PDA

View Full Version : tips for neurburg at end of month

pul16v
07-05-06, 02:24 PM
hi everyone first post on here got a nova gte am of to the ledgendary neurburg has anyone got any tips an things to do an take before we go wel thats wen project is dun ill post pics of it 2 nite if anyone is interested been at it 3 month;) thanks pul16v

lj
07-05-06, 02:51 PM
take it easy and stay on the track! lol

pul16v
07-05-06, 03:08 PM
thats a gud idea have nw got a hell of a lot of dosh in my nova dunt wana smash it does anyone no what the track conditions are like?

krobinson
07-05-06, 03:13 PM
First, learn to spell, and dont talk like a chav.

Next, just make sure you have your directions sorted. Once there, the only advice i can give is to take your time to learn the track, dont go out trying to get record times.

Keith

pul16v
07-05-06, 03:21 PM
ok thanks keith are the track conditions much different to general roads in uk theres a load of us going 23rd they have been before but all in big cars like audis so whats it really like

krobinson
07-05-06, 03:24 PM
The weather is pretty simaliar to the UK. Should be warmish and dry, the track is grippy, just watch out if it rains as its very slippy.

Keith

Stuart
07-05-06, 03:27 PM
and maybe dont do more than one lap without checking your engine fluids ;)

pul16v
07-05-06, 03:28 PM
Rite great how many times have you been to the ring then are there alot of mad driveres over there have heard some interesting stories ?

pul16v
07-05-06, 03:31 PM
We need to do that anyway as the new engine will be just run in an do not fancie been stranded over there with a wrecked engine an a big bill

NovaNeil
07-05-06, 03:52 PM
Hi mate, just came back from there last week with a few mates.

This time last week the track was covered in snow! :eek: But if you've just watched the Grand Prix you'll see its nice and sunny at the moment.

The track surface is more like a normal road than a smooth race track. The best advice I can give is to ask someone in the car park to take you around first, preferably someone with experence of the circuit.

Heres a few pics I just found on the web of the cars I went over there with last week (there is photographers all round the track so when you get home do a search and you'll be able to see pics of yourself on track).

A few peeps will recognise this car, Mr Karl Rowntree on track with my mates Clio 172 Cup and behind him another mates 2.0 16v (which I just finished fitting the engine into 1 day before we left. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/Karlandco.jpg

Next we have Karl with myself in the passenger seat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/Karl1.jpg

This is the Nova I had just fitted a 2.0 XE lump into (previously a 1.0 and my thanks to Scott Parker for the suspension and wheels. (This car managed to chew 2 wheel bearings whilst we were there! But it went very well and upset a few locals as it looks standard bar the Cav GSi Rims)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/Dave1.jpg

Here is me again in the passenger seat of this awesomely quick supra (we lapped in just just over 8 mins!!!) The reason I got in this car was because the owner was asking about in the car park for some cable ties and I happened to have some so he offered me a lift! Jammy or what!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/MeinSupra3.jpg

And finally one more of Karl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/Karl27.jpg

before he spun off twice.... But I won't say why, hehehe :p I'll let him tell people if he wants to. And for those of you who know him badger him for the answer, its quite funny.

Neil

NovaNeil
07-05-06, 03:58 PM
Oh and I found this pic.

For those of you who know the Ring this pic was taken at the Karasel!!!! This guy was nuts! He was drifting on every single corner there was a photographer..... and there quite a few of them! RESPECT :D lol It was an old man driving it as well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/DriftCarasel.jpg

Neil

Chris
07-05-06, 04:46 PM
looks like a good weekend Neil, I cant wait to get out there now, although need to build the car first.

My advice to the Ring virgin would be the same as what everyone else has said apart from take helmet (it is said that a third of the people killed in cars would of been saved if they had helmets on) and take an empty credit card just incase the worse happens and you have an off, it costs thousands. Also make sure you go to the pistenklaus for a lovely steak and bitburger.

Oh and enjoy

Chris

krobinson
07-05-06, 06:25 PM
and maybe dont do more than one lap without checking your engine fluids ;)

Even tho thats a dig lol Its a brilliant bit of advice!

Keith

Stuart
07-05-06, 06:59 PM
both :D lol

from the appearence of things one lap of the nurburgring is like a 5 lap sesh of most uk tracks which is about the most you really want to do in one sitting without checking things

Chris
07-05-06, 07:16 PM
that all depends how hard you are driving really, it is very difficult to actually do a 'flying' lap there where you are on the limit due to the amount of traffic. I checked my oil twice in the whole 5 days in september and it needed filling both times lol

Chris

pul16v
07-05-06, 07:43 PM
well thanks for the advice everyone il make sure that i take spare oil an parts as mine is also got a xe in it an il be posting a thread later of it so far nearly ready

Stuart
07-05-06, 07:50 PM
depending on how many laps you intend, take a spare set of brake pads... even if you only run std ones to and from the ring and swap to you "good" ones for the ring laps

pul16v
07-05-06, 10:15 PM
gud thinking stuart mite just take a spare set of v6 pads for it then have posted my gte shud be out in it this week then down to the lads at autovaux to get sum ring supplys ? thanks for ya help nice pics neil thanks

karl Rowntree
08-05-06, 07:54 PM
:gay: :gay: Yes its official, i am gay...

