PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Removal

Torroni
17-05-06, 02:36 PM
I've got a Nova GTE and have been trying to remove the steering wheel. I've got to the point of releasing the retaining nut but the wheel still wont budge!! Are the nova steering wheels usualy this tight or have i missed something?

chimp007_uk
17-05-06, 03:19 PM
they are a pain in the a**e. undo the retaining nut, but leave it still on the column, using a metal rod held against the column, hit it with a hammer, not too hard obviously, but the steering wheel should spring off.

Welsh Dan
17-05-06, 03:31 PM
There's a tool that draper do specifically for gm steering wheels for about a tenner. :)

Tim
17-05-06, 03:36 PM
mission!!

undo the nut, then get someone to wiggle the wheel up, down, left and right while u get a bar to prise it off from the base of the wheel, make sure u remove the plastic cowling from the colunm so not to break it.

i also found that swearing at it and hitting it loads helped, well helped me anyway lol

tim

Breathe
17-05-06, 05:35 PM
it was such a bitch to get off when i was doing. me and a mate rammed two bits of wood behind it, between the wheel and dash and pulled and sweared.

WD40 helps as well.

I was so happy when it poped off.

Joe

dhdev (Oli)
17-05-06, 06:14 PM
its an absolute cooont of a job. just keep swearing and bashing it, i find that completely losing my rag with and going mental usually sorts it. Enjoy haha!

Welsh Dan
17-05-06, 07:29 PM
Loosen the nut, but dont take it off - it'll stop the wheel hitting you in the face when it does come off.

mikey14sr
17-05-06, 07:39 PM
My advice is just buy the correct tool, it's cheap enough, wont damage the steering column and can be used on almost any vauxhall.

Torroni
17-05-06, 10:36 PM
HAHAHA

You guys are funny!! Thanks for the tip tho... I was going to loose my rag but thought there must be something else holding it!! I guess i'll buy the proper tool for the job unless i need to vent some anger some day soon!

Cheers!

Nova_Tek
18-05-06, 06:26 PM
I had the same issue mate but in the end got my cuz's dad to do it. He pretty much did the same thing as mentioned.

Nut undone but not totally off, then jiggled wiggled pulled a lot for about 8 mins gradually working it off then finally it popped off. It may seem like you're putting exesive force on it but as long as you aint going ape on the wheel then shuldnt damage anything.

He said it was harder then other cars hes removed.

if you are gonna get the puller then make sure its the correct one as I bought one from halfords and it was to large for the 1.2 steering wheel.