PDA

View Full Version : best place for earth wire (firewall removed)

dan23
15-04-06, 07:49 PM
having cut out the fire wall where is the best place to put the earth wire ?i dont really want to be drilling holes ?

Dan
15-04-06, 07:56 PM
all i did was clamp the earth wire from the battery down onto the bolt that the battery stay bolts to, easy peasy

R1CH
15-04-06, 07:57 PM
Have you moved your battery ?

Rich

dan23
15-04-06, 08:02 PM
battery is in origanl place. but i have cut a big piece of were the batery sits an welded a plate in because it was rotten but by doing this i have lost the battery clamp .guess i will have to weld in a new one

Ste L
15-04-06, 08:25 PM
yea, you'll need to do that, otherwise you get get points for not having batt bolted down properly, and it can fail the mot apprently

not sure how true that it, its just something i've heard

General Baxter
15-04-06, 08:29 PM
I'm sure somebody got 3 points for not having his battery bolted down

Lee
15-04-06, 09:10 PM
3 points? are we talking Nectar points here?

...lol

Adam
15-04-06, 09:14 PM
No, Lol
I was in a mates car once and he got 3points and ?60 fine for insecure battery.
He had forgotten to refit the clamp when he fitted a new battery earlier in the day.

Lee
15-04-06, 09:18 PM
thats quite harsh, but i guess a flying acid battery in a collision wouldnt be the most healthy thing in the world!

Adam
15-04-06, 09:19 PM
Ye, the offence was written as driving the car in an unroadworthy condition.

mowgli
16-04-06, 10:29 AM
the policeman 's wife must have really pissed him off before he went to work. How long does it take to find a loose battery?
the rest of the car must have been absolutely straight, and he must have been driving like a vicar.
I once got pulled and after 20minutes (one copper had the torch in my eyes whilst the other was clutching at straws) they said 'You've only got 3 days road tax' so I said 'AND?' they responded that they were only telling me, and I pointed out that it was safe & legal and could I go now.
Maybe we should have a legal forum.

By the way, just get a much longer earth lead & bolt it on to the strut top or the engine mount

bump
16-04-06, 12:27 PM
Or if you've got to do some work sorting the battery clamp the just weld a bolt to the plate next to the battery and earth to that.