As Mr Robson pointed out i had 2 pretty full on spins at the ring last weekend doing approx 60 mph, and 3 near spins.. Luck was on my side though and only damaged the exhaust slightly hitting the curbing backwards and somehow hurt my ancle... For those of you that know me i will tell you individuallylol though i dont really want to shout out why it happened for obvious reasons Neil (remember what happened on the last spin mate;)

So much for a mint trailer queen! Time to run it into the ground lol.

As for advice, please please take it easy on your first trip. The place has a habbit of stinging you big time, if you know the track or not.. Ive done approx 80 laps now and only just working out lines and speeds i am happy with. Do not bother timing your laps until atleast your last day, then dont compare them with your mates it will only end in tears. Just take it real easy then build up day by day;)

As for the weather, you can experience rain/snow/hail and sunshine in one lap and that was last weekend! Dont go fast in the morning, wait until a dry line has appeared but still drive with caution. Even when its bone dry you can hit oil etc..

Overall its an amazing place and it will be the first of many trips for you at a guess.

If you need any help while out there i.e parts or your car brakes and you need help ring TTE Technics on 0049 (0) 26 92 - 93 22 44/45 speak to Marc Ludemann and he will be able to help you, he stores and looks after my car out there;)

P.S i might be over there that weekend if i can get a lift over;)

Karl

dabsy
08-05-06, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the intro. Neil, and also for making the car happen!!

Cheers also to you Neil, Dan, Shorey, Padge, and all the other lads who spent the last few weeks pulling my beautiful 1litre life to bits and turning into a monster!!!

Cheers Karl for the hands on bearing change, otherwise i'd still be in Germany now!!! and a massive big up to Marc at TTE, a true gentleman and budding performance car nut.

All those going for the first time (as I was), take it easy ;-** Don't want to be spending your hard earned cash paying for that cheap looking Armco. Last thing you want to do is end up with the German plod looking over the death of your pride'n'joy, like a certain VW owner was!

Again cheers all and a great time was had by all, just wish I had been in watching distance of Manny spraying the Ring museum with his insides:D

Mark T
09-05-06, 11:54 AM
Right, some really good advice there, when I went in April and had a fantastic time. Prior to going I had done 1000+ laps on the PS2 just to learn racing lines (not cornering speeds and braking zones, this will end up in tears). As a result I knew my way round better than some people who had been there a few times. So I was just as quick as them.

If you don't know the track just drive it like a 'B' road that you dont know, briskly! lol I would'nt bother timing yourself as it will just end up in tears.

Make sure your car is in good serviceable condition (no oil leaks, this could kill a biker) and have some new or very new tyres. Also a decent set of brake pads wouldnt go a miss 1144's or 1155's are good.

For food there is a great italian called pinochios in adenau which do pizzas that you will not be able to finnish, about 14" and for about 4 euros 50!

craig green
09-05-06, 02:47 PM
Think I'll just go to watch.... NOT.

Stuart
09-05-06, 03:12 PM
For food there is a great italian called pinochios in adenau which do pizzas that you will not be able to finnish, about 14" and for about 4 euros 50!

you couldnt finish a 14" pizza by yourself??? you girl :p

srs1
09-05-06, 03:27 PM
send me your email address lad.

i have a detailed list of every corner of the ring with gear's to approach them with.

this is a guide thou, so only do what you are capable of doing.

a dead hero is dead

Mark T
11-05-06, 10:42 AM
you couldnt finish a 14" pizza by yourself??? you girl :p

:p naa I finnished mine mate and started on Chip's too! ;)

Adam Moran
11-05-06, 06:09 PM
Nice one of Jonboy and Olly H tucking in to that famous pizza...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/CIMG2015.jpg

krobinson
11-05-06, 06:20 PM
That pizza was unreal. They are bloody massive!

We had a takeout one night and a pizza did 3 of us.

Keith

Chris
11-05-06, 08:16 PM
Hhhhmmm Bitburger!!!!

Adam Moran
11-05-06, 08:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/novaaj/Ring762.jpg

Chris
11-05-06, 08:30 PM
steak on the rock!!!!

Adam Moran
11-05-06, 09:03 PM
what a quality place that was! Nice one Sabine ;)

Cant wait to go back :D :D

Chris
11-05-06, 09:04 PM
I'll be there in about 9 weeks mate

Chris

NovaNeil
12-05-06, 12:26 PM
Indeed, that was the best Steak i've ever had!!!! Awesome, Karl took us all there as he mentioned that you and him Chris had a nice steak there. :thumb:

Chris
12-05-06, 03:03 PM
oh yeah, best steak I have ever had too

Chris