PDA

View Full Version : My WIP updates (Nova Turbo)

Pages : [1] 2

andybishop
09-05-06, 05:35 PM
Just thought with all the WIP Threads knocking around i'd post up my progress... or lack of it!! LOL

Bit of Background about the car and rebuild...

I've had the car for many years, brought it as a completely standard GSI, Started off with some Speedlines, then lowered it on Avo Coilovers, Fitted some 16v Brakes, then I had the paintwork sorted. I then booked it in to have a 16v fitted at Big Boys Toys, about a week before it went in the 1.6i died of Head Gaskett Failure. Got it back and then had many problems with Driveshafts Snapping. Eventually i got the engine repositioned, this was due to the existing mounts been removed and re-welded in during the first conversion... Made a few more changes to the car including SBD Manifold, Blydenstein head and Courtneay Chip. Over time i also added Rear Disk Setup and V6 Front Brakes.

I then got bored and wanted more power, quick phonecall my mate Ivan at Ace Vauxhall Parts and I was test driving a Calibra Turbo and helping to remove the engine! Decided to do the conversion with a few mates this time due to now not trusting anyone else to do the work!! We completed the conversion over a weekend with very little problems. Everything was good!! Within a couple of weeks i managed to Kill 2 standard Vauxhall Clutches. So opted for a Helix Paddle Clutch and at the same time fitted a Quaiffe ATB Diff.

I ran the car everyday in this spec travelling to work and back in it. Had a few problems like hub/flanges breaking and managed to kill one F20 Gearbox, Next doors garage roof being blown onto the car!! Having the car kicked in by a group of lads!! Which was nice!!

In 2003 when i brought my house i decided to buy another car and take the Nova off the road, put it in the garage and do a complete rebuild, as it was getting a bit rough round the edges, to have the turbo engine rebuilt and to also fit a F28 Gearbox. Unfortunately things did'nt work out with the girl I brought the house with and we split up. I decided to keep the house, as it had a mint garage and did'nt fancy moving back with the parents!!

This meant the Nova rebuild had to take a back seat, while i sorted my finances. It was put to one side in the garage with a freshly fitted front end and no rear panel, and the garage loft stacked with new panels!!

Early last year i had the option of relocating with work to Telford or to take Redundancy, I decided on the money! Luckily getting a Job straight away. I managed to pay off a few debts and have money to start again on the car.

I took the shell to a Bodyshop in Birmingham used by Karl Rowntree in July Last year, knowing the quality of work John did on Karl's Nova, i left it with him to finish the welding and paint the car. Although i made a slight mistake of telling him to not rush and do it in his spare time.... :(

This brings us up to date.

I've been keeping a record of progress with pictures on www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/)

As you can see from the photos, all the underneath has been stripped and painted, under the arches have been repaired and stonechipped.

Spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning and painting a few more parts, Gearbox, clutch lever and dipstick/breather pipe are nicely painted. Spoke to John last weekend. He was hoping to get it in paint last week..

Pain in the ass at the moment as I am working in Bradford at the moment, so living in a hotel up here in the week, only have the weekend to spend on it now. Hopefully should have the shell back in the next couple of weeks and should have everything ready to just build it back up, then it's just a case of getting Intercooler and Radiator made... Still aiming for completion ready for the Nurburgring trip in July!! The heat is on!!!

Thanks for Reading!!

Oh and cheers to Karl Rowntree, Rob Delicata, Ian Holmes, Mart Weaver, Mark Beeson (Gay) for the help over the years, Dan the Parts Man at PMF, Ady at Greenhouse Vauxall for sourcing all the panels and bits over the years, Adrian Culley for my many mint Resprays. Hopefully i can bribe you guys with beers to help with the rebuild when the shells back... :thumb:

novamadman
09-05-06, 05:46 PM
lovely car andy with great spec

hope you get her ready in time for the ring :thumb:

shane

Adam Moran
09-05-06, 05:54 PM
Hey Andy,

Good to hear the project still in progress.

P.S website link not working :-/

andybishop
09-05-06, 05:56 PM
123-reg seems to be having a funny today..... Works sometimes mate.

Adam Moran
09-05-06, 06:01 PM
lol forgot you have pics of my engine transplant on there!

Those were the days hey ;)

craig green
09-05-06, 06:51 PM
JULY !! pull your finger out then!

CG

andybishop
09-05-06, 07:06 PM
Tell me about it mate!!! Getting everything ready to just build it.. going give John another nudge.

Phil GTE
09-05-06, 08:07 PM
Good stuff

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.bishop30/nova-turbo/NovaTurboRebuild23rdApril2006/dscf0009.jpg

put her to work

Adam
09-05-06, 11:49 PM
Looking good Andy. :)

The site was working earlier on, not working atm tho.
Some good WIP pics.

MARTIN KELSON
10-05-06, 08:22 AM
Hi Andy,

Be good to see again, its been that long i cant remember whot it looks like!

Whots wrong with re-locating to good old Telford anyway? Lovely place to live................not!!

See you at some point over the next few months.

Cheers

andybishop
10-05-06, 09:02 AM
Cheers Martin, Yeah forgotten what it looks like myself.

Did'nt fancy selling up, and did'nt fancy travelling everyday (used to do it quite often anyway) and needed the money.. So it was the best option.

Spoke to John again lastnight, Engine bay and inside are all finished and painted now, going to speak to him again on Thursday.

NovaNeil
10-05-06, 12:27 PM
Fantastic Andy!

Glad to see its progressing well. It'll be great to go across to the Ring in your own car rather than other peoples for a change.

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild.

Neil

Adam
10-05-06, 02:31 PM
Has the entire boot floor/rear chassis legs etc been replaced with new?

andybishop
10-05-06, 02:47 PM
Nope, Parts of the boot floor have been replaced along with the rear panel, and the chassis legs have been cleaned up as they were pretty solid and only had surface rust, nothing too structual.

Adam
10-05-06, 02:50 PM
Ahh right, it looks as new :D

Lee H
10-05-06, 03:01 PM
Underneath the rear of yours did look like mine does now with all the rusty patches but still solid, glad to know it can be cleaned up as I was quite concerned about it. Can't believe how similar our cars are really.

Still hoping the guy who is doing yours will be willing to do mine once yours is finished as the work looks excellent.

andybishop
10-05-06, 04:04 PM
Yeah it cleans up fine, my car was on it's side having all the underside done. It's come up really good, really impressed!!

Yeah i can't believe how similar ours are.... lol

How come you've changed your mind about Ady Culley painting it and now wanting John to paint it?

Lee H
10-05-06, 04:22 PM
That was a while ago I wanted Aidy to paint it (had the money but bought the LET lump instead)and after seeing Karls car I think it looks perfect and it seems to have lasted really well as well.

Did you do the rust underneath or John? If so how did you remove it?

craig green
10-05-06, 04:27 PM
Worth asking for ICI paint when getting a respray done, apparently its some of the hardest wearing stuff on the market, in terms of strength & UV resistance.

My Flame Red GSi was done with it.

C G

krobinson
10-05-06, 06:25 PM
That was a while ago I wanted Aidy to paint it (had the money but bought the LET lump instead)and after seeing Karls car I think it looks perfect and it seems to have lasted really well as well.

Did you do the rust underneath or John? If so how did you remove it?

When mine needs done again, i'll be trailering it accross to have john do mine too.

Keith

karl Rowntree
10-05-06, 06:34 PM
lol God help John! The poor guys going to be sick of novaslol

Fingers crossed its going to be a top job again by him and you will be happy Andy, he knows i will kick his ass if i am not happy with itlol Mines been painted for about 3 1/2 years now and looks as good as the day i got it back..

Bring on the rebuild i say:thumb:

Lee if you want your car done by him i suggest you give him a call as he is VERY busy, you will need to book the car in.

You want it ready for when Andy!!!:eek: :eek: lol get a pack of Carling in and we can build it in a week ;)

Karl

RJM25R
10-05-06, 07:54 PM
Love these WIP threads...

dan16v
10-05-06, 10:50 PM
nice work! another classic nova soon to be back on the road!:)

Lee H
11-05-06, 08:10 AM
lol God help John! The poor guys going to be sick of novaslol

Lee if you want your car done by him i suggest you give him a call as he is VERY busy, you will need to book the car in.

lol probably be 2 rusty diamond black ones in a row for pretty much exactly the same work as well.

