PDA

View Full Version : Knock from steering

Geth
16-04-06, 11:11 PM
Hey guys

I've got a strange knock that I can feel coming through the steering wheel. It happens when I turn from left lock to right e.g. on a round about.

I haven't a clue why it's doing it. It was fine Thursday and appeared on Friday after installing some speakers into my door cards. Anybody have any ideas?

beavy69
17-04-06, 12:59 AM
If its just one knock sounds like a wheel bearing. Jack up your front and see if there is any play in either of the wheels. (Grab em at top and bottom to minimise a false alarm from steering play)

treeted
17-04-06, 09:03 AM
Either that or it could be your cv joint is on its way out. If its the bearing be carefull to make sure you change the right one as the sound and vibration dont half travel. Is it humming when you turn the wheel slightly?

Geth
17-04-06, 11:45 AM
No humming or vibrations, just one knock as I turn right. I'll get the car over over pit later and check the CV joint and wheel bearing and let you know how goes.

Geth
17-04-06, 02:59 PM
Good news!
It's all sorted!
It was the coupling between the steering column and the end of the pinion going into the rack. I had fitted a quick rack a few weeks back and done everything up nice and tight, but I'm guessing with a bit of use everything settled in and needed a tiny tweek with a spanner.

beavy69
18-04-06, 11:30 AM
Good to hear that mate I need a second bearing and they are a fair job without a hydrawlic press!