PDA

View Full Version : amazing, timing belt out 2 teeth

johnny27
06-05-06, 11:26 PM
Been asking a few questions lately about why weber 32/34 carb is'nt working properly on my new 1400 sr.
Today i changed every gasket, diaphram, vacum, jets and pumps in the carb and still no better.
Had a friend over earlier and we decided to check if the timing belt was okay, thinking that it should be fine as the car is idling properly and only dies on full throttle about 3500rpm.
Lined cam and crankshaft pulleys at TDC and looked at the bottom pulley, but it was'nt lining up properly, we first thought that something had been changed in the engine like a different timing belt case or even different cam pulley as the engine seemed to be running well otherwise for it to be out that much, the crankshaft pulley was out around 2 or 3 teeth.
We decided we would try to line it back up, but thinking there was no point as said we presumed something had been changed as it was unlikely the belt would have jumped that much.
we lined the pulley's at their marks, turned the engine by hand a few times to make sure there was no collision and then started the engine, to my astonishment the missfire was gone. But engine is not running 100% so i have to do the dizzy timing and mixture setting tomorrow.
What is really amazing is that how the engine would not bend any valves being 2-3 teeth wrong, and how the engine was
running so well even at that. There must be great valve clearence in the 14nv, i know that the 1600 carb astra engine's have enough clearence even if the cam belt snaps and it won't bend valves, at most it would probaly snap a couple of rockers.
Just thought i'd post this experience because it was the last thing i would of expected, as it was looking very like a carb fault or wrong jetting

Adam
07-05-06, 12:18 AM
You can usually get away with 2 teeth on a 8v without causing damage.
Sounds like you've been lucky.

johnny27
07-05-06, 10:48 AM
the compression was blowing thru the inlet valves at mid revs and causing the mist from the second choke to blow up instead of down the choke, as i looked at it with the filter off.

johnny27
08-05-06, 11:57 AM
nova is running great now, set the timing and the mixture. Have fitted the weber 32/34 with K&N, 4 branch sportex manifold, straight thru enlarged exhaust and she goes like the clapers with the 4.18cwp and the F13 CR gear set. Excellent accerlation.

Stuart
08-05-06, 12:07 PM
most of the small blocks you can "snap" the belt and not really damage anything unless your at silly revs

johnny27
08-05-06, 12:12 PM
good job that. Just could'nt beleive how well the car was running when off 2 teeth

johnny27
08-05-06, 12:13 PM
would start in less than second when turning over in the mornings, would also tick over like a peach