PDA

View Full Version : anybody want to help

kiddo
23-04-06, 04:42 PM
right, im thinking money now...
if any of you could help me price up the following. pleas ebar ein mind that none of this is fitted other than the interior trim as i will be doing most of the work myself ;

a 1.1 nova (preferably ok condition)
a full body kit
17 inch wheels
full exhaust system
roll cage
bucket seats
retrimmed interior

im wanting to price all this up so i have a rough idea of how much i need to save before i put a nova on the road, this way my car will look sweet as hell style wise and as i get my no claims etc i can do an engine transplant which i will then be able to insure. any help would be great and also any additions to my list please :thumb:

bump
23-04-06, 04:59 PM
If I were you then I would look to get a clean 1L and leave it at that untill you start building up some no claims. Otherwise insurance is going to be a killer.

You can pick up cheap clean novas, depends on what's around your area, say ?500 - ?1000.
Body Kit, it really depends on which kit you'd be after, bet bet is to look on some websites.
Wheels in the region of ?700 without tires, and you will need to mod your arches to fit them.
Full system round about ?200.
Cage ?400.
bucket seats ?80 to ? 750 each + harnesses (sp) ?60 upwards each.
As for a retrim, it really depends on what you want it retimmed in and if you know anyone that can do the work.

Cheers

Bump

General Baxter
23-04-06, 05:10 PM
p.s no such thing as a 1.1 nova, unless you get a 1L Bord out lol

Geth
23-04-06, 05:29 PM
Go for a 1.2 engine. The difference in insurance will be negligable and will help you turn those big ol' wheels.

Most exhaust systems are made for 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 engines. A 1.3 exhaust will fit a 1.2 as long as you get a 1.3 manifold as well. Also, I'm not too sure if a any after market exhaust systems will fit a 1.0 as the manifolds are a different design, don't quote me on that though.

Stuart
23-04-06, 06:01 PM
theres a cage in FS for sweet naff all at the moment...

kiddo
23-04-06, 07:29 PM
If I were you then I would look to get a clean 1L and leave it at that untill you start building up some no claims. Otherwise insurance is going to be a killer.

i would do that, and everyones probably going to shout at me for this, but i think novas are ugly as standard! id rather have the larger insurance to pay than a standard car no matter what!

Phil_G
23-04-06, 07:49 PM
dont bother covering it in lick & stick crap. Clean 1L / 1.2 and perhaps a couple of sensible modifications.

insurance wont kill you and then you can save for a good quality kit and proper fitting by a skilled bodyshop.

Good luck

kiddo
23-04-06, 07:52 PM
is it true that a bodykit counts as a cosmetic mod and didnt need to be claimed on the insurance? this way i will save more money :)

Adam
23-04-06, 07:53 PM
A GM GSI spoiler is classed as a body mod and will increase your insurance.
So a bodykit will probably bump it up quite a bit, if you find someone to insure you.

Geth
23-04-06, 07:58 PM
everyones probably going to shout at me for this, but i think novas are ugly as standard! id rather have the larger insurance to pay than a standard car no matter what!
That's no problem with us mate. It's all down to personal choice and if you only like Novas with body kits and big wheels then that's up to you.

As for cosmetic mods not affecting insurance, bull**** I'm afraid. All mods must be declared and WILL bump up your quote.

kiddo
23-04-06, 08:01 PM
That's no problem with us mate. It's all down to personal choice and if you only like Novas with body kits and big wheels then that's up to you.

As for cosmetic mods not affecting insurance, bull**** I'm afraid. All mods must be declared and WILL bump up your quote.

alright mate, cheers for clearing that up, the only reason that im a bit unsure on how people will take what i say is because the response i have had on other forums lol :)

Geth
23-04-06, 08:11 PM
Everyone's opinions are welcome here as long they're not too offensive.

You also need to know how the English language works and not be called Scrag lol

kiddo
23-04-06, 08:15 PM
Everyone's opinions are welcome here as long they're not too offensive.

You also need to know how the English language works and not be called Scrag lol

lol i dont think 'scrag' is even capable of typing in English, he must have been brought up using text language! i wonder what he got on his english exams :eek:

Jack
23-04-06, 11:14 PM
LMFAO

But i az gut a well popliar krooze forum innit lol

Anywoo. Pretty much any mods will affect your insurance. Have a butchers on Admiral and Elephant - both their online quote systems allow you to add up to three (I think its three) modifications. And don't forget to add a more experienced (e.g. mum or dad) second driver as this can save you a bunch of dorrah. They'll also cover you on your provisional license - my gf just had a quote of ?560 for her 1.0 Polo.