Cheers for the advice Karl, will be sorting it out anytime now, just a few more bits I need to do on the shell and then it can go.

andybishop
21-05-06, 11:02 PM
The Shell is now out of the bodyshop and on axel stands in the garage, I've updated www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk) with picture from yesterday, Most recent pictures now at the top.

Not had much time on it this weekend, bit of waxoil applied where the welds are on the inside. Will be completely caking it in waxoil next week. Got the tank straps off and gear lever mech and linkage rod, started to clean them up for painting.

Rick Draper
21-05-06, 11:37 PM
So when is the engine going back in andy! Looking good, will it be done for this year?

Any news on those seat rail covers and the headlight switch?

Thanks

andybishop
22-05-06, 11:36 AM
Rick, Hopefully get the block and box in this weekend as i still need a few gaskets and things for the engine, then i need to shorten the griffith Quickshift to fit the F28 and sort the lowered tie bar spacers of the TCA's.

Checked the rail covers but there either cracked or badly scuffed, Light switch is good though mate.

Adam
22-05-06, 12:24 PM
Looking very nice indeed :)

Adam Moran
22-05-06, 12:34 PM
Looks lovley Andy ;)

martweaver
22-05-06, 01:21 PM
Was a stressful morning but well worth it mate, it really does look mint!!!
And we heard on the way back that mine is in primer! so I will have something very similar in blue pretty soon!

Rick Draper
22-05-06, 01:23 PM
Can i pop down to yours sometime andy to pay and collect it?

andybishop
22-05-06, 01:42 PM
Was a stressful morning but well worth it mate, it really does look mint!!!
And we heard on the way back that mine is in primer! so I will have something very similar in blue pretty soon!

"Hey Mart, where's the other ramp gone??" LOL!! lol

Cheers for sorting the trailer and the car mate, much appricated!!! Just let me know when you get the call for yours and i'll be there to help.

andybishop
22-05-06, 01:42 PM
Rick, yeah pop down over the weekend if you want mate.

craig green
23-05-06, 11:06 AM
Looks ace Andy. Shell looks spot on from the pics & you have a nice box too (F28)

Must come up soon, take a squiz at it & offer any help for the rebuild.

CG

andybishop
23-05-06, 11:44 AM
Looks ace Andy. Shell looks spot on from the pics & you have a nice box too (F28)

Must come up soon, take a squiz at it & offer any help for the rebuild.

CG

Craig, cheers mate, took me a while to clean the box ready for painting, it's come up nice though now, although doing loads of other bits that colour too.

Your welcome to come up whenever mate and stay over, any help is appricated!! Only got 58 days to get it built....

craig green
23-05-06, 02:15 PM
will see when I can get up then....

my fee is a mention in your tech spec/thanks. LOL

Cg

draper
23-05-06, 02:50 PM
looking perfect mate, wish i had the space to do a re-build on this scale !! where did you get it painted ?

andybishop
23-05-06, 03:06 PM
looking perfect mate, wish i had the space to do a re-build on this scale !! where did you get it painted ?

We did a lot of the rebuild at mine in the garage, Finishing the front end welding, sills, rear panel, arches and respray were done at a bodyshop just off the express way on the way into Birmingham called Pountney Motor Services (PMS) in Birmingham, Same place that did the work on Karl Rowntree's Red 16v Nova.

scott.parker
23-05-06, 06:01 PM
Hi Andy,i have not been very active on the site over the last six months so ive missed this happening,sorry to hear about your brake up,at least you manged to stay living where you wanted though.

Now back to the car,i have been waiting to see this car back in one peace for years,even before i had a nova i use to look on novalution and see all the cars like yours Karls Robs and Martins etc,and when you guys did my conversion i was still always looking to see your car,last time i saw it it was under a cover:D so mate very good progress,cant wait to see it running again..Oh and i can see John getting a lot of novas over thext yearlol

All the best with the build mate.

Scott

srs1
23-05-06, 06:16 PM
you've been working so hard on this car andy that in one picture, you have worn the knee's out on your jeans.

shell is looking very nice fella.

srs1
23-05-06, 06:16 PM
you've been working so hard on this car andy that in one picture, you have worn the knee's out on your jeans.

shell is looking very nice fella.

andybishop
23-05-06, 06:34 PM
Cheeky git... there my best jeans!!! ;-)

NickWalliams
23-05-06, 06:39 PM
love your nova mate, cant wait to see it finished! looks mint before!

yellow nova
23-05-06, 11:11 PM
Andy glad to see it's back home. But i should not be looking at this as it just gives me the horn to do another nova lol . And the wife says i'm out if i get one

karl Rowntree
30-05-06, 03:42 PM
Been looking forward to getting started on the old girl...

Engines going in friday night;) up all night then the pv beer session saturday:tard:

Karl

Riggy
30-05-06, 03:50 PM
car looks stuning andy , cant wait to see it back at the shows , top work :thumb:

draper
30-05-06, 03:50 PM
We did a lot of the rebuild at mine in the garage, Finishing the front end welding, sills, rear panel, arches and respray were done at a bodyshop just off the express way on the way into Birmingham called Pountney Motor Services (PMS) in Birmingham, Same place that did the work on Karl Rowntree's Red 16v Nova.

whats there prices like ?? so they did all the welding and replacing of panels ? there not to far from me and there work looks A1, did i read somewherethat you told him no rush and it took months??

andybishop
30-05-06, 04:09 PM

Engines going in friday night;) up all night then the pv beer session saturday:tard:

Karl
Evening fella, bit of a problem mate, doubt we can get the engine in friday night, need brake lines making up and fitting first.... otherwise they won't go past the gearbox..

andybishop
30-05-06, 04:13 PM
Spent 3 days in the garage on it, Waxoiled chassis legs, quarters and sills. Sand blasted, cleaned, preped and painted loads of bits ready to be fitted, still loads to do though!!

Fitted door and boot rubbers, lay most of the wiring out and fitted back lights.

krobinson
30-05-06, 06:25 PM

Karl

in the morning....

You want egg?

Keith

Ben
30-05-06, 06:50 PM
Looking ace as it used to LOL

You guys camping @ PV?

andybishop
30-05-06, 07:00 PM
Sod that cooking lark, we'll go down the Oatcake Shop in the morning!!!

andybishop
30-05-06, 07:02 PM
Looking ace as it used to LOL

You guys camping @ PV?

Cheers Ben, Should look better than before when done!!!

Yeah we're camping at PV mate. Are you?

Ben
30-05-06, 07:09 PM
Yeah but im not slumming it in a tent im taking my RV.

karl Rowntree
30-05-06, 07:35 PM
your kidding! whos going to making them up? could we not make some up ourselves? Ed made his lines up on the golf...

Was looking forward to it aswell.. What else do you want to get done friday mate?

What you doing about your rear beam? Do i need to get it poweder coated? Still got to pick the other bits up...

Give us a bell if you want mate, so many questionslol

andybishop
31-05-06, 12:37 PM
whats there prices like ?? so they did all the welding and replacing of panels ? there not to far from me and there work looks A1, did i read somewherethat you told him no rush and it took months??

Can't really say what prices are like as all cars will be different, he did a lot of work on mine, including, new sills, arches, rear panel, finishing off the front end, as we'd already taken off the old and fitting all the new panels. Stripped all the underside and arches and repaired, undersealed and painted whole of the underside.

Yeah it did take months, but i did say to him that there was no rush, just took a little longer than expected..

karl Rowntree
31-05-06, 07:58 PM
He will do the job as quick as you want but you will pay extra if you want it back asap, he did andys car in his spare time which kept the cost down. He does mainly insurance work so most of his time has to go on his contract work.

You get what you pay for really, put it this way dont expect a MINT job for a few hundred pounds. He can do you a cheap respray but it wont look like andys;)

Karl

SRlew
31-05-06, 10:24 PM
that is well nice mate. i look forward to seeing that finished.

keep up the good work bud!

Lee H
01-06-06, 09:07 AM
Car looks really good after seeing it in the flesh. Looking forward to getting my car to John on Saturday now.

Ben
04-06-06, 10:49 PM
Yeah but im not slumming it in a tent im taking my RV.

lol lol lol

;)

andybishop
04-06-06, 10:53 PM
Cracking RV that mate!!! LOL

andybishop
11-06-06, 11:29 PM
Bit more Progress on the Nova over the last 2 weekends, not as much as i would of liked, due to PV last weekend, Football and wedding yesterday.
Fitted Engine and Box last Friday night.

