PDA

View Full Version : Kerb (over)weight!

Mike
12-05-06, 01:12 PM
Howdy strangers,

I took the SR beastie to a weight bridge yesterday and was surprised to say the least at the result!

The Haynes manual reckons an SR kerb weight is 770kg, which to be honest I think is very wrong as mine only has two sparco's (both weighting less than 1 SR seat) no back seats and an after market manifold so the old cr*ppy cast iron one is long gone aswell as lots of other things like no spare wheel or jack as my sub sits built into my spare wheel well now, all seat belts have been removed, central locking removed and just GSi bumpers & skirts! I weighted my sub & amp prior to install and there combined weight is still lighter than the weight of a spare SR steelie & jack, I've even gone as far as genuine carbon fibre side panels in the boot!

I managed a massively over weight number of 820kg! :wtf:

Two seats, half a tank of petrol and all fluids topped up full! I think Haynes have got something very wrong with their calculator's! So I think its time to remove the sound deading throughout the car as I'm very dissapointed at the weight at the minute! :(

Wilson
12-05-06, 01:19 PM
i weighed my nova van the other day with 2 spare wheels, my toolbox quter of a tank of petrol and it weighed 923kgs with me in. (i weigh 70ish kg)

NickWalliams
12-05-06, 01:20 PM
maybe the scales were not accurate?

Gunzi
12-05-06, 01:27 PM
Was the 770kgs, based on dry weight ie no fluids in the car at all?

Mike
12-05-06, 01:32 PM
Nope, the weight bridge used was a public weight bridge so by law has to be checked every 3 months for acuracy so I'm guessing its pretty accurate?

The haynes figure, i have no idea weather that figure is with or without fluids etc but its the same figure for a MK1 & a MK2 nova although the Mk2 has central locking, power windows etc etc :confused:

Stuart
12-05-06, 02:55 PM
no pannels in the boot is lighter than carbon ;)
also what wheels and brakes are you running? they make hell of a difference.

LURCHIO_NOVA
12-05-06, 03:40 PM
nova gsi breaking system (drilled, grooved & vebted disc's) and some crappy 15" Ripspeed wheels (osaka's) as my Mille Miglia's got nicked! the wheels weight about 2 stone each! :wtf: Best get some Compo's or Speedline me thinks!

LURCHIO_NOVA
12-05-06, 03:41 PM
Doh! just reliased im signed in a me mate and replied as him. @rse!

Jack
12-05-06, 03:56 PM
I also found it odd how, according to Haynes, the Nova saloon is only something like 5kg heavier than the hatch :tard:

nova gsi breaking system (drilled, grooved & vebted disc's) and some crappy 15" Ripspeed wheels (osaka's) as my Mille Miglia's got nicked! the wheels weight about 2 stone each! :wtf: Best get some Compo's or Speedline me thinks!
Tyres can also make a big difference to weight. My Kazeras only weigh about 9kgs each which is rather light for 18"s, but the tyres are damned heavy. Toyo tyres are supposed to be quite light...

LURCHIO_NOVA
12-05-06, 03:59 PM
I (last of the nova sr's that is!) have got A539's on the front and falken ZE512's on the back. I know for a fact that the Yoko's are a lot heavier then the Falkens!

But I still think that 820kg aint to be sniffed at bearing in mind that it aint totally stripped. Its still got a false floor in the back and all carpet etc! Plus about 10kg of work stuff like rigger boots and a hard hat etc high vis vest and all that kinda cr@p.

Dar
12-05-06, 04:55 PM
Also don't weigh bridges go up in inrements. i.e. 20kg each, so if your car was 205kg it will show 220kg?
Im quite sure thats what the ones I used where doing.

When I last got my put on a weigh bridge it also showed 820kg. I don't know how much the thing weighs now however there are still lots and lots of things you can do to get the weight down.

Philsutton
12-05-06, 05:09 PM
well 20kg will be in the fuel?

dannyb
12-05-06, 05:10 PM
I lost 15kg by not eating and smoking twice as much, and one litre of petrol is 737 grams (iirc)

Wilson
13-05-06, 10:57 AM
i weigh mine on the local pearsons weighbridge. it goes up in 1kgs and i would assume its pretty acurate

Dar
13-05-06, 12:37 PM
i weigh mine on the local pearsons weighbridge. it goes up in 1kgs and i would assume its pretty acurate

Thats the best ones to use:thumb:

Mike
26-05-06, 04:53 PM
Rite, had a bit of tear up* last nite with my mates GSi'd Merit & me in my SR, well, i was surprised put it that way! :D

Mike, (lurchio nova of here) my mate was also quite surprised that my little SR kept up with him pretty well.

820kg at the kerb compared to a standard'ish GSi weight (GSi is decatted with a system and i think a manifold?)

So once i get a decent cam in, my blydenstein head on and my T40's back together im hoping for at least 110bhp at the wheels with the bits already on the engine included! Time for a Piper BP300 cam!!

*all done a nice private stretch of road:thumb:

LURCHIO_NOVA
27-05-06, 06:13 PM
yep has a manifold but dude i got 2 standard seats in mine so i got twice the weight of your seats, the back was full of ****, i had a passenger and the car needs a good service and a good drive. not like im being funny mate. lol

Lee
27-05-06, 06:24 PM
Did you have a poo before you took the reading? lol

Dan
27-05-06, 06:49 PM
So once i get a decent cam in, my blydenstein head on and my T40's back together im hoping for at least 110bhp at the wheels with the bits already on the engine included!

all that from an sr?, good luck unless you find a good max power style rolling road as i run 113. Standard gte/gsi is about 76 @ wheels