PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converters bad for the environment?

Jack
29-04-06, 01:28 PM
Hmm...

"It's like, clean is not green," (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question66.htm&url=http://www.junkscience.com/news2/catalyt.htm)

BigStan
29-04-06, 01:41 PM
Blimey, thats quite interesting. So in a funny way keeping these beauties on the road is doing our bit for the envioronment ! Long Live The Nova !!! :thumb:

mikey14sr
29-04-06, 01:44 PM
All the more reason to make N20 super-cheap so we can all burn it in our engines!!!!!!!!!

dannyb
29-04-06, 01:45 PM
"sometimes rearrange the nitrogen-oxygen compounds to form nitrous oxide, known as laughing gas. And nitrous oxide is a potent greenhouse gas, more than 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide"

Hence the reason we should all be nitrousing our Novas in the search for a few more horses, we would be using this harmful gas in a way that is beneficial to the rest of the planet.

BigStan
29-04-06, 01:47 PM
Amen to that ! Petrol going sky high again, its 95.9p in my area !

Jack
29-04-06, 02:47 PM
Amen to that ! Petrol going sky high again, its 95.9p in my area !
Thats cheap, SUL is 99.9 here :(

Still, not as bad as BP Super Duper UL 102 Ron - ?2.42 a litre :wtf:

dannyb
29-04-06, 03:30 PM
97.9 a litre for unleaded in Bognor Regis. Tesco had to put a new petrol station sign up so they could sell their 99 octane super for 102.9 a litre! Where do you get 102 octane Razorjack, is it a pump fuel or do you have to order it from BP?!

Philsutton
29-04-06, 04:28 PM
yawn at global warming, they need to start looking at the bigger picture other than blaming cars for everything

bump
29-04-06, 10:20 PM
Well, biodiesel could be used for trains, vans, lorrys and busses with no problem as well as for aggricultural use. But the tax levied on it makes it more expensive than mineral diesel. Labour calling itself green :wtf: How can these claims be stuck to when biodiesel is carbon neutral?

Stuart
29-04-06, 10:26 PM
hmmmmmm i was always aware that the cats conveted is to NitrogeN Ozide, not nitrous.. otherwise everyone would have recired the exhaust back into the engine after the cat and not before it...

as phil says though, its the bigger picture that needs sorting. Yes cars are bad, but cattle produce more "greenhouse" emissions than cars. Also the developing 3rd world countries are now telling G8 etc to feck off as its their turn to have some fun and since all the G8 people had their fun 20 years ago it means that the 3rd worlders feel they are owed it etc. And quite right too!

i quite like the warmer summers and harsher winters from this GW lol

bump
29-04-06, 10:29 PM
I've read somewhere that global warming will redirect the gulf stream (one theory at least), giving us a climate comparable to other countries on the same latitude. Maybe decent snowboarding in the UK at last!

Stuart
29-04-06, 10:30 PM
Well, biodiesel could be used for trains, vans, lorrys and busses with no problem as well as for aggricultural use. But the tax levied on it makes it more expensive than mineral diesel. Labour calling itself green :wtf: How can these claims be stuck to when biodiesel is carbon neutral?

BD isnt quite carbon neutral, but its significantly better than std diesel. Bet you also have to bear in mind that if the demand for rapeseed oil increased then the cost would go up as there would be a lack of it due to setaside regs etc and also the govt would cotton on and whip us for burning the stuff lol, basically your damned if you do and your damned if you dont. and the moment the govt realises that taxing stuff because its popluar is a stupid idea the better. If you have a green solution you should be praised and have it rolled out to the masses with cheap/easy access rather than charging a premium for it. Tescos used to sell 10% biodiesl but it was taxed higher! so no one purchased it, now its gone in favor of 99ron petrol lmao

Stuart
29-04-06, 10:32 PM
I've read somewhere that global warming will redirect the gulf stream (one theory at least), giving us a climate comparable to other countries on the same latitude. Maybe decent snowboarding in the UK at last!

"the day after tomorrow" film perchance? lol

bump
29-04-06, 10:34 PM
"the day after tomorrow" film perchance? lol

I think that it was in The Observer, or could have been New Internationalist.

Jack
30-04-06, 12:03 AM
Thats true. The Gulf Stream - which keeps us warm - will be diverted and our country will actually get a darned sight colder. Bear in mind London is almost on the same latitude as Moscow...

Of course all the global warming due to human action could all be crap; the Earth does go through a cycle of cooling and warming...

97.9 a litre for unleaded in Bognor Regis. Tesco had to put a new petrol station sign up so they could sell their 99 octane super for 102.9 a litre! Where do you get 102 octane Razorjack, is it a pump fuel or do you have to order it from BP?!
Currently being trialled by BP at 9 filling stations, if internet talk is to be believed. Apaprently you have to press a button on the nozzle to confirm you want the fuel and they're very twitchy about how much you buy!

Jack
30-04-06, 12:07 AM
as phil says though, its the bigger picture that needs sorting. Yes cars are bad, but cattle produce more "greenhouse" emissions than cars.
My old science teacher used to blame global warming on cows farting and sheep burping lol

Sure I read somewhere that a field of cows produce such a quantity of methane in week that the environmental poo-llution (sorry bad pun) was equivalent to the carbon dioxide produced a working day of London traffic

Stuart
30-04-06, 08:25 AM
its something along those lines yes.

the 102 octane stuff is pointless for most cars about bar imports, but usually the imports will have been de tuend for uk fuel.... also running higher octane without setting the vehicle up for it will lose you power as the exhaust gas will be hotter due to the slower burn which gives the effect of retardign the ign ;)

dannyb
30-04-06, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info Stuart and Razor. On the issue of Global warming, surely they should penalise the air lines more as they put out a huge amount of pollution in comparison to cars. And all volcanos should be fitted with a catalytic conveter as when they erupt they put out 'harmful' emissions probably comparable to years worth of car use. Total Vaux mag had a feature on bioethanol fuel which is 104 octane (!) which is cleaner. The use of sugar beet or grain for this could put many farmers in this country back into business if they were given the correct EU subsidy incentive, instead of going down the pan due to BSE stigma, foot and mouth etc...

Philsutton
30-04-06, 12:01 PM
somethings to think about,

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=192

how is this possible? maybe the martians need to start using electric cars instead. Or tax them some more in order to save the planet.

http://pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/02/27/6900064_Magnet_Pole_Shift/

This is under way at the moment and will effect the amount of the suns radiation that enters the atmosphere, as the magnetic field is the one thing protecting us.

Anyway have fun reading, its funny how these things are never meantioned instead they use false excuses to take money off us all.