PDA

View Full Version : Concentric top mounts problems

Jonlem
25-04-06, 08:12 PM
I have just recieved the 2 /14 springs i needed to get some suspension back on my mates car and would you believe it they are too long ! typical

Anyway I thought whilst I was mocking them up I would try on the Concentric top mounts that will be fitted.

For those of you that aren't aware the top mounts have the man plate with bearing which sits on top of a sleeve that sits over the shaft of the damper, on my spax rsx the sleeve sat snug on the shaft still allowing the adjuster nut to sit high enough to adjust it from in the engine bay once installed.

On the AVO's I have come accross 2 problems already, towards the top of the damper rod the rod tapers slightly, when u fit the sleeve for the top mounts it sits about an inch from the largest part of the rod which allows the top spring cup to move around as its sits on the wrong part of the rod, rather than explain this any worse there are some pics below, maybe some one can make some sense of it or has had these troubles before

Also WTF do spax coilovers haev a one off ID on the spring platforms ? no aftermarket spring I have brought will fit my old spax due to this problem, If I could get round that then I would of just swapped my spax for these avo's :roll:

Jonlem
25-04-06, 08:12 PM
pics to follow

krobinson
26-04-06, 08:11 PM
pics?

dan16v
26-04-06, 10:21 PM
are you on coil overs i take it? if you are how come you got concentric and not eccentric?

j1400
27-04-06, 09:13 AM
Get some calipers o the shaft to mesure the taper, only other suggestion is to heat the the lower shim so that it fits, but then it's a sod to get off again, or taketi to amachione shop and have some tapered ones made up to suit. When I had mine I had to have the thread section made up as the thread was a crazy pitch like 3 not 1.5 :s good luck, sure it's nothing major.

Gaz are the future.

craig green
27-04-06, 12:35 PM
Gaz are the future.

You have GAZ?? How are they??

Jonlem
27-04-06, 04:57 PM
my memory card reader has gone tits up so no pics as of yet .

They will be changed for eccentric mounts but as its stands if these dont fit then neither will eccentric ones as they both use the same sleeve etc.

Got a guy who said he'll quite happily take a look and knowing him he'll sort something but still a bit irritated that they need modifying to suit avo's.

Its not for my car anyway but its just another thing I could do without having to get sorted right now, although its far from being priority right now.

If teh springs would fit my old spax coilovers then I would slam then on just to get it to essex for its mapping session infact I might just do that and leave it on 175 lb springs for now

Once I have pics I'll post them, thanks j1400 for that advice :)