PDA

View Full Version : window tints

gez
11-05-02, 07:55 PM
is it true dat u can only tint da rear windows & the 2 back windows? my car is silver and i want to tint them a blue ish colour (like the glass in m3 mirrors), purley because i want to remove my bk seats & put sum big subs in there place,without sum f****r seeing them and blagging em, people av said its against the law 2 do the front ones any ideas peeps:-/

benharbach
11-05-02, 08:35 PM
rear and back windows can be as dark as you like, front windows can be tinted but they have to have to allow 70% of the light through, commonly known as visible light transmitted!

Will
11-05-02, 09:41 PM
above is tru, so u can lightly tint the fronts, but dont do the windscreen thats just silly now isnt it :P

kpharrop
11-05-02, 10:33 PM
get it done properly though because those stick on tints are awful i bought my nova with black ones in and had to rip them down before i took it home because i couldn't see a thing out of them.

"Kwicksave at night, cruisers delight"

ade
12-05-02, 07:03 PM
Anyone know how bodyshops tint windas? they must use some kind of film or something surely but remove thw windows so they seal properly.
Just curious if anyone knew...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

low-fast-mean-machine
13-05-02, 12:00 AM
Anyone know how much it would cost for two bk windows 'n' da rear 2 be tinted blue, any ideas welcome? b-)

dave.gsi
13-05-02, 02:04 PM
do it yourself,i did mine myself. you hear horror story's of it going pear shaped but its a piece of piss. i'm no pro but i'm not a retard, all you need is a squirty bottle with water and shitloads of fairy in it, then when you put them up they slide about an then just squeegee the water out. job done

http://www.srownersclub.co.uk

ade
13-05-02, 11:20 PM
mate of mine (who has a cossie X-() did his old nova himself in blue - advised to stop the edge4s fcukin up get windows out of car, apply (as per slammed sr's method), when dry apply thin layer of nail varnish to seal around the edges - didnt specify colour - come to think of it may have been nail varnish remover? cant remember. Anyway, once dry put windows back in - rubber holds the tints in place anyway.

Ade

kpharrop
14-05-02, 10:58 AM
thats a big job though isn't it? taking out the windows?

"Kwicksave at night, cruisers delight"

ade
14-05-02, 01:27 PM
probably but if u want it done properly at half the cost of a pro shop better taking em out I guess - then I've never done it so dunno...but seems to make sense

burney
14-05-02, 11:01 PM
The haynes guide tells you exactly how to take out the rear windows and how to put them back. You dont even need special tools but it is given a "4 spanner" rating so it might be a bit hard. Im doing mine soon so ill keep you posted. :)

Rich Dale
20-05-02, 02:44 AM
I self-tinted the windows on my 'tina.....I left the windows in though and it was a fuck-up!

If I was going to do it again though, I'd definitely remove the windows.....once that's done, applying the film is piss easy.

I fucked it up 'cos I couldn't cut the pieces to size correctly with the glass still in the car, so I ended up with gaps around the edges!

The rear window can be a pain due to it's curvature....I did the 'tina rear one in three pieces to get it right!
Nova rear one is quite flat though so it might not be a problem.

millsey
31-05-02, 12:14 PM
You can get a wicked kit from demon tweeks catalogue with the kit already cut for your windows, also can choose diffrent colours etc for back and front. im getting dark smoke for the back and light smoke for the front.

red_devil
18-06-02, 11:09 AM
Pro Tint in sheffield quoted me ?250 for red tints for the rear of the car... he said he would put it on the front sides but would have to get me to sign a disclaimer about it not being their fault if i got nicked.....

Can't believe how expensive it is for someone just to put film on your windows... i'm spending the cash on flushing my Evo 5 vent in

Cjscooby
20-06-02, 04:53 PM
My brother has Tinted about 5 cars now all with the Windows in the Car and with the rolls of defender tint but he has just done mine with the Pre-cut tint from demon tweaks and it has gone really well looks like a pro has done it and only cost me about 38 quid for the tint and the price of a box of fags for my bro :lol: the tint is cut excatly the same size as the windows when they are in the car but you get the rear window in 2 strips but it leaver about a 3 inch gap in the middle for the rear view mirror so you can see but i just used some of the spare tint and added a strip and it looks the DB's now

Sid
20-06-02, 05:40 PM
Can get it done professionally for you, approximately ?200.

I'll be getting mine done soon, light smoke all round. Having it blacked out seems to gangst-ish, and silly (but not always)

?Marty?
21-06-02, 02:09 AM
You can get windows tinted by the pros for around ?170. And they do the back window in one piece.

Also, tell them you want it legal (make sure you can prove that you specified this) and if you're ever in trouble with the police (for the tints), then you can get the people who fitted it to cover your costs (ie fine and etc). Unless the law regarding tints changes after the work is carried out.

burney
22-06-02, 11:25 PM
how easy is it to get the back windas out of a nova cos hanes makes it look piss but my prick of a stepdad said i will neva get um back in again :x [/code]