PDA

View Full Version : un-removable locking nuts!

-tucny-
04-05-06, 08:42 AM
i bought a new car and wasnt passed the key for the locking nuts, however with all the service history was a card with the key No. on it. so i went to vauxhall and ordered a new one as the previous owner said he didnt have it. when the key arrived it was totally different and now i cant get the things off.

they look a bit like vauxhall ones or McGard ones with the star/flower shape in them. i cant hit a socket on them as there is a coller that spins around them and iv already set to with a drill and a few sharp bits which have bearly left a mark on them. i took the car to a few local tyre centres and their locking nut remover couldnt remove them because of the spinning coller.

am i stuffed or is there a way to remove them??

srs1
04-05-06, 08:55 AM
hammer and a chisel.

catch the edge of the locking nut and keep going untill it comes off.

or

go to the vauxhall dealership and ask a garage mechanic to remove it. i bet they have a master key for all locking nuts

Gunzi
04-05-06, 09:14 AM
Hammer and Chisel (blunt is better than sharp) or just keep banging on smaller and smaller sockets, eventually you'll get down to the nut.

Failing both of these just drill the buggers out. I've done this as a last resort when stripping my old nova, one fo the wheel nuts just wouldn't buidge. It takes time but you'll get there in the end!

novabri
04-05-06, 11:07 AM
i had had this problem and i welded and old nut onto the locking nut and took it off with a ratchet worked ok for me.

valverguy
04-05-06, 11:09 AM
get a socket just a bit tighter than the nut your trying to get off and then hammer it on over the locking nut then use ur ratchet and remove it i did this on my locking nuts last year and it worked a treat

srs1
04-05-06, 11:14 AM
alternatively go to machine mart and buy those threaded nuts removing tool.

it cuts into the lnut with no thread left, it might work on this also

Stuart
04-05-06, 11:28 AM
or erm well erm slacken off the other 3 bolts and do some short burst of acceleartion..... of corse i wouldtn recomend that...

-tucny-
04-05-06, 03:06 PM
i cant knock a socket over the top as the socket will grip the spinning coller and just turn round. i have a stud extractor set but as i said iv spent ages drilling with sharp bits and it barley left a mark on the thing.

as for the chisel, im going to give it a go, but the nuts are quite far in the alloy.

if that fails, stuarts plan will get tested!

Stuart
04-05-06, 03:18 PM
how about a ncie sharp narrow cold chisel and take off the spinning collet ;)

Ste L
04-05-06, 03:33 PM
what stu said, i had to do that when i misplaced my locking nuts, then hammered a socket over them, and they came off easy enough

db_1.2
04-05-06, 04:14 PM
failing all of the suggestions like my locking wheel nuts did! weld a closed end spanner onto it, infact weld anything you want on it!, it wont slip then!

jamin
04-05-06, 04:19 PM
If you went to a main dealer all they could do if nothing fitted is weld something onto the head, so you might aswell do that. They might have to tig weld not mig weld as you might not be able to get the mig head in there.

Timmy
04-05-06, 04:20 PM
i had the same locking wheel nuts on mine, use a 15mm or 16mm socket and a club hammer hit it f**ing hard it will bend and muller the socket on tight and then a big brase bar and off they come !!!

Timmy
04-05-06, 04:20 PM
i had the same locking wheel nuts on mine, use a 15mm or 16mm socket and a club hammer hit it f**ing hard it will bend and muller the socket on tight and then a big brase bar and off they come !!!, the moveing ring will just help holf the socet in place, star at an angle and then smash it on stright after its started biteing on the nut

db_1.2
04-05-06, 04:31 PM
Lol i hit mine hard as f*ck! but it still slipped im tellin you i beat the sh*t out of that lil bliter! but in the end i had to go with the weld option, maybe its possible to hit a socket on it sometimes, probably better with imperial too, but mine was proper seized in there, lets put it this way when i tried getting the reast of the studs off i was lifting the wheel off the ground, and moving the back wheel with the hand brake on whilst the car was on the floor!

Jack
04-05-06, 04:47 PM
or erm well erm slacken off the other 3 bolts and do some short burst of acceleartion..... of corse i wouldtn recomend that...
Sounds like the Phil Sutton approach lol