PDA

View Full Version : nova wings

cockney16v
21-04-06, 06:50 PM
just bought 2 new wings for me nova but they have no holes for the side repeaters will this fail mot

SRi-pete
21-04-06, 07:11 PM
nope should pass, passes here in Northern Ireland but is that not the same as England mot centres,

Adam
21-04-06, 07:18 PM
If its a mk2 should pass.
Mk1 will probably fail.

graham kirkbride
21-04-06, 07:28 PM
Hi mate!!! it will fail if the wings are for a nova built after 1987, as by law the car has to have them.

Adam
21-04-06, 07:29 PM
Mines a 1992 and passed.

I've heard they are a lot stricter this year tho with the new MOT system.

If your worried about them failing MOT, just drill a hole and stick on a universal side repeater.
Cost about a fiver for 2.

DW-Nova
14-12-07, 08:31 PM
It will fail the test with no side reps, however the easy way around this is to sellotape some side reps on the wings just for the test and then take them off sraight away after.

loggyboy
15-12-07, 12:47 AM
It will fail the test with no side reps, however the easy way around this is to sellotape some side reps on the wings just for the test and then take them off sraight away after.

IF a tester is fussy enough to fail it on no repeaters hes hardly likely to let it pass with them selotaped on!!

Depends on how friendly you are with ur MoTer, best to go watch them do it, then if he asks you can say that the wing hasnt got the mountings for them so you assumed it didnt need them, then try the 'you can see the front indicators from the side' trick.

Most Moters ive used would probly let it go.

Adam
15-12-07, 12:56 AM
Mines passed its last 4 mot's, W I T H O U T side repeaters.

Happy Iain?

Iain
15-12-07, 12:57 AM
Mines passed its last 4 mot's, with side repeaters.

Very useful input there. :p My car passed its MOT with a horn. :)

NovaLad
15-12-07, 12:59 AM
Lol!

Adam
15-12-07, 01:00 AM
Very useful input there. :p My car passed its MOT with a horn. :) To55er :p lol

WITHOUT
fools

im tired and really dont care

DW-Nova
01-01-08, 07:05 PM
it will defientley pass with them taped on, the MOT basically checks that the vehicle is road legal on that day, so as long as theyre working it'll be fine

twistysnovagte
01-01-08, 07:17 PM
it will defientley pass with them taped on, the MOT basically checks that the vehicle is road legal on that day, so as long as theyre working it'll be fine

if there taped on surely heel want to see them working(flashing) or hes bond to see them not working,as when my car had wing repeater bulb out, it went down on the fail sheet along with an obstructive object in the rear veiw mirror becuse the object(dangling blue dolphin yeah you know the oneslol)because it was larger than 40mm and front headlight needed setting in the correct position due to aftermarket bulbs,wont be going there againlol

14nova
01-01-08, 08:16 PM
it will pass on the mark 2s as the front indicators can be seen from the side.
as it can be seen then there is no need for extra side repeaters

DW-Nova
02-01-08, 10:29 PM
No, not just taped on and not functioning, they would obviously have to be working! obviously depends on who's testing it but technically it should fail if no side reps are fitted

Jack
02-01-08, 11:44 PM
With no side repeaters you'd get a fast flash rate so would fail on that as well.

Direct from the MOT manual:

Acceptable wrapround lens marking

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

By "wraparound lens" it refers to the front direction indicator, hence why Mk2's pass (as the lamp points out at an angle) and <1986 Mk1s would fail (as the lamp points forward).

DW-Nova
03-01-08, 10:15 PM
yeh true, i didnt think about the fast flash rate, i had this problem on my motorbike when i put LED indicators on, i had to chop the wiring that went to the indicators and put a little resistor in line.