PDA

View Full Version : cams what would be best?

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 01:55 PM
hey ppl i hve a 1.6 gte nova an i wanna get a cam kit but dnt no which would be best, what sort of cams have u ppl gt an which cam is the best? im lookin for mid range nt to bothered bout top end.

Stuart
15-04-06, 01:58 PM
a) less text typing ;)

b) are you planning to stick with the std ECU and air flow meter? this will dictate what kind of cam you can select. at the moment you can only really have a mild kent NVO series of cam that will harly set the world on fire but it will offer some gain.

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 02:02 PM
ah rite well were would i get a uprated air flow meter an what price would i be lookin at? ive had the car tuned recently an its kickin out 112 bhp at the wheels an the torque is very good for a 1.6 apparently. what other mods would make any difference?

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 02:03 PM
oh an the txt typin is just a habbit.

Adam
15-04-06, 02:04 PM
What mods have you done so far?

Stuart
15-04-06, 02:22 PM
its a habbit you will have to break on here lol.

no such thing as an uprated airflow meter for the nova im affraid. Its the ECU thats the limiting factor with the cam choice etc.
and id be surprised if its really got 112bhp at the wheels as thats about 130Bhp at the fly and if the engine is more or less std then youve been had. There is a chance that its a crap RR and its really 112 at the fly, but even then its too high for a std engine. Bear in mind that its gotta be atleast 15 years old so the engine is worn etc so tsi not even going to make its book 100bhp at the fly... add maybe an air filter and exhaust you might get bcak to book power if your lucky.

Adam
15-04-06, 02:28 PM
I've heard that cams with a duration of more than about 275/280 really mess up the working of the AFM, something to do with the overlap causing the incoming air to pulse instead of flow through the meter.

Of course this is cured with the later engine with a MAP sensor.

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 02:33 PM
nope nt been had. tuned by my dads mate who owns hi-tech performance. hes vauxhall mad an knows his stuff. i even have the rollin road read out to prove lol. but anyway im not gettin any closer to knowing what cam to get. i was told to get the 275 cam. just wanted to know if any have been tried an tested

Stuart
15-04-06, 02:40 PM
what has been tuned??? if its a std engine then there is sweet FA to setup with the ECU in the way.... he may be vauxhall mad, but hes more cash mad. But hey you belive what you want and dont listen to us lot who have no clue hey ;) lol

mild cam if your keeping the std ECU etc, but you can go silly if you change to aftermarket management tec.
Bruce on here has a 1.6 with the injection setup and a piper BP300 cam and MBE management. has had V good results.

got for T40's for the more traditional route of 1.6 8v tuning

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 02:42 PM
hw much would a set of twin 40s set me back? oh an he messes with dizzy throttle body an airflow meter.

Stuart
15-04-06, 02:46 PM
messing with the dizzy wont change a thing on the ECU controlled ign ;) the TB hasnt really got much/any adjsutment bar for idle. similar to the AFM too... basically you might get 1-4bhp from that, not the 12-30 you think you got ;)

T40's are about ?200 to buy with linkage/manifold etc then you need them RR'd at a place that knows carbs (and not how to con you like your dads mate ;) sorry but those figures arent possible form a std engine even with your climed tweeks)

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 02:54 PM
were would i get myself a set of twin 40s anywere recomended? oh an are u still goin on bout my car bein tuned? well for starters if u tweek u undo ure dissy twist it to the left lookin down from the cam belt. ure revs will go up then u tweek the tb to balance out the revs puttin mre petrol into the engine with balanced air flow makin ure car go faster.

Stuart
15-04-06, 02:58 PM
erm not when the ECU will back out those changes lol. we tried setting good ign advance with the ecu controlled ign and it keept backing the advance back to std setting despite where the pretend dizzy was. But hey you belive what you want.. but if you think that you have 112bhp at the wheels then your in for a "shock" when you fit things like a cam and T40's and a 1.4 ign setup (as the 1.6 stuff isnt right) and go to a different RR and find youve "lost" power but hey magically the car is faster... ohhh spoooky

try ebay/forsale here, pvg,mig,vxon,rb,jov etc for the carbs

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 03:06 PM
so where can i get twin 40s frm?

philgte1.6
i keep askin an u keep chattin on wit ureself

Stuart
try ebay/forsale here, pvg,mig,vxon,rb,jov etc for the carbs

:wall:

Stuart
15-04-06, 03:08 PM
STOP TEXT TYPING ffs.

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 03:08 PM
ok cheers mate.

philgte1.6
15-04-06, 03:09 PM
lol

Adam
15-04-06, 06:11 PM
Lol at Stu.

Ebay is your best bet for the carbs.
Usually plenty of sets on there, remember you might also need a rebuild kit depending on there condition.
Plus it will cost maybe a few hundred ??? to get them set up on a rolling road.

As already said, something like a 275/280 cam should be fine, the std gte cam is around the 270deg mark tho iirc.
So gains aren't going to be great.

Dan
15-04-06, 07:34 PM
(wipes tears away from eyes)

right then, stuart has given you the best advice possible if you want big gains. On the not so powerful scale the kent nvo62 cam which is 270/275 degree (standard is not 270 lol) works ok with the standard ecu and does make the car feel alot more frisky when coupled to some decent headwork and a decent flowing system etc.(personally had this moons ago before my current setup).

I will just repeat what stu said tho, IF you do go the twin forty route find a decent rolling road as it will save you hundreds over time. Defo stay away from this guy that has 'fiddled' with your standard engine as i havent laughed so much in weeks lol. Just for reference the standard engine when new was around 74-76bhp@ wheels. My own 'nippy' 1.6 is around 114bhp @ wheels and is in a different league completely (power and performance) so i can promise you either you got the figures wrong or you were taken for a complete mug which has made you look a small bit daft on here. (first lesson in rolling road lies)

SRlew
15-04-06, 08:18 PM
well that made for an intresting readlol

Lee
15-04-06, 09:16 PM
sorry, must go to the loo, i just let out a little bit of wee lol lol lol

Adam
15-04-06, 09:18 PM
(standard is not 270 lol)

Lol.
Perhaps i read something wrong.
Could of swore thats what i read,hmmm,Lol.

I'll check again. lol

Adam
15-04-06, 09:28 PM
It might of been the Irmscher Nova Sport cam i read about, is that around the 270mark maybe?

Stuart
16-04-06, 08:09 AM
gte can on and eyeball duration check looks about 240-250ish tops

Adam
16-04-06, 01:03 PM
It must of been some other cam i read about then.
O well,Lol.