PDA

View Full Version : 32/34 idling + jets

beavy69
19-04-06, 09:04 PM
Hey peeps, just fitted 32/34 (DMTL) and have 2 probs.

Its quite long but well explained I think so please help if you can.:cry:

1) Rich mixture (smoking like a bitch and poping from exhaust etc). Idle mix screw s fully in and backed off a little but still rich mix. Am I right in thinking I need smaller jets for my 1.3? what would be the best sizes of jet for my engine? It came off an autograss (astra I think) and they prob not bothered about a rich mix as they go through engines like pints.

2) Hose locations, wtf! - I have the big blue Haynse carb manual and the tubes are a different layout and they are not labelled in there anyway!

There are three tubes coming off a DMTL. The fuel inlet on the right of the pic below. This is obvious as this is where the mesh filter is (the big brass bolt to the left of that hose):thumb:

Then there is the vacuum tube. This I have established must be the one you can see the thinner vacuum hose connected to, on the left just below the curved hose that goes to the choke diaphragm. I know this from starting the car and feeling it.:thumb: However, in the manual it shows a tube (what I believe to be the equivalent to this one) as coming out of that blank "stump" to the right of the bolt at the bottom.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/beavy69/P1020012.jpg

FINALLY the third hose :confused: In the Haynse manual this third tube pertrudes next to the fuel inlet tube at an angle (the two make a V shape) so I presumed that this would be the fuel overflow that goes back to the tank as the Pierburg 2E3 has.

This third tube on my carb is located around the back as shown in the centre of the picture below (brass):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/beavy69/P1020006.jpg

However:

*The car starts and nothing but a slightly noticeable bit of air comes out of it but no fuel.
*But when I plug my fuel return hose onto it, the engine is groggy (particularly after some revs back when its idling again).
*After this I removed the Hose again to find it wet with fuel!

Any ideas what this tube is for and what I should do with that hose? Will the problem clear up if I get the right jets?

If you made it to the bottom thanks for at least reading, if you can help in any way I would be really grateful.

thanks,

7im.

Adam
19-04-06, 09:08 PM
The 32/34 has no fuel return.
So block that off.

Also, i think you need a fuel pressure regulator for a weber 32/34, as it needs slightly less fuel pressure than the standard pierburg.

Im not sure on the hose situation, the pierburg will have coolant hoses etc too as its a electronic choke.
So thats less connections for the weber as thats manual.

beavy69
19-04-06, 09:23 PM
Yeah the Pierburg had two water hoses going to it that powered a kind of paddle to opperate the auto choke. So I just linked them.

Funny you should say about the fuel reg as my seconday venturi kept floading and I found I had bent the wrong tab to adjust the floats. But I sorted that.

Do you think that the lack of a fuel reg could be the cause of a rix mix though?

cheers,

7im.

Welsh Dan
19-04-06, 11:19 PM
More fuel pumped to carb -> more fuel out of carb, surely?

beavy69
20-04-06, 11:35 AM
No don't think so because the float closes the valve to the float well when it is full and then the carb takes a measure amount of fuel from that which is determined by the jets etc.

Just wondered really if anyone could confirm that I need different jets and what sizes are the best to use fior a 1.3. Oh yeah lol and what that fkcuing tube is for at the back!?

Adam
20-04-06, 11:41 AM
Too much fuel tho will flood the carb.

mad-driver
20-04-06, 12:21 PM
Get it set up properly, wont cost too much to stick it on a machine, mine was like that until i took it somewhere.

btw Ad, i dont know about fuel return but RPL put a t piece in mine to link the feed to the return.

Adam
20-04-06, 02:44 PM
Ye, iirc you do need a t-piece.

mikey14sr
20-04-06, 06:56 PM
The lower vac pipe at the front and the angled one at the back are just linked together on mine. the vac take-off at the back "should" go to the vac advance unit on the dizzy(thats where it went on mine until Boggy had a look at it).
I've just put my camera on charge so I'll try to get some pics of mine tomorrow, and have a look at the jet sizes.
One thing I will add is that mine was also running uber rich until we modified the standard air filter housing, after we did this we had to enlarge the jets again!!

beavy69
20-04-06, 07:30 PM
OK got my mates spare 32/34 that he had on his mk2 golf 1.6 we took the jets out of all three carbs. His two sets were identical and mine were a hotch potch of random ones. So I fitted his spare jets to my carb and the prob was still there.(rich mix - white smoke)

Fitted his spare and with the decent jets back on it and the white smoke has gone!

MY MATE'S SPARE CARB HAS ONLY TWO TUBES THOUGH!? SAME LAYOUT BUT THAT ONE I HAVE ON MINE AT THE BACK IS A BLANK.

His needs a good clean though so may take the original apart again when I service this one to compare. I still want to know whats up with it and when I find out i'll let everyone know for future.

Adam
20-04-06, 07:35 PM
Rich mix wont cause white smoke.
Rich=black smoke

White is water burning/condensation.

beavy69
21-04-06, 01:44 PM
So why would it do that on one carb and not the other if they are both the same? It was not pure white more like a light grey, hardly black though. It subsided a little when reving away from idle.

Adam
21-04-06, 03:26 PM
Sure it wasn't just condesation.
If you ran it, and fitted a different carb perhaps the engine had warmed up a bit, so the condesation would stop then.