Fitted new steering rack today, new fuel and petrol line made up. Many bits cleaned, painted and fitted and lots of wiring!!!

www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)

Adam
12-06-06, 12:51 AM
Nice one Andy, its getting there.
Cars looks great after seeing it in the flesh :)
Scary amount of wires tho,Lol.

Its quite suprising how a quick paint makes the old parts look brand new again.

krobinson
12-06-06, 08:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing more and more progress. Makes me wish i was in a simaliar situation!

Keith

Adam Moran
13-06-06, 04:14 PM
Looks like you guys were having fun... Things dont change hey :D

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild3rdJune2006/dscf0991.jpg

karl Rowntree
16-06-06, 11:08 PM
lol was a giggle mate

andybishop
29-12-06, 07:52 PM
Well after the server being down that my progress site (www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)) is on for several months i decided to build a new server and restore the site. After seeing the site again it give me some inspiration to get back on with the car. Been out in the garage today tiding up ready to try and make some progress with the Nova.

krobinson
29-12-06, 11:05 PM
Good man andy, glad your cracking on with it!

andybishop
29-12-06, 11:49 PM
Cheers Keith, Updated site with pictures taken in September. Slightly more been done since then, but need to drop taken to put breather from fuel filler on as i forgot it.. doh!

Kev Turbo
30-12-06, 03:15 PM
glad to see site back up was trying to view this a while back with no luck

get cracking on mate cant wait to see it!

joff-turbo-nova
30-12-06, 09:16 PM
Andy,

Good to see your project moving on. Wiring loom looked a bit of a mare - reminds me of mine!!!! Having looked at your pictures I'm glad I had access to a 2 post lift as putting the engine through the bottom was a bit easier!!!

On the gearbox side of things if you need help with the linkage I have loads of pics of mine for reference!

Cheers

Joff

craig green
30-12-06, 09:21 PM
Andy is a top bloke & Ive known him for a few years now. We actually met in Belgium at the Corsa Treffen & his Nova was the 1st LET-Nova Ive been in.

A true Nova enthusiast & I hope this gets finished this year & we see Andy behind the wheel at some track & strip events once again.

andybishop
30-12-06, 09:37 PM
Joff, I know it makes things easier running a removable slam panel, but i ran mine before like that and after sometime it flexed and weakened most the top of the front panel and the bonnet used to lift at speed.. lol

Pics of linkage would be cool, still got that to do on mine.

Craig, Cheers for the kind works, hopefully will get the car done this year.

krobinson
30-12-06, 09:50 PM
Pics of linkage would be cool, still got that to do on mine.

And mine, remember you have my linkage too ;)

andybishop
30-12-06, 09:55 PM
Keith, yeah still got your linkage on the wall in the garage.. not moved since you left it here... lol

Lee H
02-01-07, 02:36 PM
Looking really good Andy. The underneath is mint.

I've got all this to come soon. Will have to sort my tank and beam out as seems a shame to bolt rusty things to a freshly painted car.

Adam
02-01-07, 04:03 PM
Looking good Andy, very nice.

The underneath is too nice get dirty,Lol.

craig green
02-01-07, 05:16 PM
Stunning progress. The underside looks awesome.

Nick J
03-01-07, 12:12 AM
Looks spot on andy, no short cuts there! It would be great to see it this year if you manage to get it ready in time!

andybishop
03-01-07, 12:21 AM
Cheers guys!! I do want it finished this year and on the road, but not setting any deadlines this time (Failed misablely with last years deadline of July!!), if its done for any shows or Nurburgring Trips I'll be well happy!! Going make sure i spend at least a few hours every weekend on it now though. Even been out in the garage tonight making a list of fuel pipes, exhaust clamps and rubbers that i need to get a few bits fitted!! Think they might have to wait see if i can pick up stuff cheaper at Autosport Next week as i could do with replacing all my poly bushes too...

scott.parker
03-01-07, 05:00 PM
Hey Andy,glad to see you still have the car and are working on her again.

How is things as last time i member you wer going through a few life changes?

Have you spoke to Karl lately,not seen him online or anything for ages,did he go to germany in the end?

Any way mate hope you have a good new year and the car come on flyingly.

Take it easy

Scott

krobinson
06-01-07, 08:23 PM
Any progress this weekend mate?

andybishop
06-01-07, 08:56 PM
Scott, Yeah things are ok mate, a few things happened as mentioned at the beginning of the thread which resulted in the nova rebuild being delayed.
Spoke to Karl the other day, he is still about but does'nt get on the net too much, he did'nt move to germany this year although he did buy a year pass for the ring and has been over there quite a few times this year.

Keith, Tiny bit of progress, Lisa brought me a bench grinder so i went in the garage the other night and tested it, cleaned up the rear beam and front tca bolts ready for paint, no progress today as i was too tired to get up early as planned and have had a storming headache all day. Hopefully get out and do some tomorrow though..

craig green
06-01-07, 09:19 PM
Andy, Ive just noticed that apparently you joined this forum in 1970! Good going as if my memory serves me correctly, Novas went on sale in 83?

Anyway good luck in the garage tomorrow.

andybishop
05-02-07, 11:47 PM
Updated the site with the progress so far, Slow process cleaning and painting everything!! At least there's some stuff on the car now. Wiring is holding me up a little otherwise i could get interior back in and doors and wings on.

Cheers to Craig for popping up this weekend and giving me a hand with the car, Maybe we should'nt of stayed up so late eating curry, drinking and watching Dukes of Hazard (Jessica simpsons ass!!) we might of got some done on it on sunday.. lol

kevster
06-02-07, 12:30 AM
keep up the long work lol i mean good work :) i think nova look good black too:)

Adam
06-02-07, 01:31 AM
Good to hear the build progress has restarted :)

craig green
06-02-07, 01:00 PM
This thing is stunning, cant wait to see it completed & out in the sunshine at a show or 2. Happy to help though I actually did very little. Ive a feeling this thing will have a sexy rear brake caliper (that was me) lol

I'll pop up again soon mate!

andybishop
24-03-07, 08:52 PM
Just added a bit of a update to my site, i have made more progress since these pics and will post pictures after tomorrow session in the garage. Taking longer than i had hoped due to other commitments, including work, our MR2 Magazine (www.mr2only.com (http://www.mr2only.com)) and working on and ragging the MR2 Only Project/Track car round Donnington!!

joff-turbo-nova
24-03-07, 10:01 PM
Andy,

Good to see yours progressing - mine engine is running - a bit of a nervous moment - bet you can't wait to get yours cranked over !!!

By the way whats the score with your hubs and the large chunks of metal behind the flange?? :-

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild3rdMarch2007/dscf0032.jpg

Keep up the work

Joff

PS Liking the chromed roll bar brackets :thumb:

krobinson
25-03-07, 11:02 AM
Those are super strength hubs Andy had custom made. They are awesome!

andybishop
25-03-07, 11:13 AM
Yeah as Keith says there custom made, basically an untouched 16v flange, with i think its a sherpa van bearing and then hub is machined out and a new retaining piece to hold them in. Karl ran them for about a year and when we took them off there was no play in them at all!!

andybishop
25-03-07, 08:18 PM
Made some more progress today on the car, its on it's wheels and it's been rolled outside for the first time in about 4 years!! Got the doors back on and started putting the vinal on so i can put all the windows in and build the doors up. Still a bit more wiring to do which will hopefully get sorted next weekend. Need to get the fueling side for things finished and finish plumbing the brakes in and sorting the handbrake cables out... Which is a nightmare as i keep on getting the wrong cables!! Even though i wrote down the part numbers when i originally did the rear disk conversion. Feels like i'm getting somewhere now though.

dan16v
26-03-07, 08:43 AM
just been on the site, cars looking realy nice Andy! bet you cant wait to have it complete!

Lee H
26-03-07, 09:03 AM
Need to get the fueling side for things finished and finish plumbing the brakes in and sorting the handbrake cables out... Which is a nightmare as i keep on getting the wrong cables!! Even though i wrote down the part numbers when i originally did the rear disk conversion. Feels like i'm getting somewhere now though.

Andy, if you work out which cables you need for the rear disks can you let me know as i've bought the wrong cables several times now and mines still not right!!

Adam
26-03-07, 11:58 AM
Nice one Andy.
Good to see it out the garage.

krobinson
26-03-07, 08:14 PM
Andy, if you work out which cables you need for the rear disks can you let me know as i've bought the wrong cables several times now and mines still not right!!

When i sorted mine, you just order the nova long cable, and a cavalier drum brakes short cable.

