PDA

View Full Version : Single wiper

Adam
09-05-06, 03:11 PM
Is this where the wiper should be sitting:-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/SingleWiper1.jpg

?

It does sweep the screen, but only to about the same angle on the drivers side, is that right? :confused:

draper
09-05-06, 04:23 PM
yeah thats right, id have mine straight up the middle tho, ok its not quite legal but never mind;)

saw 1 once with the wiper blade "parked" on the drivers side, :wtf:

Jack
09-05-06, 04:44 PM
If that only sweeps to the same point on the drivers side, thats going to cause problems come MOT time...

Has anybody tried replacing tyhe mechanism with one from a car thats designed to have a single wiper? (thinking Fiat Uno etc) Surely that would give a wider angle?

Wilson
09-05-06, 05:32 PM
My mate replaced his wiper motor on his mk2 sr with one from a citren ax and that done the whole screen. mines the same as yours but its only because the lug that holds the linkage to the other arm broke so i moved the centre one up a bit and put a 18" wiper blade on it lol

Adam
09-05-06, 05:35 PM
I cant remember exactly where it sweeps to,
it could be about in line with the top of the steering wheel.
Have to wait till it rains, as the blade doesn't move too well on a dry screen anyway,Lol.

Lee
09-05-06, 10:15 PM
fill up your washer bottle then lol.

And yes, ****roen AX linkage is a good bet, i have one on mine and it sweeps whole screen.

Adam
10-05-06, 12:00 AM
Tis full, but thats wasting the washer bottle motor, v. handy for a working one come MOT time ;) Lol

I've blocked the other hole, by putting a grommet inside the small wiper plastic thing, and then tigersealing that over the hole, looks a bit ghey tho, and you can see it, so it may just look like my other wiper has fell off,lol.

I might end up swapping it back before the week is over, it will do my head in keep seeing the wiper half way up the window,Lol.

I've also noticed the linkage scrapes against the blower motor plastic scuttle cover as well :roll:

alistairolsen
10-05-06, 12:07 AM
single wipers are for gays

Adam
10-05-06, 12:14 AM
Do you have one? :plol

PS-Stop spamming my thread :plollol

alistairolsen
10-05-06, 12:16 AM
nope, my cars fast enough that i like to be able to see where Im going.

PS, at least you can tell our cars apart now;)

Adam
10-05-06, 12:24 AM
PS, at least you can tell our cars apart now;)
Probably be changed back to std wipers tomorrow ;) Lol

Tim
10-05-06, 11:04 AM
dont dispare, when it was fitted to mine all i did was cut the black and purple wire on the wiper motor, this will allow u to park it anywhere u choose on the screen, just fit some bullet type connectors on it to allow u to reconnect it at a later date. let me know how u get on.

it will work just needs some perserverance, bekive me i know :thumb:

Adam
10-05-06, 02:25 PM
Pretty much sorted now.
It wipes to almost horizontal on the driver side, and about 3" below where it sits on the passenger side.

I've got a Pug 306 rear wiper arm, but the arm seems too short and so sits too low on the screen, touching the rubber at the bottom, but leaving a gap of about 5" at the top.
So im sticking with the nova type arm atm.

Adam
10-05-06, 06:18 PM
I've just been informed(cheers Baxter) lol
That the screw thread on the linkage adjusts how far it sweeps?

I've got the thread fully tightened,Lol, so the linkage is at its shortest length.

Any info?

Ste L
10-05-06, 06:25 PM
this is where mine used to sit, and it used to sweep the whole screen, to right below the steering wheel

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/Nova%20SRi/wiper.jpg

Adam
10-05-06, 06:36 PM
Ok, cheers Ste.
Im going have a fiddle with this thread on the linkage,lol.

Adam
10-05-06, 07:17 PM
Got it to sit about where yours did now Ste.
Sweeps to about the height of the wing mirror on the drivers side.
I've no idea what the threaded bar section does tho, it doesn't seem to alter anything.

Jack
10-05-06, 09:31 PM
+1

Best thing I found about selling my ancient Uno and buying the Nova was I had two windscreen wipers rather than one... hence why I can never understand the mentality of those who do single wiper conversions lol

supernova1992
11-05-06, 06:31 PM
I spent a whole hour removing the goddam wiper linkages from my nova (bending them beyond repair in the process) in preparation for a single wiper conversion. reading this has made me realize just how much of a ball ache a single wiper conversion is gonna be... why couldnt i have read that a week ago??? :(

Ste L
12-05-06, 02:44 PM
i had no problem with mine on my old one when i did it, took it all of 10 mins to do it

Adam
12-05-06, 02:51 PM
I had no problems at all fitting mine, took me about 10mins too.
Its just getting it sitting perfectly that takes the time, the actual fitting is a piece of pi**.