PDA

View Full Version : i really havent got a clue !!

draper
10-05-06, 03:54 PM
right lads, need some advice/product info please
ive got my old bumpers that i want to sort out, the fronts a smoothed mk1 SR item and the rears a novadose. The front has cracked paintwork, i need to know what ill need to remover the paint ? whats the best product to use ??
the rear has a crack in the bumber, i think its where the numberplate light used to live (this was smoothed off as i had a smooth boot and the numberplate sat on the bumper), ill also need to get the paint off this bumper and repair the crack.
For repairing the crack i was thinking glass fibre the inside of the bumper to hold it all together then a skim of filler for cosmetice outside ??
any help would be appreciated as i haven't got a clue where to start, ive got some time on my hands now so i may aswell put it to good use !!!!

Welsh Dan
10-05-06, 04:04 PM
I wouldnt use thinners as you might damage the plastic, and I don't know of anything weaker than thinners that'll take paint off.

They'll take a lot of rubbing down with sandpaper. I'd hire a small compressor and a recirculating sandblaster if you've got the space/cash. If not then start with some rough sandpaper and work down to finer grades as the plastic starts to show through.

Glass fibreing the rear one sounds like a good idea, try to use as little filler as possible though. Once you've got the paint off and whatever was used previously to block the hole, I'd put a few layers of masking tape over the hole, then clamp something over the masking tape so you can press the glass fibre right into the hole. Once its set you should be able to pull the masking tape off, and need to use very little filler :).

draper
11-05-06, 06:07 AM
cheers mate, havent really got the space for a compressor and sandblaster, looks like my arms are gonna ache !!!