PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Brakes

Anonymous
08-01-01, 11:14 AM
Couple of problems, any ideas ?
1) My drivers side rear suspension has started knocking whenever driving bumpy roads or speedhumps etc. Its getting well annoying, is it a damper that needs replacing or is the strut knackered ?
2? This is a bit trickier, whenever my car has been stood for a few hours i go to move away and the rear barke/handbrake seems to stick for a bit but then release. My mate said his 1.2 does it and not to worry because it is just brake dust that builds up and then when wet causes something to stick, sounds a bit suspect to me, any ideas ? Cheers

Anonymous
08-01-01, 12:18 PM
I could probably answer question 2. When owned a mk1 astra I had the same problem, I would pull out of my garage in reverse and the right hand back wheel would lock up cause the right hand backside to raise off the ground like I had run over a brick or something, do u get what I mean. Also when I was driving around for a bit and then stopped to check the wheel, it would be roasting hot (when it was raining it was steaming). The problem was that the cylinder was leaking brakefluid only slightly but, the brakefluid then dried up around the drum and inside. So when I would drive my car out in the morning there would be a loud bang as the dried up fluid broke up. When I fixed the cylinder the problem stopped. I dont know if this is what is happening to u but it could be, hope I could help.

Anonymous
08-01-01, 12:42 PM
the suspension could be a miss located spring or shagged shock
as for the brakes wash out the drum with a hose then take the car out for a run

Anonymous
08-01-01, 05:33 PM
i had the brake prob and it was my handbrake cable locking, which then caused the damp pads to rust to the drum and disintegrate when i freeed it off. new shoes and poss new drum is the answer. i just needed new shoes. :) brake cleaner and copper grease are essential as is a nice wide swearing vocab coz some of the springs are fecking tight