PDA

View Full Version : Nova C20xe Sump Gasket Replacement..help!!

paulcornwall
02-05-06, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone, my names Paul and this is my first post. Recently bought a Nova C20XE redtop nova but theres a leak from the sump gasket. Today i went down to my local autofactors to pick up a new gasket. After taking off the manifold to drop the sump there seems to be 2 gaskets sealing the sump?? Sandwiched between then a metal gasket, does this seem correct to you??? if so do i need sealant as well and another identical gasket lie the one i've just bought, please help as the nova is in bits at the mo.:cry:

lee02
02-05-06, 11:14 PM
not sure i think it has 2 identical gaskets with the metal plates sandwiched between them

R1CH
02-05-06, 11:23 PM
Yeah its got 2 identical gaskets, so you'll need to buy another get your self some sealant as well (universal blue / RTV / ect...)
Make sure all the faces are clean then apply a small amount of sealant to the bottom of the block, baffle plate & sump, don't go mad with it or it will end up ousing out when you tighten it all up and then you'll have bits of sealent floating around in your oil ready to block up your pick up pipe !!
I'd run a tap thru all the bolt holes in the block as well as i found mine had been blocked by old oil / dirt / sealent and wasn't letting you tighten the bolts fully, then just go round the bolts and tighten them all evenly (you've usually gotta go round them all 5 - 6 times !)

Good luck !!

Rich

paulcornwall
02-05-06, 11:49 PM
thanks guys, looks like another day roling around in oil and dirt:wtf:

craig green
03-05-06, 09:32 AM
Seal all the edges of the gaskets & baffle plate. I'd strongly recommend that you dont refill with oil for a day or so to let the sealant cure. If the bolts arent tight enough or whatever, it'll all have to come off again.

I used a tube of sealer from Toolstation. ?3. Loads left.

Ste L
03-05-06, 12:18 PM
better of using an 8v or ecotec sump gasket, they are a better design

Stuart
03-05-06, 01:14 PM
also ive heard that the sump bolts loosen off themselves.. so you could put a medium strenght thread lock on the bolts...