PDA

View Full Version : Smashed piston

acnova
19-05-06, 11:48 AM
After fitten T40s i thought i just done the rings cos i started to get serious bak preasure but it turns out i smashed up a piston :mad: F*#K it anyway.
Luckly i didnt damage the bores so i supose that somthing good lol
Any ideas how i could have done this only after 2 days driven itlol Dont want it to happen again. Its a 1.6 sv T40 with a facet fuel pump and regulator.
Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated :thumb:

garyc
19-05-06, 11:59 AM
What's the colour of the spark plugs? Could be lean mixture causing detonation. Did you have your carbs set up, or what were they off?

SuperNova!
19-05-06, 12:58 PM
Hi mate sorry to hear that you have wrecked a piston they are easily enough changed though and if you havent damaged the bore then you should get away with it,

I have a 16sv aswell what does it go like with 40s?

Were your carbs set up properly?

acnova
19-05-06, 06:03 PM
Hey lads just got an update, make that 3 cracked pistons, bores are fine though thank fcuk.
I got them brand new and never got them set up proper so i think thats wat happened. I have to say they are well worth getten though cos it was a serious difference in power and its just instent.

johnny27
19-05-06, 06:44 PM
Probaly be alot cheaper to buy a complete block instead if repairing your own engine. Why not replace the engine with the better 1600 E16SE?
You could use your T40s with a nova gsi/gte/sri manifold. You'd benefit much more with carbing the e16se engine, plus there's a big difference in power when you get the weber's setup.

Stuart
19-05-06, 07:47 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63199 damn i love being right lol

dan23
19-05-06, 08:12 PM
what car were your carbs jetted for mate ?

acnova
20-05-06, 09:08 AM
what car were your carbs jetted for mate ?

Got them off fastroadcars and he said they were the right jets for my car.
Just never got them set up. Im sorry now though :cry:

Stuart
20-05-06, 09:28 AM
they can only suggest jets etc to use.... you should NEVER give the car full beans unless you have a wideband lambda setup to watch the AF ratio... untill you get it setup at a RR.

mind you dead engine means you can go get a proper 1600 engine :p

General Baxter
20-05-06, 09:49 AM
http://www.streetrace.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4092&d=1147639838

rahahahahaha boom

Adam
20-05-06, 03:49 PM
WTF /\ lol

craig green
21-05-06, 05:37 PM
That piston is proper fooked.

If you are at all interested Ive got 4 new(ish) Mahle pistons, 4 deseamed rods with ARP's & a balanced crank. Out of a 20k engine I had built at over a ?1000. The block cracked between head bolt holes hence I have the internals.

Would be a cheap route to a performance bottom end. . . .

Hope you get to the route of the problem anyhow.

CG

acnova
21-05-06, 07:39 PM
That piston is proper fooked.

If you are at all interested Ive got 4 new(ish) Mahle pistons, 4 deseamed rods with ARP's & a balanced crank. Out of a 20k engine I had built at over a ?1000. The block cracked between head bolt holes hence I have the internals.

Would be a cheap route to a performance bottom end. . . .

Hope you get to the route of the problem anyhow.

CG

Cheers anyway man but its already been put back together with new pistons :thumb: