PDA

View Full Version : questions about cav shifter

dan23
28-04-06, 05:07 PM
when the shifter is removed from the cav do you just get the vertical part (the part with gear knob on)or do you get the horizontal rod too ? if so were does this rod mount to on cav what tols are needed to remove it .

or does the horizontal part already come off the nova i am confused wether the horizontal rod is orginal nova part that is modded to fit the cav shifter or if it comes with the cav shifter an you have to fit it to nova :eek:

R1CH
28-04-06, 06:33 PM
This is what you'll get out of the Cav ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00408.jpg

but on the Cav it has an S shaped bend at the end of the rod, yuo've gotta chop this off, i chopped the origional Nova shifter up & used the rod off it to weld to the Cav shifter, its gotta be straight to fit in the Nova.
Can't remember how it came out of the Cav !

Rich

dan23
28-04-06, 06:58 PM
where abouts on the cav does it connect to ?

R1CH
28-04-06, 07:06 PM
.... the gear linkage !!
not sure if it connects in the engine bay or under the centre console, not a difficult job to remove tho.

Rich

dan23
28-04-06, 08:38 PM
can some one explain how you take the linkage off the nova an off the cav an an were does the linkage mount to ?i looked in haynes the pic isnt clear it looks as if the nova linkage mounts near the starter? is this same on cav?
haynes also says prise off the ball socket ends off the ball studs on the levers ,what does that mean ??

dan23
28-04-06, 08:41 PM
can calibra shifter be used or just the cav one?will any cav one work are they all same?

david dixon
29-04-06, 12:55 AM
i have a question, is it best to mate that to a nova rod that fits to the linkage? and is it coming straight out of its original gap in the bulk head?

dan23
29-04-06, 10:28 AM
ye thats what ric666 did cut off of the s shaped part of the cav linkage an weld it to the straight part of the nova one

Stuart
29-04-06, 11:01 AM
dan, go and buy a sodding haynes manual... it covers removal of the linkage etc..

nova~norm
29-04-06, 12:23 PM
read all posts stuart

Stuart
29-04-06, 05:41 PM
so reading the words isnt an option then? lol rather than looking at the bad pictures

dan23
29-04-06, 07:03 PM
i ve sorted now ,i did read the haynes ,the bit that said pull the ball joints of the ball sockets ,made me think WTF,but when you look at car its dead easy ,i think haynes should re write it saying pull the linkage off of the doofer that connects it to gear box i would understand that betterlol

thanks for the replys an pics etc