PDA

View Full Version : ATB Diff fitting

Rob77
19-04-06, 08:50 PM
Does anybody have any advice on the best way of knowing how tight the castle nut should be tightened up when fitting a limited slip diff?

I dont have a special tool, I am undoing / doing it up with a screwdriver, as in thread below.

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60228

I dont want to crush the bearings, but dont want it too loose!

Ideas?

Rob.

Rob77
19-04-06, 09:56 PM
Need to know this ASAP guys! So all help appreciated!

Rob.

Lee
19-04-06, 10:04 PM
mark where the nut is sat before you take it off with tippex or a scratch, then you can replace it to the same point.

garyc
19-04-06, 10:38 PM
Does that work when replacing the diff? you cant guarentee the diff is the absolute same width as the one you removed. I'll try and check an old haynes manual I have I think it explains it in there.

Stuart
20-04-06, 08:52 AM
basically i use a piece of 25*25*5mm angle iron to do/undo it as thats got some good ridgity.
when doing back up i essentially tighten it and try to spin the diff. when the diff stops being easy to turn i then back the nut off a little till it movessemi freely. Its worked that wasy for a fair few diffs :)

garyc
20-04-06, 09:32 AM
Yeah thats the way I did mine too. I checked in my Haynes and it says you need to tighten it to a turning torque of 15.3-18.3 kgf cm. It sounds like you need the right tool to do it properly, but you become the tool as Stuart describes it above.