PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing/CV joints?

dannyb
23-04-06, 01:00 AM
When i do a roundabout or any right turn, my car makes a rumbling sort of bass sound. Is this a wheel bearing or CV joint or could it be something more serious? How much are these items and how long to they take a decent mechanic to change?
Cheers
Dan

nova~norm
23-04-06, 01:20 AM
my golf does the same pain in the **** should really get it sorted lol wheelbearing i think

jbowman
23-04-06, 03:00 AM
You should be able to change the bearings yourself, just take apart the hub, grease up the new bearings and pop them in. Its a while back since I had to buy new bearings, bout ?10 to ?15 each from a motor factors.

Welsh Dan
23-04-06, 03:40 AM
Do they cause a whine at 40-50mph too?

nova~norm
23-04-06, 10:37 AM
mine dnt lol

shy witness
23-04-06, 10:44 AM
sounds like a wheel bearing 2 me mate.........

and as for quote''You should be able to change the bearings yourself, just take apart the hub, grease up the new bearings and pop them in''

i'd doubt it mate....u'll need 2 either beat them out.....or in most cases......press them out......and u'll not do that in the driveway at home........

theres is another way though thats simple that i use

SRlew
23-04-06, 05:16 PM
mine clicks when i turn right, is that the cv joint? how much and how hard to change?

lew

mikey14sr
23-04-06, 05:53 PM
Cv joint can be changed in about half an hour, for the front bearings just take the whole steering knukkle off and take that to the local garage along with your new bearing, they shouldn't really charge more than a tenner to do it like this, as there's hardly any real work for them to do.

treeted
23-04-06, 06:12 PM
I got a new bearing just before christmas was about ?12 i think. Got me mate to press this one out in work as the last one we beat out took us hours to get out. Dea easy to pop in though just leave it in the freezer over night and grease it up abit. But far easier if you can get someone to press it out for you. mite be worth doing the cv joint whilst it all off anyway.

SRlew
23-04-06, 09:21 PM
so you have to take the same parts off really for the bearing and the cv joint.

treeted
24-04-06, 07:18 AM
yeah within reason once you've got the steering knuckle off the drive shaft is left hanging there with the cv joint right in front of you.