Keith

joff-turbo-nova
27-03-07, 07:11 AM
When i sorted mine, you just order the nova long cable, and a cavalier drum brakes short cable.

Keith

As Keith said I used a 1.6 Cavalier short cable but then needed to braze the nipple on the normal long nova cable as it was a tad too long.

Joff

Lee H
27-03-07, 09:04 AM

Keith

There are two different lengths of Nova long cable as on some cars the long cable ran to the drivers side rear wheel and on others it went to the passenger side rear wheel? Which side does the long cable on yours go to?

Terri-ann
31-03-07, 08:35 PM
Keiths goes to the drivers side!

@Andy: Hey mister! Long time no see! Hopefully the next time i get over (which could be ages) you will have her finished! As i said from the moment i seen her shes a beauty! And all i can do is wish you good luck as you deserve it with all the hard work your putting into it!

andybishop
01-04-07, 06:03 PM
Hi Terri-ann, Cheers!! It will be done next time you see it!! LOL, cracking on with it now. Most the wiring is done cheers to Rob, I've got the week off now so I will hopefully get plenty done on it and hopefully get it to the point of being ready to start it... Well with the old rad and intercooler in at least..

kevster
01-04-07, 06:05 PM
so will we see more pics on here soon ??? then andy ?? looking good :)

andybishop
01-04-07, 06:33 PM
Yeah i will upload progress pictures over the next few days..

craig green
01-04-07, 06:43 PM
Starting her up soon is good news mate!

must be coming together nicely.

andybishop
04-04-07, 08:47 PM
Mid Week Update!!

Well most of the week i've been cleaning, cleaning that much that the skin on my fingers has shrivelled up!!

All the carpets and seats are clean and are now in the car, The windows are now in apart from the front screen. I spent today tiding the garage and cleaning all the parts that are going back on the car. Now getting some real work done on it, started working on completing the rear, some of the fuel lines are done and will hopefully have all fuel lines and the front brake lines on tomorrow, then i can start fitting things back on the engine, ready to start it.. Only things holding me up at the moment are gear linkage and finding someone that can weld cast alloy so i can have the turbo inlet pipe modified..

craig green
05-04-07, 09:27 AM
Sounding promising Andy. Just go through the Yellow pages to find an alloy welder. Shouldnt be too hard to get hold of someone that can TIG that up in Stoke on Wotsit..

Adam
05-04-07, 10:16 AM
Sounding good Andy
Nearly done. :)

andybishop
15-04-07, 10:23 PM
Added a few more updates to the website. www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)

Cheers to Karl Rowntree for coming up this weekend to give me a hand, even though i ended up working all day saturday updating a customers server. Karl had the turbo off 4 times while i was at work as he had problems with the studs going into the head and also getting the water and oil feeds on and also got a few other bits and pieces sorted. When i got home about 6 o'clock we cracked on with some more work on the car, Mark Beeson and Martin Weaver also joined us with Beers in hand!! Need less to say Mart has some entertaining photos, and amazingly we made some good progress, even though Mark was Pi$$ed after having one bottle! It's getting that close now to starting it!! I've now taken rocker cover and cam cover off to paint them up, before anything else goes in.

Ignore the random hoses and stuff, there only going on as a temporary measure to get the car running, and then it will off for custom intercooler, rad, oil cooler and pipework.

We spent today fitted my old quickshift on Karl's Nova and setting it up after he lost 3 gears and then drove it back from germany. We spent the afternoon at Rob Delicata's lifting his engine and kit onto a trolley and also helping lift his shell off a frame and putting it back on after making some adjustments!! Can't wait till this badboy's on the road/Track!!

joff-turbo-nova
15-04-07, 10:44 PM
Spooky ..... I'm puttitng in my seats this week!

Joff

andybishop
22-04-07, 07:58 PM
Quite a few updates added to my site, www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk).

Managed to get the right handbrake cable and fitted that, my rods also come for "welding" the turbo inlet pipe, so we sorted that out the other night.

The biggest update though is that after 4 years and 2 days the engine started for the first time!! No big dramas, bit of a water leak from the thermostat area and a bit of confusion about if the fuel pump should prime or not, so relays were bypassed and when we had fuel pressure we attemped to start it but had no spark. Rob traced wires and ran a earth from the battery to the fuel rail and it started first time!! So we put the fuel relays back in, started it again fine no problems, removed the temp earth wiring, again started fine!! So there was nothing wrong with it in the first place, we just had'nt tried to start it as the pump did'nt prime!!

Just like to say cheers to Rob and Karl again for all their help getting it running, also cheers to Mark for coming over on saturday and getting oil pressure and priming the turbo ready for us to start it!! Cheers to Beastie and Weaver for their help too!

I even drove it for the first time too today, put it in reverse and pulled off, but the car went forwards! Linkage on it at the moment is impossible to get right, so we pushed the car out into the drive and let it run for a bit and then as it started to spot with rain i drove it back into the garage.

Sent my old linkage off to Dan to be rose jointed. So should have that back and fitted again soon..

Ignore all the piping and wiring, this is all being tidyed up or replaced, also ignore the oil cooler, it was all put in just to get it running. Car is booked back into the bodyshop for 19th May and will be booked in Radtec for intercooler and Rad tomorrow.

Anyway, pics and videos are on www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)

But for the lazy ones here's a Picture and a video clip...

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild22ndApril2007/Video000c.avi

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild22ndApril2007/dscf0010.jpg

andybishop
22-04-07, 10:09 PM
Few other problems i've just remembered, ECU light is on with error code 94 Hall sensor voltage high, so need to check the wiring that've we've altered and a few other things.
The drivers side driveshaft is really close to the bottom of the chassis leg, so i need to have a look into that, maybe due to how the tie bars are lowered..

Adam
22-04-07, 10:18 PM
Good stuff Andy, nice to hear it fire up :)

Rob77
22-04-07, 10:32 PM
Nice one mate!

Looking sweet!

Reckon it will make PVS?

peester
22-04-07, 10:36 PM
nice one chap, so many years in the making... will it be the best out of stoke yet??? .. lol.. (im kinda kidding, competition is uber tough)

craig green
23-04-07, 12:33 PM
Just noticed the rocker cover is Anthracite, or similar.

I thought the Silver one was mint when I saw it! Any hint on wheel colour there?

andybishop
23-04-07, 07:48 PM
I've booked tickets for PV, so hopefully it will be there!! Bodyshop week before... so all being well!!

Craig, the rocker cover is done in a grey colour, the same as the gearbox and all the other bits a pieces, there were marks on the silver and i'd decided on my colour theme, so decided to spray them.. still unsure on wheel colour but had thought about that colour for them... what do you think??

krobinson
23-04-07, 09:24 PM
Darker wheels are a must Andy, would look superb! And its easy to change them back later as your opinions change.

Keith

andybishop
24-04-07, 11:09 PM
Well nipped into the garage earlier for 5 mins and managed to sort the ecu code 94, swapped the distributor for a spare and reset the ecu, problem sorted. Must be a problem with the actual Hall Sensor on the distributor.

IT STILL RUNS!! Still well happy about that!!

andybishop
25-04-07, 10:52 PM
Some more progress tonight, checked all the brake lines were tight and put new fluid in and bled the brakes with the help of my missus Lisa, we then decided to test all the lights and indicators. With the dash still out i connected in all the stalks and switches and tested everything. How happy was i when everything worked!!! Only a couple of minor things, got a brake light out which was a problem with the bulb, got a dicky electric window switch (always been like that) and Main beam light on the dash not working. Considering the amount of wiring that has been chopped, re-routed and extended on the car loom and the engine loom it really something that everything works!! I have got to thank Rob again for doing such an amazing job of the wiring!!! Faultless!!!

Windscreen is being fitted Saturday morning, so i can get the wipers and stuff on then, Final check of wiring and secure all of that and then i can get the wings on and set the suspension up. Will get the gear linkage on as soon as i have that and set the gears up. Getting there...

craig green
26-04-07, 09:38 AM
Good news. Got to do that with mine as soon as I can sort the battery tray.

craig green
26-04-07, 09:42 AM
Craig, the rocker cover is done in a grey colour, the same as the gearbox and all the other bits a pieces, there were marks on the silver and i'd decided on my colour theme, so decided to spray them.. still unsure on wheel colour but had thought about that colour for them... what do you think??

It would look really nice with the wheels matching the grey/anthracite bits.

