PDA

View Full Version : reasons why carb with cat

johnny27
29-04-06, 11:12 AM
Why do ppl tell you that you can't run a carb with a cat converter? Does it stuff up the cat or does the engine just not run properly? Just intrersted to find ou

Jack
29-04-06, 01:17 PM
The ECU uses an oxygen sensor just ahead of the Catalytic Converter to measure how much oxygen is in the exhaust gases - the Cat needs a certain amount of oxygen to allow the oxidization components to function. Using the oxygen sensor, the ECU can modify the air-fuel mixture to adjust the oxygen level in the exhaust gases and keep the Cat working properly.

Carb engines generally don't have ECU's; so there is no electrical control mechanism to manage the air-fuel mix and oxygen in the exhaust gases. Without this, the Cat could easily get damaged.

This (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm) page explains it quite well, and how the Cat functions.

Adam
29-04-06, 04:35 PM
A carb engine would kill a cat in no time.

johnny27
29-04-06, 04:59 PM
great stuff thanks lads. I thought it may have also stoped a carbed engine from running properly also.

Ste L
30-04-06, 02:03 PM
why would you want one anyway, they decrease power output

Jack
30-04-06, 03:25 PM
To pass the emissions part of the MOT :p

But then if the car wasn't designed to have one then it shouldn't really be going through the Cat test

johnny27
30-04-06, 05:50 PM
i bought a nova which was previous 1.2i. Then the previous owner fitted a 14nv sr engine, but did'nt use the sr exhaust manifold, downpipes or system, so he left the cat on the car. I Removed whole exhaust yesterday, and fitted a sportex 4-1 manifold, and custom straight thru exhaust, which i yet have to get a silencer for.

Adam
30-04-06, 06:01 PM
You wont need a cat
if you have a old 14nv engine fitted.

johnny27
30-04-06, 09:27 PM
its a carb fuelled nv, so i guess it never requires a cat by law.

Jack
30-04-06, 09:39 PM
Yup. As its a carb engine, its probably pre-91 - if the engine has been swapped, the emissions test goes by whichever is the oldest between the car or engine. So for example in your case, putting a 1991 SR engine into a 1993 car - the emissions test is run for a 1991 vehicle.