normal or did it start to struggle and chug?

nova~norm
20-05-06, 11:15 AM
mine strugeled but doesnt do it all the time

mdibb
20-05-06, 11:26 AM
the engine struggled mate,its not a carb,any ideas how to sort it or what to have a look for?
Thanks a lot lads

General Baxter
20-05-06, 11:36 AM
just before you stop the car, make sure your choke is fully in, mine comes out when driving along, and it chugs when i turn the car off, but if i push the choke back in it stops :)

johnny27
20-05-06, 11:56 AM
then its pre-ignition and is quite bad for an engine. To advacnce the timing turn the dizzy towards the windscreen, ideally get it done with a strobe, if you can't then its trial and error, just try turning a little bit each time untill the pre-ignition stops. you will probaly get abit more power back as well

mdibb
20-05-06, 12:24 PM
thanks very much lads

SuperNova!
20-05-06, 12:54 PM
I wouldnt mess with the timing if you dont know how to do it properly or you will kill your engine,

Adam
20-05-06, 03:52 PM
Pre-ignition is when the timing is too far advanced.
Which will cause the engine to run on after you turn it off.
Timing needs retarding.

I've also heard about alternator faults causing it to carry on running.

SRlew
20-05-06, 08:49 PM
lol i had this problem. my whole car electrics where playing up. the headlights used to come when i used the brakes and the digi dash would dim right down also, and what you said, it turned out mine was a sketchy bulb or somthing, id just replaced it. so discconected the rear lights (which is where i replaced bulbs) and it was fine so just checked the bulbs and sorted the bad one out.

have you sorted it. if not try this. could be the same as what mine was etc

lew

bump
20-05-06, 08:53 PM
I get it once in a blue moon and my timing was confirmed as being spot on yesterday. The mechanic (sp) said that if it wasn't a regular occurance then not to worry too much about it.

Adam
21-05-06, 12:24 AM
Ye, i think when its down to the timing it runs for like a second or two after you switch it off, not for like 5mins and you have to stall the engine yourself or something,Lol.

mdibb
21-05-06, 03:21 PM
yes,my digi dash goes dim and my lights come on when i press the brake aswell so ill check the bulbs,advanced the timing a little and the engine seems a lot better now.
thanks a lot lads