Try a range of quotes, with/without mods; different Nova engine sizes/trims; different mileages etc and see what comes out best.

ade
23-04-06, 11:25 PM
I work for a car insurance company - if you change the specification from standard then you HAVE to declare it.

This means, bumpers, wheels, suspension, exhaust (from standard - including just a back box), lights, side skirts and for some very anal insurance companies (not naming anmy - cough kwik fit cough) you even need to declare any stickers you have on the doors, windows (websites etc).

The reason for the stickers is due to an issue with rival website forums clashing at shows!!!

Most insurance companies will not charge you for certain mods and slap on extra for others - Adrian Flux for example apply small loadings for each mod type (5% for body kits, 10% for engine mods - regardless of type etc).

Colour changes dont normally cost extra unless you go for candies, flips pearls etc. This is because the respray cost and matching panels is so much harder.

ALSO - as well as notifying the DVLA make sure any mods are declared on the V5 (registration) document. EG if you change the engine to a bigger (or lesser) unit, do yourself a favour and declare it.

If you dont and get caught (the police aint stupid) you can lose your license, get points, fined, your car can be confiscated and in worst case scenario (like you have an accident) you could go down for it (not bullsh1tting either - theres plenty of posts on foirums where you hear of this happening).

If youre lucky - your insurance company will just void your policy and wont even pay out to the 3rd party - holding you fully responsible to settle the bill in full! And when you consider something like a road sign (if damaged) can cost upwards of ?2000 to fix (when you take into accounts labour etc) you see why cutting corners aint worth it.

:thumb:

Anyway - mods wise

Get a 1.2 - 1.4 - lots about - insurance is almost identical and powers okay for starters. most of them are solid enough - not ragged like GSi's/GTE's
Bucket seats - see previous for prices
Aloys - depends on set - I paid ?40 inc delivery for a set of Cav GSi 2000 rims (no tyres) off ebay - so add ?200 for those
Cage - depends on full or half and whether your welding it in or bolting it on. See previous.

Have fun!

:cool:

Welsh Dan
23-04-06, 11:28 PM
Elephant will let you add more than one driver, I've been adding both parents to my quotes, my current best is ?535 from elephant, before adding the parents it was closer to ?650

hey, im new to this forum, and couldnt find an introduction board so i thought id post this here. :D im only 16, and am planning on buying a nova sometime this year to have specifically for track days. and iv joined this site to learn as much about nova's as i can and possibly ask a few questions along the way. thanks for reading this ramble :thumb:

You should be taking bits off not putting fibreglass on :p.

Jack
24-04-06, 12:08 AM
Elephant will let you add more than one driver, I've been adding both parents to my quotes, my current best is ?535 from elephant, before adding the parents it was closer to ?650
Do both make it cheaper? When I was looking at them & Admiral, I was better off with only one additional driver...

JSeymour
24-04-06, 12:09 AM
^^^ yeah that. thought you wanted a track car?

cant afford a 1l nova with a cheesy bodykit then forget track days mate.......

Welsh Dan
24-04-06, 12:29 AM
Do both make it cheaper? When I was looking at them & Admiral, I was better off with only one additional driver...

It only knocked something like ?10-?20 off to add dad after adding mum, but I'll be adding both anyway out of convenience if the need ever arises for them to drive it.

On another note, if a car is for track day use only, ie trailered there and back, does it have to be insured? I'm assuming not, but I'm not sure.

dannyb
24-04-06, 01:20 AM
Are you a completely new driver Kiddo? I would get a standard 1.2, leave it that way for a year then think about mods. This will save you money to buy petrol to actually get out there and drive, rather than having a car which sits there being all expensive with an empty tank. You are also most likely to crash in this first year of driving (if this is the case). It is heartbreaking sound when your bodykit gets crunched because you have bodged a parallel park. There has much that has been typed about 17"s on a nova, I don't think it will do much for your car, handling wise or performance wise (and the tyres are quite dear....) Also, acres of fibreglass will attract every theiving cretin in your town and make you a prime target for police to pull over, so pleasse have the right insurance. My insurance company will insure some mods but will not tolerate roll cages at all, so beware! Sorry for the long rant. Dan

kiddo
24-04-06, 04:40 PM
^^^ yeah that. thought you wanted a track car?

cant afford a 1l nova with a cheesy bodykit then forget track days mate.......
i did only originally want to get a nova for track days, but i realised that im starting to like novas alot more and would like one to use all of the time. lol i was originally going to get a 1.4 306 but couldnt afford the insurance.