My attitude to painting the wheels is the same as Keith's, just paint them again when you get bored of that colour!

andybishop
07-05-07, 09:14 PM
Well not posted up much progress for a bit, but been working on the car at every opportunity. List of things to do is getting smaller, Windscreens in, all the panels are on but not setup yet, most of the engine bay is now sorted, managed to pick up a small air filter earlier at a kit car show which i've been struggling with. Had my tyres fitted that used to be on my softstars to the speedlines and given them a bit of a clean. Just need to sort a bit of wiring out and refit the dash, fit the door cards and speaker pods. Do a full spanner check and fit split pins on the rear hubs. Its going for the intercooler, radiator, oil cooler and pipe work on saturday and will be there for around 2 weeks, and then it's off to the bodyshop for a few days to be flatted and mopped. It's looking tight for getting it done for PV... still stuff i want to do on it and it need MOT'ing. Thinking of taking it on saturday to see what it fails on and needs doing, and then take it the saturday before PV. If everything is done and i am happy with it it will be at PV!! Plenty to be getting on with this week before it goes on saturday!!

Update on www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)

craig green
08-05-07, 10:04 AM
Sounds good mate. I really hope it comes together in time for PV. I guess you need some luck with the MOT's etc.

Crack on!

edit; Just looked at the progress on your site. She looks utterly stunning mate!
Even with some of the trim missing & grille, it looks amazing.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Craigypics/Bish2.jpg

I really like the colour chosen for the rocker cover too. Hope you do the wheels to match?
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Craigypics/Bish1.jpg

andybishop
08-05-07, 01:26 PM
Cheers Craig, should look even better once its got the rest of the vinal and stickers on. Hoping to get the wheels done too.. depends on time though, will see if John can do them whilst its in the paintshop. Cheers for posting up the pics too.

Adam
08-05-07, 01:31 PM
Looking sweet, be good to see it at PV! :)

craig green
08-05-07, 02:31 PM
No sweat mate. It looks gorgeous as it is considering the detail yet to go in place.

kevo16v
08-05-07, 03:48 PM
Spot on mate, Keep up the good work..... looks quality!

joff-turbo-nova
09-05-07, 08:08 AM
Fingers crossed for the MOT - mines due on Saturday - I even got my horn fitted last night and working!!!! (Still need some wiper arms and blades on to make it legal lol lol lol )

Keep it up

Joff

andybishop
09-05-07, 08:36 AM
Cheers Joff, Good luck with yours too mate!! Get your wiper arms and blade from vauxhall, there pretty cheap, i replaced all my linkage stuff too!!

peester
09-05-07, 09:20 AM
christ on a bike andy.. even garage-lighting conditions its looking awesome, top respray, thats before one mentions the details..
Amaizing.

Adam Moran
09-05-07, 04:35 PM
Look really good Andy!

Catch up with you at PVS hopfully

Ps Is the Round Tree coming?

andybishop
11-05-07, 08:41 AM
Yeah will catch up at PV mate, Yeah Karl is booked up to go, although not sure my nova will be there... it's going away for around 3 weeks on saturday, and there's still no dash in it, no door cards, and then when it's back from the bodyshop i have the vinal and stickers to fit and the side skirts. It will be out of the bodyshop a few days before PV, not enough time to sort the MOT.. oh well will see.

craig green
11-05-07, 09:38 AM
damn! It'll be so close though. I'll have a word with the show organiser & see if we can postpone it by 2 weeks!

You dont fancy finishing it in a field at Pod then?

joff-turbo-nova
19-05-07, 03:22 PM
Should be OK for Billing then???

Joff

andybishop
19-05-07, 08:00 PM
I don't know at the moment mate.. it's a bit up in the air. It away at the moment having intercooler, radiator, oil cooler and pipe work, then when finished it's going to the bodyshop to be finished. I go on holiday tomorrow for a week, so i've left it in the capable hands of Karl to project manage, as he's down that way anyway. Intercooler and stuff should be done for next weekend, it's going in the paintshop for a few days, which is the week leading up to PV.. Had a problem with before i took it last friday and Saturday where i could'nt get it to start at all, tried everything, swapped bits and all sorts.. Gave up in the end as i was going to be late getting it there. So got that to sort, fit the rest of the stickers, side skirts, finish a few bit of wiring and fit the dash, then mot it before saturday of PV.. It's going to be tight... But hopefully if we pull out all the stops we can get it there!!

craig green
21-05-07, 03:38 PM
But hopefully if we pull out all the stops we can get it there!!

Bit of team spirit should help with that! Best of luck anyway mate. :thumb:

andybishop
28-05-07, 01:04 PM
PV is looking even bleaker... Got back from holiday yesterday and at the moment i am unsure where the car is.. While i was away Karl organised for the car to be finished at Radtec on friday and moved from there to the bodyshop. But Karl's away in Newquay at the moment and his phone must be dead, and i can't get intouch with Radtec or the bodyshop with it being weekend and Bank Holiday to see if it was finished and moved in time..

draper
28-05-07, 01:05 PM
^^ i would put lots of money on you being a little nervous at the minute lol

andybishop
28-05-07, 01:09 PM
Yeah a little... but i know its at one or the other.. lol

andybishop
28-05-07, 02:10 PM
Woo Hoo!! Just had some news... the car is at the bodyshop!!. John has just text me back who runs the bodyshop, it was collected as planned on friday although the recovery guy had to wait around for a bit while Radtec finished it... So at least i know where it is now!

Adam
28-05-07, 02:31 PM
Good,Lol.

For a second there i thought it had gone missing.

Whats it in the bodyshop for??

andybishop
28-05-07, 02:34 PM
It's in having a few little bits put right and cutting back and mopping as it was'nt done when it was sprayed incased i knocked it or anything when i was building it back up.

Adam
28-05-07, 02:38 PM
Ahh right.
Cool.

Going be at Billing?

andybishop
28-05-07, 03:16 PM
It won't be at Billing unfortunately... a bit of bad timing on our July Nurburgring trip means were going on the same weekend!!

yellow nova
28-05-07, 03:38 PM
andy how much was the rad and intercooler and can you get some pictures up when you have a min

andybishop
28-05-07, 05:02 PM
Dave, I have no idea what the intercooler and rad look like at the moment, i know how i wanted them to look, but been on holiday until yesterday and only found out where my car was a couple of hours ago. I will get pictures up as soon as i have some.

It's had intercooler, radiator, oil cooler, oversized boost pipes to suit the Regal enlargered tophat.

yellow nova
28-05-07, 08:25 PM
that all sound's very nice

Lee H
29-05-07, 08:59 AM
Lucky John now has two black Nova's again. Wish mine was at the stage yours is though Andy.

craig green
29-05-07, 09:28 AM
LOL thats quite amusing reading these last 2 pages!

Look forward to seeing the pics of the fr end mate.

andybishop
30-05-07, 02:55 PM
I've finally seen some pictures of the car, Intercooler and stuff looks mint, intercooler in Mahhooooosssiiivveee!!! Still awaiting on the top water hose, and needs to go back into Radtec as they did'nt have time to give everything the final polish. They also need to change all the silicon hoses as it seems to have blue on and i asked for Black!! Easily sorted though.

I think i've resided to the fact it won't be at PV as there is far too much to do on it and i don't want to rush it and stuff not be finished or not be how i want it. My main target is for my trip to Germany in July anyway, I wanted to do PV in it as a chance of running it in.

I still need to sort the starting problem which occured the night before taking it to Radtec, fit the new gear linkage, re-fit the dash and the rest of the interior bits and pieces, fit sideskirts, fit all the stickers and vinal.. So think its too much to get done as i won't be getting the car back until thursday or friday from been flatted and polished. Also the silicon hose is not turning up until tomorrow with radtec and don't really want to run it too much with the blue stuff on. I am gutted though that it won't be at PV as i'd push so hard and worked on it so much to try and get it done...

andybishop
30-05-07, 03:11 PM
Oh and get it MOT'd and taxed!!!

Lee H
30-05-07, 03:14 PM
Oh and get it MOT'd and taxed!!!

Think the MOT part is the thing i'm dreading most for mine!!

Are you going collecting your car from John? Hopefully mine is pretty much ready now a year to the day I dropped it off lol

andybishop
30-05-07, 03:19 PM
Depends when its ready and if i can arrange something to get it back with... Might see if the guy who shifted from Cannock will do it and how much.

