PDA

View Full Version : braking in brakes

reehmer
10-05-06, 07:54 PM
how long should you go easy on the brakes when you have new disks. i am gettin 2ltr cavy brakes with new disks on my corsa at the week end.

Adam
10-05-06, 08:04 PM
Probably at least 100-200miles.
I think what can knacker them, is getting them hot and braking to a stop, so the hot pads are pressed against one place on the disc, instead of the disc spinning.

What i did, was did a few miles to make sure everything felt ok, then did a few braking from about 60mph to 15mph, did that a few times, but didn't keep braking to make the car stationary.

Dont know if thats ok, but thats what i did.

reehmer
10-05-06, 08:06 PM
thanx for the help cant wait till i feel some real braking power as my sri brakes are startin to seize

Stuart
10-05-06, 08:30 PM
just do some firm braking from 50-20mph a few times then do a couple of 70-20mph stops then go reasonably easy on them for say 50 miles..

Philsutton
10-05-06, 08:35 PM
i bedded mine in round donnigton lmfao, i also killed them

Aragorn
10-05-06, 09:52 PM
my advice would be 10. 60-5mph stops in succession then drive for a while to let them cool down

during this process, DO NOT come to a complete stop, if you HAVE to stop at a junction or something then use the footbrake to about 5mph and let off and use handbrake for the rest or you will leave pad deposits on the disk which is the actual cause of "warped disks"

once youve done your 10 stops drive for 10-20miles to let them cool down again, and during this process and the next 100 miles continue to follow the rule of never stopping completely on the footbrake, and if u do forget and come to a halt on the foot brake lift off the pedal immedataly and use the handbrake to hold the car instead of the front calipers

Adam
10-05-06, 11:02 PM
i bedded mine in round donnigton lmfao, i also killed them
Rofl, nutta.