PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problems

NikosNova
16-05-06, 10:20 AM
Having a few probs with my car temp and not quite sure what the problem is.

After starting my car the temp is obviously on the blue line, but after about 5 mins of driving it will shoot up to 1/4 or 1/2 temp then after a few seconds it will just drop straight away back down to just under a 1/4. It keeps doing this for some reason, especially when waiting in traffic.

I checked underthe bonet and the pipes are boiling hot, and so is the header tank, which im sure isnt meant to happen. I was thinking maybe the thermostat is playing up and not opening/closing at the right times.

If anyone could shed any light on to this problem id be very grateful. :)

Cheers

dannyb
16-05-06, 10:27 AM
It is your engine heating up, then the fan coming on to cool it down. My Nova does this and to be honest, if it isn't boiling I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't take much notice of Vaux instruments, they aren't too accurate (esp fuel guages)!

NikosNova
16-05-06, 10:31 AM
lol i know what u mean, my last novas fuel gauge was screwed, and lets say i got stranded in the middle of nowhere more than once.

The thing is, it never used to do this and ive had the car for almost 2 years now, and ive only really noticed it doing this in the past month or so, so i was quite suspicious. About 2 months ago i had a new hose set fitted, maybe that had something to do with it?

johnny27
16-05-06, 11:23 AM
check for the usual stuff. Could be thremostat almost closed, also check the colour of the water in the tank, if its quite browny rusty chances could be you've clogged up your radiator, and its time for a flush and a new rad. Other thing could be your head gasket is on the way out, considering you said you've had the car 2 years and never had this prob till now. Is your fan defiently working? just make sure to be on the safe side.

lmagee243
06-12-11, 05:38 PM
Yh im having the same problem with mine will be ticking over on the blue the shoot up past red then slowly go back down :S

TeddyThom
07-12-11, 12:31 PM
It is your engine heating up, then the fan coming on to cool it down. My Nova does this and to be honest, if it isn't boiling I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't take much notice of Vaux instruments, they aren't too accurate (esp fuel guages)!
This. I have the same thing.