Lee H
30-05-07, 03:23 PM
This is the problem i'm going to have, can't get in touch with the guy who took it down there for me at the moment so need to sort an alternative out. Really enjoyed looking at the updates by the way, car looks stunning and keeps me thinking mine should to be worth the long wait.

andybishop
05-06-07, 12:25 PM
Got the car back on saturday from the bodyshop, so there was no chance of it being done for PV. Rob and Mart come round last night to give me a hand with it, got the new linkage on it, sorted the starting problem out and it now runs. Mart started to fit the sideskirts, and found the back bits needed heating up and reshaping to get a decent fit. Its getting closer now!!

Took it for a quick test drive too..

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/images/down.avi

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/images/up.avi

Couple of weeks work still do do on it, but its getting closer now!!

Lee H
05-06-07, 12:42 PM
Intercooler and radiator look really smart Andy, car looked awesome when I saw it at Johns on Saturday.

andybishop
05-06-07, 12:55 PM
Yeah John said i'd just missed you on saturday, Still some changes to be done to the cooler setup. But yeah quite impressed with it!

Lee H
05-06-07, 02:15 PM
Just be grateful it isn't still a bare shell like mine.

Rick Draper
05-06-07, 03:48 PM
Andy get some pics up of the rad and cooler setup then, sounds interesting.

andybishop
05-06-07, 04:06 PM
Will be posting up pics of the cooler setup when it's been back to Radtec and i am completely happy with it. You can make it out in the video just about, but can't see the rad and oil cooler. I'm sure Lee sneaked a few Pictures when he was over at Johns at the weekend. Intercooler is basically full front behind the lights, Radiator sat behind it and fan behind that, all nicely tucked behind a unmodified bumper and slightly modded grill as i found out lastnight..

andybishop
06-06-07, 12:53 PM
Just be grateful it isn't still a bare shell like mine.

Mate yours is not a bare shell compared to what mine was like when it was at johns!! ;)

Lee H
07-06-07, 03:09 PM
Mate yours is not a bare shell compared to what mine was like when it was at johns!! ;)

Fair point, I didn't fancy removing the dash due to the cage and the birds nest of wiring behind it :D

Adam
07-06-07, 03:39 PM
Nice one, sounds awesome in the vids :)

twin40s
08-06-07, 11:09 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm turbo

craig green
11-06-07, 10:06 AM
Andy; update the Novaturbo site.

CG

andybishop
11-06-07, 10:23 AM
Craig, Got plenty of progress pictures to upload as i've been on it every night last weekend and most the weekend along with prepping our MR2 Track car ready to go out to the ring in 2 weeks.. Going to book the Nova in for MOT on Saturday, need to get some tires before then and re-fit the dash. Just odds and ends to do then really.. Will upload the pictures tonight.

craig green
11-06-07, 01:04 PM
Sounds good buddy!

krobinson
11-06-07, 06:18 PM
Called in with Andy again on Thursday, The car's looking superb now, it really is a superb build!

Keith

kevster
11-06-07, 07:05 PM
just had a look at you web space pic omg !!!! sweet work matey keep up the very good work !!!!!

andybishop
11-06-07, 08:42 PM
I've updated the site now as i'm having a night off working on the nova because i feel like crap. Uploaded the pics i have of when i took it down to Radtec, Whilst i was on holiday it as moved from Radtec to the bodyshop that i use in Birmingham to be cut back and polished. I picked it up from there on the Saturday of the PV weekend. So this week i've spent every night on it and Split the weekend between the Nova and our MR2 Track Car which we're taking to germany in less than 2 weeks! Managed to get all the front end built up over the weekend, still needs the panels aligning and the grill still needs slight mods for the intercooler has it seems to be pushed up at the moment. I've booked it in for MOT next saturday, ordered some new tires for it today which should be here on wednesday. Started on the dash wiring yesterday and got the solenoids working for the central locking and cleaned out the bottom of the doors and stuck a bit of waxoil in there. Still plenty to do before the weekend. Hopefully should get there!!!

andybishop
11-06-07, 10:33 PM
As it is at the moment..
http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild10thJune2007/dscf0012.jpg
http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild10thJune2007/dscf0016.jpg

peester
11-06-07, 11:17 PM
^ oooooooooooooooooffffffff.

andybishop
11-06-07, 11:18 PM
^ oooooooooooooooooffffffff.

Is that good or bad..... or did the cat type it?

peester
11-06-07, 11:34 PM
oh.. sorry, thought it was common lingo...
its good mate its good. how can it not be - that front-on pic is brochure-like..
Top chap that adi culley aint he.. and u guys for taking that standard to more than just skin deep.

peester
11-06-07, 11:40 PM
not to go off topic, but just so i dont feel a tool; here's where oooff comes from, for me..
http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1155631861

andybishop
11-06-07, 11:41 PM
Ady did'nt paint it this time unfortunately, due to it still requiring a lot of welding, as in finishing the front end, sills, rear arches and rear panel, i decided to take it to the place Karl Rowntree's was done, as i knew John was excellent at this kind of work, Check Karl's arches now, still a few years after it was painted and there mint!! At one stage i was going to get John to do the welding and then ship it over to Ady to paint it, but made more sense to have it done in one place.

Adam
11-06-07, 11:41 PM
Looks awesome andy, paintwork looks amazing :)

andybishop
11-06-07, 11:43 PM
not to go off topic, but just so i dont feel a tool; here's where oooff comes from, for me..
http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1155631861

ahhhh, not heard that before, Getting old now, must be a youthful saying... ;)

craig green
12-06-07, 09:34 AM
The frontal shot is almost brochure like as the man says.

Best of luck with the MOT & what not Andy. Hope to see it soon.

krobinson
12-06-07, 06:38 PM
Looks superb andy, absolutely superb~!

Adam
12-06-07, 09:49 PM
Had a look at Andys car tonight, its superb, the paint finish is top notch. The ic setup is very nice indeed :)
Be good to see it completely finished.

Dose
13-06-07, 01:22 AM
Absolutley stinning mate...well done...see her at billing?

dan16v
13-06-07, 04:27 PM
looks realy good Andy! any better pics of the rad/cooler set up yet? ie one off the car?

andybishop
16-06-07, 11:13 PM
looks realy good Andy! any better pics of the rad/cooler set up yet? ie one off the car?

Sorry mate, i don't have any pics of the setup off the car, as it was all while i was away, and they did it all on the car.

craig green
16-06-07, 11:14 PM
Hey Dude!

How is the car now? MOT'd?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/AndyB2.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/AndyB1.jpg

Gorgeous.

andybishop
16-06-07, 11:43 PM
Today was MOT day....

Last night was a late one!!! I have to say big thanks to Rob, Karl, Ian and Mart for helping out in a last ditch attempt to get my Nova ready for its MOT today. With a list of little jobs on the board to get done ready for the MOT we cracked on, with our normal randomness and silly moments caused by a bit of drink and the late night working!!

It was coming light this morning when we left the garage at 4.15 am!! Me and Karl were back in there at 9 o'clock this morning doing a few final checks, and then off down to the petrol station at the bottom of my road for a bit of fuel and a quick road test round the block. Back into the garage for a quick check over. Everything seeming fine.

Anyway took it for the test and it failed on a couple of things, no rear centre lap belt, Headlights too high and not adjusting down and wheel rubbing on gearbox on full lock. So we took it back home, removed the Seat belt clippy in thing, because if it's there they can't test it apparently, threw on some spacers on the wheel and a slight adjustment to the tracking as this is out anyway. Also took the lights out and attempted to clip the motors into the lights, managed to get it to adjust the lights up and down so took it back for it to be checked over again. Got it back on the ramp and tested the lights, still way to high and unable to adjust it down enough. By this time they were closing, so not enough time to check it out again and take it back. Got it back in the garage again and tried again, this time we set up a board and some markers to make sure we got it the lights right. Took the motors back out and this time really forced the motors in until they clipped completely into place. Perfect!!

So now i have to take the car back before 5.30 on monday... All the bits are sorted now, so hopefully it will pass!! Managed to put 4.7 Miles on it today.

Still a lot stuff to do on it over the next few weeks before our trip to germany, but also got to get some miles on it and iron out any problems.

Cheers again to Rob, Karl, Ian and Mart for helping get it ready.

andybishop
16-06-07, 11:56 PM
Updated site (www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk)) with a few pics.

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild16thJune2007/dscf0016.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild16thJune2007/dscf0010.jpg

Adam
17-06-07, 12:30 AM
Looks awesome, good to hear it only failed on minor things :)
Not long now before you can have a proper drive!

