PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

chimp007_uk
23-04-06, 02:47 PM
hi all,
just got my nova mot'd and taxed. i'm going back to uni on monday, but noticed that head gasket is going (oil in water and water in oil) i cant leave any later than mondya to get back and dont have time to fit a new, will have to do it at uni... there is no smoke coming from the exhaust and doesnt seem to be losing water or overheating, although engine does tend to smell...

is there anything i can add to either the water or oil or both to help? will it be ok to drive back to uni?

help!

Welsh Dan
23-04-06, 02:56 PM
If it goes completely (likely once its gone at all), the pressure for the oil system will burst the coolant system and you'll end up with a mixture everywhere, and you'll have to get the whole lot cleaned out.

chimp007_uk
23-04-06, 03:04 PM
i know... its not loosing oil, or water. i was wondering if a oil tretement to raise the viscosity would help and maybe rad weld??? i could do the head gasket tomorrow, but would want to get the head skimmed and regrind the valves at the same time

Welsh Dan
23-04-06, 03:08 PM
Can you not do the head gasket tomorrow to play it safe, then get the other stuff done and another new gasket at a more convenient time?

chimp007_uk
23-04-06, 03:09 PM
suppose... i hate doing cam belts tho! dont want to fook it up.

Adam
23-04-06, 03:29 PM
Sure its not just condesation.
Especially if the cars driven short journeys or left standing for a while.

chimp007_uk
23-04-06, 04:05 PM
i bought it off a guy and it was standing for about a year... and i've only driving it to the mot centre and around town...

have flushed out the coolant system
will buy some oil additive will help, but i dont like the stuff as u have to wait for the engine to get warm alot longer