PDA

View Full Version : blinged parcel shelf...

sickrabbit
24-04-06, 06:45 PM
Sometime back I saw a stunning mdf - covered -with chequer plate - parcel shelf on here. Its not a problem on getting the parcel shelf sorted except on what to use as "anchor bars" ( the location bars which sit tight on the rear quarters ) i,d be grateful for ideas peeps .
Cheers.

dannyb
24-04-06, 07:22 PM
I have been looking at the shelf in my room here and trying to work out how to do it....You could cut the MDF shelf and take a router to it so it is recessed around the bottom. The bars can fabricated from lengths of dowel located by drilling into the shelf (or blocks that hang down if the shelf isnt deep enough) The other option is to buy some 6/7mm studding from B&Q and locate this into the side instead of dowel. This will be quite a costly option and will weight well over the 2.2kg of the original shelfs weight. Your boot lifters will need to be upgraded. Perhaps buy any old shelf and try covering it with your chequer plate using the type of gunky adhesive that 14 years old sniff. Thats what I used on grey acoustic carpet and it hasn't come off in two years of sunlight/heat exposure (can't tell you the manufacturer though)

sickrabbit
24-04-06, 08:44 PM
Gunky adhesive -pmsl...yeah the wieght is a concern...i,ve got the vynal plate stuff ordered so it,ll cover the shelf when it arrives....just got to pack out or level the area the where the 6x9s used to sit , before covering and replacing em.....

off to rob a teen air head .

Welsh Dan
24-04-06, 09:06 PM
If the weight is a concern, why not use the lookalike stuff from homebase/b&q?

sickrabbit
24-04-06, 09:23 PM
theres enuff mdf in the boot as it is ...sheet of it to support the subs ,and the sub boxes, so i,ll give the recover a try...as for glue - bostik original...

dannyb
25-04-06, 11:41 AM
is the chequer plate plastic or metal? is it possible to keep the original contours of the shelf by folding the stuff over? If is plastic perhaps heat it a bit beforehand

sickrabbit
25-04-06, 04:53 PM
The plate is vynal , so maybe careful heating would be an option...I,ll have to wait till its delivered .

sickrabbit
29-04-06, 12:09 PM
jobs done...and it doesnt look too bad either , strange thing is when looking thru the rear mirror , the relection on the glass is well strange...:tard:

Welsh Dan
29-04-06, 12:19 PM
Pics?

sickrabbit
29-04-06, 12:39 PM
will try later ...must get my cam back.
just slapped a sheet of thin mdf on top , ( glued with bostik impact adhesive ) and then the plate on top of that.
Car stinks like a skinhead party........must get some airfreshner in.......

Jack
29-04-06, 12:58 PM
No pics no mod :D :thumb: