PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 t40 suggestions

womble sri
20-04-06, 08:18 PM
i alredy have a 1.4 on t40s. this year i want to build the 'ultimate' 1.6 on t40s. im pretty clear on waht i want to do but am hoping some one can clarify a few things and give any advise. im gonna start with a gsi/gte engine have it completly rebuilt balanced ect what is actually involved with the bottom end work? i have an sri head should i stick with that or use the gsi head or are they the same. should i run it on solid lifters the cam im running is a piper bp 300 and likes to rev mostly off the clock as i dont think the pony hydrauics will be able to hack it! what about oil catch tank? now shell related what is the benefit of poly bushes and solid top mounts also i want a bear shell respray i havent had any quotes yet but if anyone has had one could you give me a rough idea of how much it will cost :D
i know its gonna be expensive but i want a bad ass track slut nova!!!:wisewood:
cheers neil :thumb:

Stuart
20-04-06, 08:28 PM
bottom end.
+1mm overbore and maybe notch out the valve cutouts for a scaryier cam ;)
deseam the rods. get them shot peened
ARP rod bolts
new oil pump.
have the block decked a bit.

Head
the 1.4 sri head is pretty much the same as the 1,6 one
You could go solid, but you'd need to get a solid profile cam to suit as hydraulic ones dont like being run as a solid setup. the solid conversion is a piece of piss, or have the oil restricter opened up to keep the lifters oiled.

if you want to go silly get mappable ign (unfortunately Pete cant really cope with that lol) and you can do it with megasquirt.

poly bushes are good, get red ones from rally des for rock hardness. and alloy mounts are ace.

respray ohhh ?500 - 10,000 lol
dont forget to cage the slut

womble sri
21-04-06, 12:07 AM
yeah what sort of ignition do you think i was looking at webber alpha stuff but would it be compatible with dellorto carbs

Stuart
21-04-06, 08:40 AM
weber alpha is a bit of a "not so good" system. only know of a handfull of people runnign it, compared to lots of DTA/MBE/Other users... so thats a little giveaway to the general usability of it lol. Personally id knock a Megasquirt up to run the Ign.. its going to be uber cheap to do, plus its able to run the fueling side if you want to get TB's for something else etc, where as other ign only setups will need to be sold etc yada yada. Run wasted spark whatever setup you go for as its a)funky and b) a bit more reliable then running a dizzy etc.
oh bottom end, dont forget a crank polish (or regrind if need be) and new bearings ;)

womble sri
22-04-06, 11:39 AM
yeah am thinkin of buying a new/recon block from ivor searle. need to have a vchat with an engine builder really. bloke up the road worked for chamberlin motorsport for 10+ years but i might have a chat with rj automoutive as they were helpful last time. i was considerin 2.0 8v. also have you driven jims stu what is it like on take off. would ask him but he aint been on here for ages me thinks
i do wanna cage it too but my insurance grows 2000 on top of all the other mods! prob cos it sort of means your expecting to crash! haha

Stuart
22-04-06, 12:58 PM
jims is a total rocket from launch now hes had it retuned at jamsport... pete had it set perfectly for peak balls out power but jam god some really good low down grunt back that it was missing...

maybe give the cage a miss then lol, and simply stitch weld the entire shell + weld in strut braces etc...

i personally think the 8v engines are more entertaining to play with as the peak power is down but you get emmense dirveability from them for true lane bashing... plus no one bothers with them in "our" game so they are different and generally cheaper to get hold of.

womble sri
22-04-06, 01:38 PM
yeah i think mine could do with a retune id like to get in the rollers just to get an accurate reading not that it matters that much. with mine i cant give it full throttle off the mark it just splutters so you have to literally cover the throttle untill your in the power it wont even hold 70 in 5th gear! i think im gonna take it off the road till pv. mmm astra estate. is it jam sport or jabba sport cos i wasnt sure they dealt with carbs

Stuart
22-04-06, 01:41 PM
erm deffo jamsport... dont know about jabba lol

garyc
22-04-06, 06:17 PM
Try http://www.allittmotorsport.co.uk, Chris works for Searls so may be able to help you sort out a bottom end and build it for you or just supply the parts if you want to do it yourself.