PDA

View Full Version : Seized top mount bolt (fr sus)

craig green
02-05-06, 12:56 PM
Tried to lower the Nova yesterday & cant get the seized top mount bolt to move. The top of the damper piston has spanner flats on that have rusted & lost the edges & the big nut in the middle is seized solid.

its the std GM stuff from the factory. Any ideas on shifting it. Ive soaked in WD since yesterday.

How about an air gun?? Shock it off perhaps...will that hurt the rubber top mounts??

CG

bump
02-05-06, 01:07 PM
Alright mate,

I'd say to try welding a sacroficial (sp) socket to it and shift it that way, but then again you know my love of welding.

Cheers

Bump

Lee
02-05-06, 01:15 PM
Air guns a good option. Id put new top mounts on it anyway while your at it, saves a job when they decide to die in typical vauxhall fashion while you have the springs off anyway.

If your swapping the struts as well, just grip the shaft with some moleys.!

craig green
02-05-06, 03:35 PM
Air guns a good option. Id put new top mounts on it anyway while your at it, saves a job when they decide to die in typical vauxhall fashion while you have the springs off anyway.

If your swapping the struts as well, just grip the shaft with some moleys.!

tried grippin the shaft with mole grips, still turns.

The car is only a runabout so new top mounts arent an option really unless I discard the entire srtrut as a spare & get new top mounts to keep. Trouble is my GSi has all new top mounts on.

At the moment its skyridin with the rear springs in. Damn!

Lee
02-05-06, 07:51 PM
tried grippin the shaft with mole grips, still turns.

The car is only a runabout so new top mounts arent an option really unless I discard the entire srtrut as a spare & get new top mounts to keep. Trouble is my GSi has all new top mounts on.

At the moment its skyridin with the rear springs in. Damn!

In that case, i hope you grabbed them right at the top, and have sufficient bump stops or its bye bye seals.!

Might be worth trying a scrappers. Nova or corsa struts shouldt be too much?

mowgli
02-05-06, 08:16 PM
you could try to split the nut with a chisel, or by using small drills.
Oxy Acetylene would be a bit harsh.
When I had one that was tight, I butchered a ring spanner to fit..
maybe just get one from a scrapper & save time & injuries

craig green
03-05-06, 09:14 AM
All sorted now. Its amazing how easy it can be with the right tools.

Bottlethroddy. I did grip the damper right at the top of the piston, But its in the bin now!!

CG