ThomasD
17-06-07, 12:57 PM
Very great Nova!!!

Greats from Germany!!

craig green
18-06-07, 03:08 PM
Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? Pass or fail? etc

Adam
18-06-07, 03:10 PM
Lol

andybishop
18-06-07, 04:07 PM
Opps... forgot to post up the results!! Took it back down this morning for them to check the 3 things and it passed fine. So its now Mot'd and taxed!! Noticed something when running backwards and forwards to the test centre. It clunks when going into 2nd, tried changing clutch cable and adjusting the linkage but still the same, other gears are fine. So suspect 2nd gear synchro has gone. Already looked into pricing of parts and arranged for someone to strip it down to sort it out. Mart has very kindly offered me the use of his gearbox for a few weeks while mine is being sorted and also for the ring trip in a few weeks. So thats a job for this week... Nightmare!!!

Adam
18-06-07, 04:19 PM
Read about the box on VS, bad news that :(
Good news about mot :)

Dont scratch the paint getting the box out! Lol

krobinson
18-06-07, 06:50 PM
Nightmare on the gearbox andy! Hope you get it sorted soon tho! I dont think it would be a proper nova turbo without something going wrong.

Keith

craig green
20-06-07, 05:11 PM
I dont think it would be a proper nova turbo without something going wrong.

Got that right. Well to be fair, if thats the only issue with it after a rebuild... You've done well IMO.

(Touch wood)

blue_peg_16v
21-06-07, 12:42 PM
awsome car mate

andybishop
21-06-07, 12:54 PM
Marts gearbox is now in my nova, just a few pieces to re-fit tonight and then it will be on the road again, Not looking forward to having to dismantle it all again to refit mine when it's fixed. Will be able take more time then though and will get some more bits and pieces stripped and powercoated as there's a few bits i'm not happy with.

Got to say cheers to Ade at our local vauxhall, rang him up to say i would'nt be able to get in to pick my gearbox oil up yesterday, he said no worries i'll bring it round for you. Turned up with my engine oil, gearbox oil and nice new GSI Badge for the front bumper.. Now that's what a call good service!!

blue_peg_16v
21-06-07, 12:56 PM
whish my dealer was like that as soon as you mention the word nova they look down there nose at ya

andybishop
21-06-07, 01:01 PM
Ade is mint, he will try and track any parts down that you want, and will do a full dealer search in europe if needs be. Some of the other fellas there are the same as your dealer, look at you strange when you mention nova!

andybishop
21-06-07, 11:43 PM
Gearbox is now all done, built everything back up and took it for a drive and took a few of the lads out in it who have helped me, gears are all fine and it feels good!! Hopefully finishing work early tomorrow so i'm going to take it to have the tracking done. It's booked in to go back to Radtec, and then some final bits and pieces to do before germany in under 2 weeks!!

Adam
22-06-07, 12:05 AM
Awesome :)

Kev Turbo
24-06-07, 08:55 PM
good luck in germany mate

been following thsi project for years glad you got through the tough times to finish it,

great work, have fun!

craig green
25-06-07, 04:33 PM
Sounds good Andy. Likewise about my local dealers. Bunch of useless, miserable old men.

You cant imagine how quick the words 'No longer serviced I'm afraid' can roll off the tongue. I'm sure they say it with an undertone of pleasure too.

Car sounds fantastic. New grille badge yeah?

andybishop
26-06-07, 11:17 AM
Had the tracking sorted at the weekend, Mart took it for me while i was over in Germany, Drove it down to Birmingham lastnight so Karl can take it into Radtec for me while i'm away for a few days to finish a few things with the coolers. That was fun, absolutely hammering it down with rain and ended up coming off the motorway at Cannock because of traffic on the motorway, driving through the floods was fun.... Just odds and ends to do once i get it back, vinal and stickers to fit, then going give it a oil change, a proper good clean and polish as everything is filthy underneath now! and then it will be ready for Germany. Just got to sort the gearbox again when i get back, that should be fun!!

craig green
26-06-07, 12:55 PM
Took out for a good English summer, soaking already!

Mike
26-06-07, 12:57 PM
Had the tracking sorted at the weekend, Mart took it for me while i was over in Germany, Drove it down to Birmingham lastnight so Karl can take it into Radtec for me while i'm away for a few days to finish a few things with the coolers. That was fun, absolutely hammering it down with rain and ended up coming off the motorway at Cannock because of traffic on the motorway, driving through the floods was fun.... Just odds and ends to do once i get it back, vinal and stickers to fit, then going give it a oil change, a proper good clean and polish as everything is filthy underneath now! and then it will be ready for Germany. Just got to sort the gearbox again when i get back, that should be fun!!

sounds like your cracking on chap :thumb:

I was going up the M6 (to stoke) and coming down again last night to cannock, and the visibility was appualing!! so much spray/standing water going through stafford that everyone slowed down to around 40mph!

andybishop
15-07-07, 08:32 PM
It made it to Germany and back!!! Now done 1700 miles since rebuild with no major problems.

Rob picked the car up from Radtec for me on the Saturday before i was due to go to germany in it, i was struggling to get it as i was on my way back from a 3 day works incentive (pi$$ up) in Puerto Banus and would of been in no state to get it... Radtec had changed all the pipes to Black as i'd originally wanted and fitted the fan temp sensor in the radiator which they had forgotten to do. Over the next few nights we sorted some wiring out and sorted some alarm problems we'd been having, and on the Tuesday night Mart and I were working on it till around 1am, fitting all the pipe work for the heaters which we had'nt done when we threw the dash in for the MOT, this almost involved removing the dash again. All the dash components were fitted, door builds, wiring for speakers and door cards were fitting. New Roose motorsport pipes were fitted to replace the red samco and overbraided pipe i had going to the top header tank outlet. It was finally in a decent state to get us to germany.

After work on Wednesday we loaded the car up and left Stoke to head for Dover, picking Karl up from the services on the M6 on the way and also fitting the new Ipod head unit that i'd had delivered that day on the way. We made it for ferry in plenty of time, however a different story for beastie who had forgotten something vital for a european trip.. narrowly making the ferry in time!! On the other side we drove through the night in the rain and arrived at the hotel at around 8 in the morning. Met up the rest of the group who had caught an earlier euro tunnel crossing, and later on Novaneil and his group turning up.

Over the following 5 days i did 5 steady laps in the Nova and started to give it a bit more stick after running the engine in with a couple of trips to Koln Bonn airport to pick up and drop off some friends who had flown out.

I only encountered two problems while over there, one being that it was overboosting to 20psi and the ecu was cutting it back, i adjusted it back bit by bit and eventually got to the end of the thread on the actuator. It now cuts only in 5th and 6th under heavy load. I'd just taken the turbo off the Cavalier i had and not set it up, the cav ran a superchipped ecu and bleed valve which was used to control the boost. I will be chipping it at some point soon to sort the problem and will be able to run more boost.

The other problem was that the i could hear the clutch cable snapping a strand at a time as i drove round the roads surrounding the ring, whilst trying to diagnose my gearbox problem i'd stuck a old cable on it which was past it. This was easily sorted with a trip to the guest house and swapping it with a another from my comprehensive spares stockpile i'd taken with me.

Car needs a damn good cleaning now ready for Trax, also need to sort my wheels out, fit the vinal and stickers and do the final tidy of the engine bay and sort a scuttle cover out, oh and get my gearbox rebuilt, fit it and give Marts his back...

Only pictures i can find on the net of it...

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/images/nurburgringcam.png

Being overtaken by a porsche...

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/images/ringlap.jpg

Adam
15-07-07, 08:44 PM
Good to hear things went well mate :)

craig green
15-07-07, 10:23 PM
Well built car to have done that with so few/non breakdowns etc.

krobinson
16-07-07, 07:37 PM
Need some proper pics now mate :)

andybishop
17-07-07, 11:22 AM
Will get more pictures up as soon as i've given it a good cleaning and sorted the few bits i want to finish on it.

martweaver
17-07-07, 09:19 PM
Car was faultless!! well done to everyone involved!!

It feels so well bolted together & all the care & attention every part has recieved really shows on it. My only complaint was its impossible to sleep in the back of it while on the move! Ah well, can't have everything:)

Couple of highlights were out-dragging a BMW down the main straight & the guy coming straight over to us in the carpark for a look.
And while Karl was driving trying to catch the ferry, cruising at around 110 on the motorway he shakes his head saying "this has so much more still to give" - Nippy then!!

