PDA

View Full Version : loud clicking from engine

SRlew
14-04-06, 09:07 PM
well was on bit of a downer as i just co*ked up a bit of lacquer on my freshly paints wheels. so went for a drive round some backroads. on the way back i noticed a loud clicking noise. pulled up at my house opened the bonnet and it sounds like it coming from around the carb or the middle of the engine area.

and even my brother heard it in his room.
its not anything catching, i took my K&N off and it all looks fine there.
it still drives fine and revs fine. sounds bit less than a diesel, its like one click clicking if you all know what i mean.

i know you all carnt really tell without seeing/hearing it but can any one try to narrow it down for me?

cheers, lew

mikey14sr
14-04-06, 09:12 PM
Might have been the lifters, I've had previous engine sound tappety after a hard run.

SRlew
14-04-06, 09:33 PM
yer i did push the the engine a bit but no more than usual really. never had it sound like this before though. will it sort its self out?

in a way im not too botherd as im thinking of starting to build a high spec engine next month, but still this engine will have to keep strong till then!

cheers, lew

Riggy
17-04-06, 09:56 AM
sounds daft but mine was making a bit of a clicking noise and it was the manifold gasket had split

Geth
17-04-06, 11:59 AM
I had a clicking noise coming from my engine after a rebuild, turned out I had a loose engine mount bolt and every so often it would make a loud click as it moved back and forth in the mount.

Stanley
17-04-06, 12:26 PM
i had the same thing happen to me once

went out in an angry mood and hammered the car for a good 30mins and came back andd it was ticking like fook.

stick a screwdriver on top of the rocker cover(pointing towards the ground) above where each piston will be and stick the handle against your ear. do it on top of each piston and if its tappets youl hear it loud and clear(yes it sound wierd but trust me).

other than that, i aint got a clue bud lol