PDA

View Full Version : Calling all GTE owners past and present.....oh and those in the know!

kir_m
01-05-06, 08:16 PM
Hi, I am having big problems with my beloved Nova GTE. I'll be driving along and it will be like i have taken my foot off the gas even though my foot will be on the floor. It cuts out at low revs and wont go above 50 mph. Its the third time its happened now, i have replaced the fuel filter and the temperature sensor thing in the ecu (i dunno what its called, the one that tells the i system that the engine is cold or hot etc). If you leave it running for ages and rev it loads, after using up loads of petrol, it seems to run itself out of the system, but then comes back about 500 miles later. I have been told loads of different things by people who are meant to know, but i wondered if anyone had experienced the same and how they managed to solve it.

PLEASE HELP ME I LOVE MY CAR AND DONT WANNA GO BACK TO MY SH*TTY 5DR 1.4!

Kirsty x

Will F
02-05-06, 08:53 AM
Try the fuel pump relay....

craig green
02-05-06, 09:51 AM
its clipped to the bulkhead next to wiper motor. Could well be it!

kir_m
02-05-06, 11:54 PM
my dad has checked it and says its ok, he thinks its something to do with the ecu, what do you think??

lee02
03-05-06, 12:25 AM
i had trouble like that all i did was disconnect the ecu and plug it back in that seemed to work

craig green
03-05-06, 03:39 PM
Ive found & seem to hear that the ign module on the coil can go. Did on mine, also check all the little vacuum lines have no leaks & the inlet trunking aswell.

My GSi threw a fit a few yrs back, slowly lost power until it could only crawl in 2nd gear. Then wouldnt start. After waiting 2 hrs for AA to arrive. It started, spluttered & was rough for a bit, then I drove it home & was fine in the morning.
I gave it a proper hammering the next day & it was fine after that!

Will F
05-05-06, 03:24 PM
It could be intermittent though...

When it happens, check to see if the engine management light comes on with the ignition (like it should) if it doesnt. its teh FPR

craig green
05-05-06, 04:45 PM
Ive got a spare fuel rail (with FPR) if you need one.

Info & knowledge on the Bosch L-Jetronic is pretty scarce, I found. A lot of mechanics & garages know feck all about GTE's when they go wrong.

Its the only Vaux to use that management I think.

CG

Will F
05-05-06, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I meant FUEL PUMP RELAY not fuel pressure reg! ;)

kir_m
06-05-06, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Its not the fuel pump relay, my dad has checked it and says its fine. I am sending the ECU off to be tested and recon next week, so fingers crossed.....