PDA

View Full Version : Engine cutting out.... Help.

treeted
23-04-06, 06:28 PM
Just bin to the gfs family in Leicester. Car ran like a dream on the way down yesterday but on the way back today its run like a right b*tch.

The engine keeps cutting out I'm pretty sure its a lack of fuel. Ive fitted a new tank and the coupling pipes last week and as i said she ran fine for 150 miles on the way down. However today every time i tried to accelerate the engine would just cut out. had to pull over and it wouldn't start for 2 or 3 times. bit scary when your on the M1! Not to bad now if i drive really gently and don't rev too much. Its also been back firring a couple of times when i 1st restart.

Anybody got any ideas?

Help would be much appreciated.

Steve:thumb:

Adam
23-04-06, 06:31 PM
What engine?

treeted
23-04-06, 06:42 PM
1.4 carb its badged up as a luxe but the lump is a 14nv and the id plate sayz its an sr. typical last few weeks of vauxhall built novas with anyting that was left.

lee_edwards
23-04-06, 07:46 PM
hi mate, had the same problems, turned out it was the fuel pump relay ;)

lee
PS: mine a nova gte though lol

treeted
23-04-06, 07:54 PM
yeh thought it mite have been the pump that was playing up either that or 1 of the fuel lines isnt quite right, just couldnt work out why it was fine on the way down.

treeted
25-04-06, 01:09 AM
ok fitted new fuel pump checked fuel lines etc ran 4 a while just ticking over but when i went to take it for a test drive, nothing. it died keeps on trying to fire but wont run properly just dies straight away. realy cant understand it now. how come it can run fine 1 day and then be a bag of spanners the next? Any ideas now realy would be apreciated

Steve

SRI crazy
25-04-06, 12:41 PM
is ur car fitted with an electric pump or a manual pump

treeted
25-04-06, 05:16 PM
manual just put a new 1 on it last nite.

SRI crazy
25-04-06, 05:51 PM
when u floor the car does it cut out straight away or chug and cut out

treeted
25-04-06, 07:05 PM
miss fires a couple of times 1st

Lee-1984
26-04-06, 11:12 AM
i had a 14 sr that done the same, its was nothin to do with the petrol surply, its was the crap k & n air filter that kept fcukin up

Welsh Dan
26-04-06, 11:54 AM
We had a similar problem after we'd run it down to vapours, turned out to be crap in the carb from the bottom of the tank, the garage cleaned it out with some compressed air.

gaskell1988
26-04-06, 12:53 PM
what does it say theres petrol left in on ur clocks or what

treeted
26-04-06, 06:03 PM
yeh theres about 2 gallon in the tank brand new tank so there shouldnt be sh*t in it

Jack
26-04-06, 07:10 PM
Its not so much crap from the petrol you just put in, more whats built up in the bottom of the tank over the past however many years old the car is. Its possible a bit of this gunk just happened to get sucked along the fuel lines and into the carb, usually happens when the tank is low as Ace says above. Happened on my Fiat once, but as mentioned above a quick blast of carb cleaner and all was good once more.

treeted
26-04-06, 10:03 PM
cheeres guys.

Get what you all mean about the crap in the tank but like i said the tank is only a week old its a brand new tank i only fitted it last week. part of the problem was the pipe connecting the tank to the fuel line. I didnt use the vauxhall shaped s bend 1's i had just used a a length of the stuff off a role.

Running loads better now but still cuts out when u push it hard so will strip down the carb and give it a clean over the weekend.

Thinking of fitting a fuel filter before the pump too. dont understand why they were never fitted with 1 in the 1st place. Only worry is I dont want that to restrict the flow either.

Steve

Dillett
26-04-06, 10:08 PM
All the pipes free and un-kinked? check that your choke is'nt sticking too.

treeted
26-04-06, 10:28 PM
that was the problem mate coz the pipes wern the shapped 1's they kinked between the tank and the main fuel line. sh*t design realy i supose. but i think the carb could do with a clean anyway its bin on 14 years and had nothing done to it.

Adam
26-04-06, 11:45 PM
The fuel pump has a guaze filter in it.

treeted
27-04-06, 07:23 AM
yeh but on the old pump you couldnt get into it to clean it out so if it did get full of sh*t theres nothing you can do apart from replace the pump

johnny27
27-04-06, 12:24 PM
prob just the old 2e carb playing up, auto choke not working as its suppose to. Clean out the jets, and think about fitting a 32/34 weber for future reliabilty.

treeted
27-04-06, 07:51 PM
yeh bin thinkin bout that. how much does it cost and is it hard to do? and most importantly is will my insurance go up by much?

SRI crazy
02-05-06, 05:01 PM
does the cra do this when it is hot or cold?

treeted
02-05-06, 06:29 PM
Not doing it anymore mate must have just been the pipe from the tank to the fuel line. been fine all weekend and left a bunch of chav goons in a 12 month old saxo sitting at the lights! wouldnt mind but im not a boy racer chuckle chuckle. lol