Mart

krobinson
17-07-07, 09:42 PM
And while Karl was driving trying to catch the ferry, cruising at around 110 on the motorway he shakes his head saying "this has so much more still to give" - Nippy then!!

Mart

lol! lol

draper
17-07-07, 09:42 PM
top work, bet your chuffed it survuved

asscona78
18-07-07, 10:47 AM
Nice sleeper!
Too bad that here in Finland we can?t put legally LET or XE either on Nova :cry:

I?m sure LET Nova goes smooth :cool:

andybishop
03-09-07, 10:39 AM
Well as some of might of seen yesterday at Trax my Nova rebuild is pretty much done now!! It was kind of finished couple of months ago and i did a trip to the ring in it but still had plenty i wanted to do on it. So since i've been back it's been up on axel stands in the garage and everythings been cleaned and polished, had the vinal and stickers have been fitted. Should of took some mirrors really to show the work thats gone into the underside too.. Also made a brave decision about having the wheels done darker, cheers to NJ for doing a great job of them, plenty of people commented on how good it looks so hopefully i made the right decision!! I will update my site with the progress pictures soon, but here a couple of pictures nicked from NJ from yesterday(hope you don't mind mate!!)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/trax07008.jpg?t=1188760896

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/trax07006.jpg?t=1188760876

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/trax07033.jpg?t=1188761250

craig green
03-09-07, 10:58 AM
Wheel colour looks spot on Andy. Car looks awesome, drive OK?

Riggy
03-09-07, 11:23 AM
yeah looks fapin mint andy , project de-rust is officially complete lol :thumb:

craig green
03-09-07, 11:30 AM
project de-rust is officially complete lol

andybishop
03-09-07, 11:33 AM
Cheers Craig, Yeah it drives ok, well as ok as a turbo nova can!! lol, it's good fun though!

Going to do a few more bits on it over winter and make it even cleaner i think, few bits i want to redo.

craig green
03-09-07, 11:35 AM
Dedication.

Hopefully mine will be a runner soon.

Adam
03-09-07, 12:14 PM
Aye, does look awesome.
Perfect wheel colour imo

Ian_Gsi16v
03-09-07, 01:08 PM
Seen this yesterday, me and my mate both agreed it was car of the show for us ! Can't beat a mint GSi with a let !

Nick J
03-09-07, 10:26 PM
Looks the absolute business mate! Im sooo glad you went for the darker colour, finished the exterior off perfectly the vinyls,wheels,badges etc, top job fella.

shy witness
03-09-07, 10:31 PM
yum yum yum yum yum

joff-turbo-nova
06-09-07, 08:20 PM
Had a good look at the car on Sunday - great job - loving the way Radtech have sorted the intercooler out !!

Wanted a chin wag but couldn't find you !

Nice colour on the wheels as well!

Joff

andybishop
06-09-07, 08:35 PM
Cheers Joff, I actually got the idea from Ed's Astra Turbo (Dave Franzaks old one) which is done in a similar way. Sent some pics and idea's to Radtec and asked if it was possible and would it work ok. Must say i'm impressed with the job they've done, and is exactly how i wanted it. It was all made up on the car and another 2 sets made for Keith and Martin's.

Yeah wouldn't of minded catching up with you, i was mostly wandering around or lying down behind the car.

Had a quick look round yours too at Trax, looks excellent! Plenty of work gone into it!! Impressive!

krobinson
06-09-07, 09:07 PM
Your a legend Andy, a man amongst men ;)

andybishop
09-05-08, 12:50 AM
Just thought it was time for a bit of an update.

I took the car off the road in November last year when the tax run out, after doing the ring trip and attending Trax in it and generally enjoying driving it again!! It was time to give Mart his F28 back, so it's sat in the garage up in the air since!!

My gearbox is away at the moment having the syncro's done. While the front end was in bits I decided to get a few bits re-done that i wasn't happy with. So I stripped the anti-roll bars, wishbones, gearbox mounts and rear beam off it and took them to be powder coated. I also took a load of bolts and odds and ends to be zinc coated that i'd previously painted, so i'm doing another mini rebuild at the moment. Just waiting on some rear wheel bearings, handbrake cable guides and some bits for the backing plates and i can start building it back up. Hopefully it will be done and taxed for PV... :eek:

I've just spent the last couple of hours updating my site www.nova-turbo.co.uk (http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk) but here's a few pictures anyway.

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild10thJune2007/dscf0016.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild26thAugust2007/dscf0015.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild18thNovember2007/img_0976.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild22ndApril2008/img_1497.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild22ndApril2008/img_1499.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild7thMay2008/img_1973.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild7thMay2008/img_1984.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild8thMay2008/img_2017.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboRebuild8thMay2008/img_2024.jpg

scott.parker
09-05-08, 08:05 AM
Ahh..now this will show how much ive kept my eyes open..lol i didnt even know it had been on the road last year, looks ace Andy im well impressed with how it looks and what your doing to it, i dont know how you find the motivation to be honest though.

Scott

craig green
09-05-08, 02:23 PM
Its as close to perfect as I've ever seen Scott. Credit to Andy's motivation.

Adam
09-05-08, 08:36 PM
Looks as good as ever Andy. :)

andybishop
05-06-08, 01:06 PM
Another Update!!

Gearbox has now been rebuilt, cheers to Pitstoppete on Mig for sorting it so quickly for me, had 1st, 2nd and 3rd syncros replaced. Fitted it Friday night/Saturday morning. Cheers to Rob for giving me a hand fitting the box. Rebuilt all the front end back up and fitted the powder coated beam and other bits. Taxed it on monday and had the Dent man out lastnight to remove two little dints on the bonnet and one on the rear quarter. So all being well it will be at PV this weekend on the JOV stand. Just need to get it back up in the air to give it a damn good polishing and a final spanner check.

craig green
06-06-08, 01:15 PM
Sounds good Andy. Look forward to catching up with y'all at some point over the weekend.

CG

krobinson
08-06-08, 05:48 AM
Cya today mate, car was looking mint yesterday :)

andybishop
17-06-08, 11:12 PM
Here's are few pictures from PV, Time to get it ready for Billing now!! Needs a good cleaning after the off roading at PV!!

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2290.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2291.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2292.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2293.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2294.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2295.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2296.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2297.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2298.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2299.jpg

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/PV2008/img_2300.jpg

peester
17-06-08, 11:16 PM
^ not workin for me...
btw- sorry i missed you at pv about the vents - i didnt manage to find jov..
you at billing??

andybishop
17-06-08, 11:18 PM
Whats not working? Yeah no worries fella, i had them with me, don't think many people found the JOV stand from people asking if i was there.. Yeah i'll be at Billing.

peester
17-06-08, 11:22 PM
pics weren't working for me, but now are.. lol.
Ill find you at billing..
Its still the tidyest LET nova ive ever seen.
Now that yours is done, what of mart weavers?? off the subject a sec..

andybishop
17-06-08, 11:33 PM
pics weren't working for me, but now are.. lol.
Ill find you at billing..
Its still the tidyest LET nova ive ever seen.
Now that yours is done, what of mart weavers?? off the subject a sec..
Yeah no worries mate, cheers!! Took a lot of work to sort the bay out and make it as tidy as possible!!

Don't know what's happening with Mart's! Not heard off him for quite a while, have offered to help him get it sorted too... :confused:

Rick Draper
17-06-08, 11:35 PM
Stunning andy.

The Simps
18-06-08, 08:46 AM
bum gravy! missed this at PV. not gonna make it to Billing :(

hybridturbo
18-06-08, 09:08 AM
How it should of left the factory :D

andybishop
18-06-08, 11:00 AM
Should be at Trax too, and the PNG Billing National Day hopefully..

Adam
18-06-08, 05:16 PM
Awesome car :D

Never saw it at pv unfourtunately

krobinson
12-02-09, 11:11 PM
Congratulations on the Feature in this month's TV Andy.

One of my all time fav's and a well deserved feature.

Nick J
12-02-09, 11:14 PM
Well deserved Andy after all the hard work.... looking forward to reading the feature :)

Adam
12-02-09, 11:15 PM
As said the other day mate, Congrats.
Well deserved after all the time/money/effort you put into it :)

Paul
12-02-09, 11:49 PM
oo, whens it on sale to non subscriber's?

andybishop
12-02-09, 11:58 PM
Cheers guy's I'm well impressed with the feature!! It is out tomorrow in the shops as far as I know, although do have it scanned in, but best not post it up on here...