PDA

View Full Version : Whats my best option for my handling

leebo
03-05-06, 08:23 PM
Hey, whis is better, 15 alloys or sr rims? i know the alloys will have more weight but do will the wider tyers give better grip. i know the logical thinkin is that wider rubber the better the handling but is it always the case? the car is lowered 60 and a front anyroll bar can be put on if it will benifit.

cheers lee

Philsutton
03-05-06, 08:40 PM
15s i would say, the sr stuff normally only has bike tyres on

leebo
03-05-06, 09:05 PM
cheers, was sorta thinkin that. any recomendations some light 15" wheels as the ones i have are rite and heavy and the lighter the better i quess

johnny27
03-05-06, 09:14 PM
the lighter one's won't last too long on our roads in NI

leebo
03-05-06, 09:29 PM
thats also true lol

im hopin to get my little 13sr up to about 85bhp so i i dont really want to loose to many horses in heavy wheels lol

Jack
03-05-06, 09:39 PM
You could get larger steel wheels if you want the benefits of the 15" rim. Alternatively lightweight alloys would compare well on weight... but rather expensive...

Lee
03-05-06, 09:46 PM
you'll also be able to fit bigger brakes when your callipers ultimately seize up! lol

Ben_1981
03-05-06, 09:47 PM
Nice set of alloys 195/45 15 about the same size as the 14" vaux 3 spokes with standard tyres i think

leebo
03-05-06, 10:00 PM
i prob just stick with the 15s i have then i will be stickin front and rear braces on and a rear anti roll bar. i hear ones sayin that the front antiroll bar aint any good but is there any reason this?

SuperNova!
03-05-06, 10:22 PM
I would go for 14s mate,

The wider the tyre doesnt necessarily mean the most grip because:

As the tyre gets wider in order to create more grip you need weight pressing down on the tyre/road to give pressure to the road surface, in order to gain the best results, and to make the tyre grip to the road surface, Novas are light in most cases and unless you have a XE up front or 150bhp and over, you may then need 195s but 185/50/14 is also a very good size and I would recommend them.

Also if you dont have enough pressure on the tyre road then in the rain there can also be issues with the tyre not being able to get rid of the water fast enough and cause aqua plaining,

185/50/14s are also -15mm and -2.7% smaller than 195/45/15s so you would also gain in acceleration,

There is also the phenonemum of unsprung weight but I bet ive bored you all enough by now!

Hope this helps anyway :thumb:

Jack
03-05-06, 10:48 PM
i prob just stick with the 15s i have then i will be stickin front and rear braces on and a rear anti roll bar. i hear ones sayin that the front antiroll bar aint any good but is there any reason this?
Usually people with quite solid suspension setups ditch the ARB. Its handy to have a little bit of body roll on corners to stop the car from skipping round and loosing traction.

leebo
03-05-06, 11:46 PM
well i can try it with and without and see what happenes

I would go for 14s mate,

The wider the tyre doesnt necessarily mean the most grip because:

As the tyre gets wider in order to create more grip you need weight pressing down on the tyre/road to give pressure to the road surface, in order to gain the best results, and to make the tyre grip to the road surface, Novas are light in most cases and unless you have a XE up front or 150bhp and over, you may then need 195s but 185/50/14 is also a very good size and I would recommend them.

Also if you dont have enough pressure on the tyre road then in the rain there can also be issues with the tyre not being able to get rid of the water fast enough and cause aqua plaining,

185/50/14s are also -15mm and -2.7% smaller than 195/45/15s so you would also gain in acceleration,

There is also the phenonemum of unsprung weight but I bet ive bored you all enough by now!

Hope this helps anyway :thumb:

that was educational at the least lol na it made sence cheers

cheers all

BRoadGhost
04-05-06, 12:16 PM
Go for 185/45 on a 15" wheel.

SuperNova!
04-05-06, 10:04 PM
They do make 185 45 15 according to mytyres.co.uk but only one make and nangkang isnt the best to say the least, You will have a hard time finding that size in a good make. :)

Gunzi
05-05-06, 12:08 PM
My old E16SE had 195/45/R15 Toyo T1-Rs combined with Bilstein yellow shocks and eibach springs. I couldn't fault it, the car was so responsive and so controlable, with lots of feedback thru the steering wheel.
Over steer could be controlled with ease and it had relatively little understeer, unless I was really asking a lot of it!

I found the handling to be better on my 15" Mo's than my 14" GSi rims with Toyo T1-S 185/55/R14s on.

dannyb
05-05-06, 12:40 PM
GSi rims are only 5j as opposed to 5.5j of Cav steels, although tyes are more expensive for 14" wheels generally (they get cheap at 185/60 and above). 185 50 14s are an almightly expensive tyre for what you get.
15x6" wheels are a good option for a wide range of tyres which are cheap (compare the price of 195 50s against 195 45s). Anything can be done, it all comes down to cost though.
As for the front ARB, I run s**tty standard suspension with front ARB and it tightens it up well, although if you have a SR it should have a front ARB as standard. If you get a suspension kit, ditch the bar.

johnny27
05-05-06, 01:58 PM
you'll prob say no, but weller wheels are lightweight steel, and come in white, silver and black.
Some of their wheels look terrific, with nice deep dishes. They are mostly old school style which i think would suit a nova in white
Problem is you might have a problem with getting the right offset, but i think that weller wheels can make you a custom size and offset. Its a pitty you need close to et49 cause the white weller's look good with a mad offset and deep dish. Have a look on their website, the wheels are alot lighter than most alloys and a very strong (for N.Ireland lol) They are usually used for competition because of that.
As i said they look good if you like old skool, although i'm not sure how well they would look on a GSi style or mk2 style nova, but i imagine they would look good on a mk1. Prob more of a rally look these wheels would give.