PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank in wheel well. Opinions please.

nathan.
29-04-06, 09:18 PM
Basically ive got a lightweight fuel tank that sits nicely in the wheel well.
I'm abit unsure on whether i should fit it or not.

Will fitting this tank and removing the original tank mess up the weight balance/handling at all? ie. poor centre of gravity

should i leave the original tank in?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/nathan1600/STA40019.jpg

Nathan

johnny27
29-04-06, 09:21 PM
unless your intending it for motorsport i.e rallying, there is'nt much point in relocating the fuel tank.

nathan.
29-04-06, 09:23 PM
unless your intending it for motorsport i.e rallying, there is'nt much point in relocating the fuel tank.

track day car. Lighter tank= less weight

dan23
29-04-06, 09:43 PM
theres one on roybacer with fuel tank in wheel well its in the work in progress forum look for the thread thats about 17 pages long

Stuart
29-04-06, 10:15 PM
nath have a quick think about it ;)....the tank might sawve ohhhh 1Kg.. then factor in the fill of fuel thats going to be there in either case lol naff all difference really.

id say do it as the surge control is probably better in that tank than the std nova one so for track use its better.

nathan.
29-04-06, 10:20 PM
nath have a quick think about it ;)....the tank might sawve ohhhh 1Kg.. then factor in the fill of fuel thats going to be there in either case lol naff all difference really.

id say do it as the surge control is probably better in that tank than the std nova one so for track use its better.

thanks stu.:thumb:
not sure what the weight differences are but it feels very light.lol
it has no baffles/foam inside but does have a built in swirl pot.

Stuart
29-04-06, 10:34 PM
foam it ;)

Ste L
30-04-06, 02:16 PM
foam it ;)

how do you do than, and what does it acctually do?

womble sri
30-04-06, 02:24 PM
surely it would be better for weight distribution?

Adam
30-04-06, 02:46 PM
Just hope nothing hits into the back of you, and splits the tank ;)

Stuart
30-04-06, 07:21 PM
you van get a special foam that goes in the fuel tank and the fuel essentially absorbs into it and slows down the surge etc... its pricey though

mowgli
01-05-06, 11:12 AM
might sound crap, but why not cut it in half horizontally & fit it over the spare with some dummy pipes because it will still look great.
filling it at most petrol stations will probably break the rules of their licence & make the car smell.
also removing the original tank could affect the air flow under the back affecting the handling.