PDA

View Full Version : Shock differences

Nova_Tek
16-05-06, 12:05 AM
Is there much difference from the 1.2 nova shocks and GSi shocks?

Im looking to lower the car about 30mm - 40mm. The Eibach kit I want says it can be used with standard shocks but my 1.2 ones, after nearly 21 years of use do need changing.

Are GSi shocks shorter then the 1.2 versions?

Where would be the best place, quality and cost wise, to buy from?

Many thanx :thumb:

dannyb
16-05-06, 10:21 AM
I believe the GSi shocks and springs are 20 odd mm shorter than the standard items (hence why it says it won't lower a GSi/GTE 60mm on a 60mm suspension kit for example) I think they are marginally harder (10/20%). If used with the GSi anti roll bars, it is quite good (like a GSi with a smaller engine......). The best place would be to buy from a motor factors, and dont forget to renew the bushes (even if you replace standard ones with standard it will be a better ride). Why bother going to this expense? Its cheaper than poly bushes and suspension kits and the bits that you've just uprated look just like the parts that should be on there unlike a bright yellow G-max kit. You tell the insurance you've done it though mate, even though it looks standard as it is a modification...!

Nova_Tek
16-05-06, 02:15 PM
Hi mate thanx for the reply. So using GSi shocks with the Eibach springs would be a decent choice as they are a bit shorter then standard.

Im considering GSi shocks coz my current 1.2 ones seem to be quite good for what they are even tho the springs are soft. Think you're right about the bushes standard stuff should be fine especially if you're on a budget like moi lol

Its off to look for shocks then

I like to keep things legit so insurance will know about it :thumb:

Many thanx

Nova_Tek
16-05-06, 02:30 PM
one more thing, im considering a XEV conversion for the nova in the future (basically if I got a bit more cash) would these shocks be able to take the extra little weight of the 16v lump?

Thanx again

Adam
16-05-06, 02:33 PM
Shocks dont take weight.
Springs do.

I wouldn't fit a 2L big block engine on standard shocks tbh, no doubt they will be bottoming out all the time.

Nova_Tek
16-05-06, 02:37 PM
so whats the weight difference between the 1.6 GSi lump and the XEV? the springs are eibach prokit may need to try get detailed info on them.

Adam
16-05-06, 02:39 PM
About 40ish KG i think.
You need to run higher poundage front springs.

craig green
16-05-06, 04:48 PM
I wouldnt bother with OE GSi stuff. Theres plenty of replacement kit from likes of BOGE, KYB, Monroe etc.

I'd suggest one of the best 'cheap' kits out there is the system 2 set up from Proven Products in Tavistock. They use KYB shocks & there own springs, a good ride for just over ?200 IIRC.

CG