PDA

View Full Version : Track rod ends

raver
11-04-06, 03:40 PM
Just found out that the reason my wheels rub the inner arches is due to the steering being off on the piss, ive got 2+1/2 turns to full lock left and 1+1/4 to the right. At a guess the track rod ends have been put on or adjusted and the rack wasnt centered. Just wondering how to adjust these and unseize them if i do have a go at sorting the problem.

2LBaz
11-04-06, 05:11 PM
go to kwik fit mate-?25

I wouldnt normally condone using such people but they have there uses.

raver
11-04-06, 05:19 PM
Fair enough, was tryin to avoid using such places, might give them a go tho. went to ATS earlier and they told me they wernt allowed to do it which i thought was a bit strange.

mikey14sr
11-04-06, 05:39 PM
Rack centering dimensions are in the haynes, you could roughly reset it yourself and then have it checked by someone like kwik-fit.

raver
12-04-06, 12:07 PM
Just got back from quick fit, they wont touch it. looks like tryin myself.

General Baxter
12-04-06, 12:51 PM
why wont they do it?

Stuart
12-04-06, 12:58 PM
most places wont do lowered cars. mainly as the gear they use wnt fit under the rear arches.

also nova track rod ends are bastids and tend to sieze up which causes grief.

mikey14sr
12-04-06, 12:59 PM
Well this is how I did mine.

Jacked up the front end and put axle stands under the car.(you need the wheels free from the ground)
Slackened off the lock nuts for the rod-ends.
Turn the steering wheel to obtain the centering dimension given in the great green book(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/novahaynes.jpg).
Now take a look at the direction the wheels are pointing in, yours will probably point left at this stage.
What you need to do now is turn the track rod on the right-hand-side to shorten its length, this should bring the right wheel to the straight-ahead position.
The left-hand track-rod now needs to be lengthend in the same way until the left wheel points straight-ahead.
Tighten up the locknuts, reset your steering wheel by taking it off and putting it back on straight.

Now find someone who will do your tracking.

This is how I did mine when I changed the rack, Turned out it was only 1/2 degree out when I got it checked.

Stuart
12-04-06, 01:06 PM
^^^ instesting!

mikey14sr
12-04-06, 01:07 PM
^^^ instesting!

spellcheck?