Geth
21-04-06, 05:41 PM
This is the default setup for the Vauxhall 1.3 engine on DMTL carb as recomended by weber. Mine took a tiny bit of tweeking and it's nearly there.
Primary Secondary
Main 117 125
Air Corrector 165 165
E Tube F30 F25
Idle Jet 55 60
Pump Jet 45
Needle Valve 175
Float Level (with gasket) 8.0 ? 0.25

I think I went for a 65 Idle jet in the end to stop it cutting out under 1000rpm.

The pipe on the back goes to the vac advance and the pipe on the front should be blocked off.

I would still recomend rolling road to get the best out of it though. I haven't done mine yet but should be going to Mosleys soon.

mikey14sr
21-04-06, 07:58 PM
Pics of mine, the two vacum take-offs are joined together by the pipe that used to go to the dizzy advance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/Engine/HPIM1695b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/Engine/HPIM1696b.jpg

I think Boggy took my secondary air corrector out to 180 in the end, it was marked as 155 but was actually only 140 when we checked it!

beavy69
21-04-06, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys all that info is of great help. I'll have another look at my jets, stick my vac advance on the lone tube at the back (as it's on the front now lol) and block off the front.

I've got a GTE head and injection system (ready for my tubro job - hopfully in the summer) could I use the fuel reg off that or would it be better to put a T piece in the feed hose and attach the return to it to ease some of the pressure on the carb?

beavy69
21-04-06, 11:45 PM
and mikey have you just linked the two tubes together with the hose for your vacuum advance? If so have to connected your vacuum advance to your servo line as my mates golf takes his to there?

beavy69
24-04-06, 11:14 PM
Ok so gone with mi mate carb (2 tubes)

Idle ok but there is a dead spot on initial acceloration. Put foot down and only kicks in 4 5ths of first venturi. 2nd is fine.

What is even more weird is if I switch the enging off then on at some traffic lights the prob has gone!

Had a similar thing with the old pierburg for a while but that cleared up.

Cant be carb icing as the weathers OK. Could it be the main primary jet?

Any other ideas?

Ta

mikey14sr
28-04-06, 06:47 PM
My vacum advance unit isn't connected to anything, in fact I shall be removing it completely tomorrow. I would recommend you get the carb set up on a rolling road, it really is the only way to make sure the jetting's right.

johnny27
28-04-06, 07:47 PM
This is the default setup for the Vauxhall 1.3 engine on DMTL carb as recomended by weber. Mine took a tiny bit of tweeking and it's nearly there.
Primary Secondary
Main 117 125
Air Corrector 165 165
E Tube F30 F25
Idle Jet 55 60
Pump Jet 45
Needle Valve 175
Float Level (with gasket) 8.0 ? 0.25

I think I went for a 65 Idle jet in the end to stop it cutting out under 1000rpm.

The pipe on the back goes to the vac advance and the pipe on the front should be blocked off.

I would still recomend rolling road to get the best out of it though. I haven't done mine yet but should be going to Mosleys soon.

Would you have by any chance the recommended jets for the carb on a 1400 sr engine, i used to have them on a leaflet when i bought a 32/34 a couple of years ago, but is missing now. Would really appericate it if you can help me out. Thanks.
Johnny

Geth
29-04-06, 02:19 PM
Hi

I just made this on Excel, I've copied it out of the leaflet that came with my DMTL which I assume is what you have lost. The 1.4 setup is the sameas 1.3 but there a few changes which are marked with asterisks. I've also included the 1.6 and 1.8 setups for anybody that's interested.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Miko_Gethinsky/DMTLSetup.gif

beavy69
29-04-06, 04:17 PM
Nice one bassboy.

You say you went for a 65 idle jet for your 1.3. I have to keep the choke on when idling even after the engines warmed up or it will cut out too, do you reckon I need a 65 or is it somthing else.

P.S. The initial acceloration is fine now must just have been some debry in the primary jet/channel or somit.

Geth
29-04-06, 05:28 PM
Beavy69

Sorry, I was wrong about what idle jet I put in. I just checked and I am running the same idle jets as the table says above. It did have secondary idle of 55 when I bought it so I took it up to 60.

Going for a larger secondary idle jet definatly reduced idleing problems for me anyway. so maybe going further will help improve things even more. I just haven't bothered trying it yet.

If your having idleing problems get a small collection of idle jets around the sizes stated in the table and try them all. 50 - 70 size jets might be a good collection to start with. And once you've found something that works (or at least improves performance) get 2 more jets the same size as what you put in. So if you went for 50-60 get another 50 jet and 60 jet, then try 50-50 then 60-60 as these are 2 combinations you wouldn't have been able to try before.

Still, I would only use a DIY setup as an interim until it is setup on a rolling road.

johnny27
29-04-06, 08:04 PM
i've checked my weber jets and they are the same as the table for my 1400 nv engine. But it is still running far too rich even on adjusting the mixture in alot, also the revs die on full throttle but not on half.
As said the jets are the same as recommend any1 any idea what would be wrong, is it possible that the jet sizes may vary, espically since these engines are getting older?
Also have a pressure regulator fitted. Really starting to bug me, any help very much appericated. BTW where is the pump jet located?

johnny27
29-04-06, 08:06 PM
also thanks to bassboy to putting in the effort of making the table for us, nice one