PDA

View Full Version : Broken bonnet catch

Welsty
12-04-06, 07:13 PM
Hi all.... it's about time i got my Nov going again. It's been sitting doing nothing for over 2 years now but has been started and driven a few times since then. Problem is, last time i tried to pop the bonnet to stick in the battery the bonnet release cable snapped! Now I have to break into the bonnet. Is there an easy way to do this without destroying the grille or do i have to get my big screwdriver out and then go to the scrappy for a new grille?!! Any help on this is much appreciated. Cheers.

db_1.2
12-04-06, 07:19 PM
this happend to me on a golf once! it took about 2 hours, we took the front bumper off and radiator and slam panel but after taking slam panel off we found out the bonnet could open with slam panel still attacthed to the bonnet! also we had to take lights out it was a bugger! i would say it would be even harder on a nova! gd luck with it:thumb:

richardsneddon
12-04-06, 07:22 PM
sounds like a job for the borrowers? lol Let me know ho you do it cos ive got one in the garage exactly the same

LUV2XLR8
12-04-06, 08:22 PM
get a monkey wrench then grab the bit that holds the bonette in place, turn it clockwise this should creat a bigger gap pussing the bonet upwards. when this is done try the catch lever and the bonet should open. if not keep unwinding until the thing comes out.

mowgli
12-04-06, 08:57 PM
the quickest way is to remove the grille, and maybe the bumper

Welsty
12-04-06, 09:31 PM
cheers for the suggestions. I will try when it's dry and I have a free moment. Might be another week or so yet though. Tis quite wet in Aberdeenshire still!

Donova
12-04-06, 09:55 PM
When I worked for british gas they used to attach a spare bit of wire alongside the proper one and let it hang down in front of the rad, saved a load of grief if one ever snapped not very security conscious though:)

Welsty
13-04-06, 11:45 PM
It was dead easy and took me about 2 mins! I managed to pop out the bottom of the grille and used a long screwdriver to push the spring across and away from the latch. Up it popped! Even better is that it started first try after sitting since Aug 2004! It has a big water leak from under the inlet manifold and the exhaust has rusted but it ran! There's hope yet. I took some pics and will post them when I get my bluetooth to work.