PDA

View Full Version : opinions on power boost

johnny27
14-05-06, 06:27 PM
What are the FSE power boost valves like? Is there any decent power gain or is it just a con like the resistor mods?
I know they can be used on nearly any multi point injection engine, but the engine in question is a X20XEV in a vectra, it has already got an ashley system and a universal foam air filter (not that it matters)
Is the power boost valve any good compared to a super chip?
I'm also finding a super chip hard to get for a X20XEV apart from over priced places like courteny and so on. Anyone know anywhere to buy a resonable priced chip?
Sorry for asking so many questions, just that i don't have much experience with injection and ecu tuning stuff, engine's fine, but i'm usually working with carbs. Cheers

Stuart
14-05-06, 06:29 PM
not a con, but no power gain to be had.
similar results can be seen by taking the vac line off the std regulator

Geth
14-05-06, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't say that the resistor mods are a con. they work wonders on diesel engines. My dad fitted one to his Mondeo TDCi and it goes like stink now. It lengthend the power band so now it revs much more like a petrol engine but still has the low down torque which is awsome in Ford's 2.0 TDCi.

Stuart
14-05-06, 06:47 PM
hmmmm still shifty and i bet his engine now has limited life span

Geth
14-05-06, 06:49 PM
Doesn't matter, it's a company car which he has to give back 18 months lol

chimp007_uk
14-05-06, 07:21 PM
stuart, whats the deal with taking the vacuum pipe off the standard pressure reg?

Stuart
14-05-06, 07:43 PM
gives you "fixed" fuel pressure across the range. but make sure you check the fuelling on a RR before leaving it off

johnny27
14-05-06, 08:24 PM
so is there any point buying a power boost valve for performance then? i would'nt have thought raising the fuel pressure would result in a bhp gain, am i right?
How about a chip for the ecu, does anyone know where to go for a resonable price on the x20xev? Thanks everyone for their advice.