PDA

View Full Version : Polybushes......

novamadman
21-04-06, 02:45 PM
Bought a set of new (second hand) polybushes recently. They arrived today and they are different to any ive had previous. Ive had two sets previous which were yellow and rubbery. This set is black and is like solid hard black nylon or something.

Are there different grades?? or what way does it work??

This set was bought for a road car and i can now imagine it being like a flamin brick. Are they a bit much for a car that is going to be used everyday on the road??

Any help appreciated

cheers shane

ade
21-04-06, 07:01 PM
poly bushes are hard - poly = polyester which when compacted is v tough. youre ride wont be stiffer but the suspension will respond better and last longer = better road holding.

I think you can get different grades but not sure.

As for stiffness (in a hard way) - thats down to your suspension (shocks/springs) - if youre suspension is "sporty" (car lowered) then the bushes themselves wont really add much to the hardness - theyre just more rubust. You will feel a difference - especially when combined with other components.

Ade

novamadman
21-04-06, 07:33 PM
ive used yellow ones before on rally cars but these make the yellow ones feel like jelly they are rock hard no movement at all

also very difficult to fit as there is no movement in them

shane

joff-turbo-nova
21-04-06, 10:27 PM
Shane

I ran something similar on my nova a few years ago - they were called SFN bushes from TAS - SFN was Super Formula Nylon or something.

Anyway I got the tie bar, lower arm and rear beam bushes - not cheap either.

I think these things were made for motorsport use only as they were ROCK hard, and due to the hardness of them they wore out very quickly - i.e within 8000 miles you could move the rear beam in the mountings due to the play in the bushes.

I would only really recommend them for about 5000 miles max before you would need to change them.

Try them but I have now reverted back to the yellow and purple polybush ones - better than the originals and last substantially longer.

Cheers

Joff

novamadman
21-04-06, 10:46 PM
cheers joff
i was thinking they wouldnt alst that long

what were they like whilst you did have them

i have the tie bars, tca's, rear beam bushes, and roll bar

tried tonight putting one in tca and fcuk me it was hard, spent about 2 hours at it, using all sorts of lube including what stu said grease, had to sand them down with sand paper to try and get them in, in the end i didnt care if it ****ed it up just really wanted to get it in, eventually i got it in but theres no way im going to be able to do that with rear beam bushes and i aint spending the same time putting the rest in so...

i measured them with micrometer and they seem to be 4 and 5 mm over sized for the hole and they do not compress barely anything because of how stiff and solid they are so i am going to get them runed down on the lathe to around 1 or 2mm maybe and try them then

ive spent the money now so im going to use them

did you have much bother fitting yours

shane

fearless
21-04-06, 10:47 PM
wore out very quickly - i.e within 8000 miles you could move the rear beam in the mountings due to the play in the bushes.

Same thing happened to my Nylon bushes on the good old 'Rusty Rocket' !!!!

I would only recommend the yellow/purple/whatever colour you want, poly bushes

Dave

novamadman
21-04-06, 10:48 PM
by the way, i got these of "dk-daniels" off this site, ?70 they are new second hand if you no what i mean so wernt expensive for new polybushes, not 100% sure of make but there is instructions and the name is willwood if apart from that they were just in a plain box with no markings

shane

Stuart
22-04-06, 08:38 AM
sound like astra ones to me... i accidentally orderd astra rears and they were massive lol.

novamadman
22-04-06, 01:02 PM
sound like astra ones to me... i accidentally orderd astra rears and they were massive lol.

hmmmm ur making me think now lol gona go and have a check